Chapter 40: "Hostages"

The Sea Train flew off the tracks and barreled into Eines Lobby, the wheels screeching on the stone of the ground. You flattened yourself to the floor of the train, wishing fervently that Luffy hadn't thrown himself forward before everyone else and challenged the entire military island to a fight.

You yowled as the train tipped over, sliding across the ground with a shriek of steel. When it finally stopped, you sat up shakily, hugging your stomach. 'Thank goodness I'm okay...'

"We're hostages!" You looked up at where Kokoro, Chimney, and Gombe were looking out of a hole in the train with their hands up. "There's another hostage in there too. A pregnant girl!"

"I am not a hostage!" You spat.

She rolled her eyes and dropped back down next to you. "Sorry, doll, but you're going to have to act. A pirate pregnant with the child of another pirate who literally just went to war with the entirety of the world? Don't tell me you don't know exactly where they'll be aiming their guns."

You ducked your head, admitting defeat. "Alright."

"Good. Now cry a little. Play the victim. Poor girl taken by pirates. Being pregnant will give you some leverage, especially if they think it wasn't your idea."

You snarled. "Many things I can lie about, but my kits? Luffy would never-"

She whapped you on the head. "I know that! But they don't. Now go. Shoo."

Hissing with annoyance, you stalked toward the hole and pulled yourself from the wreckage of the train. Marines immediately took your arms and led you down, fussing.

You shook the majority of them off, uncomfortable with the attention. "A-Are you alright, miss?" You turned to see a pale-haired boy with freckles scattered across his cheeks. "I-I'm Cody."

You looked at the boy in shock. Something about the way he ducked his head and shuffled nervously reminded you of a certain pink-haired boy. 'And his name is Cody...' Aloud, you said, "Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

"We're you really a hostage?"

You nodded. "Yes. I was." Faking a shudder of fear, you mewled quietly, "It was terrifying..."

He gently patted your arm. "H-How long...?"

"Quite a while." Your wrapped your arms around your stomach, drawing the boy's eyes downward.

"Is the baby...?" He left the question unfinished.

"It's his... The Captain's."

"Oh! I-I'm so sorry!"

You looked away, like it hurt to even think about it, but really you were just trying to hide the emotion that burned in your eyes. You hated this, hated lying about your Luffy. He was so sweet. He would never...

Shaking off the train of thought, you turned back to Cody. "It's okay. I'm fine. This baby will grow up far away from pirates. I'll make sure of that."

Cody gently took hold of your hand, hesitantly, like he thought you'd push him away. "You're so brave! I wish I could be brave like you..."

"Of course you can." You ran a hand through his sandy colored hair. "Bravery isn't being fearless, Coby. It's fighting even when you're scared."

"Coby?"

"Ah. Sorry. He's..." What was Coby to you? How could you explain it? Smiling you said. "He's a Marine. And my son. You remind me of him."

"Wait, like, Coby? Pink-hair? He's your son? WHAT EVEN IS LIFE?!"

You purred, tail curling up with amusement. "Yes, he's my son. If you see him, tell him his mother misses him, okay?"

"O-Of course I will!"

The boy bowed and you smiled. He really did seem a lot like Coby... He started to run around, getting food, water, a blanket, anything you might possibly need. You settled down, relaxed. Looking toward where the Doors of Justice reared up over the horizon, your ears pressed flat against your head. 'Luffy.' You thought. 'Please save Robin. And please, please, come back to me.'