Chapter 56: ...What Are We Supposed To Do Now?

Luffy's hand running through your fur was almost enough to make you break down in tears again. After so long of missing him, to find him and nearly lose him- even now, after more than two weeks, you'd barely come to terms with it. You raised your broad cat head and pressed your muzzle against his side, giving a weak purr that quickly fell to silence. Stars above, you'd missed him. Missed him so fiercely that the hole it had burned in your chest still wasn't quite filled. Like a part of you didn't quite believe he was real.

Leaned back against your fluffy side, Luffy shifted to wrap both arms around your big head, pressing his face to your cheek. You could feel the way he shivered with fear sometimes, like he wasn't quite sure you were real either.

His wound was finally starting to heal, his battered body pulling itself back together, but neither of you were at full strength. It didn't help that Law had seemed determined to keep you two apart. Maybe he thought you'd do something dumb and get hurt if you were in proximity. But eventually, once Luffy was no longer in a critical state, he'd relented. And, not surprising you at all, you immediately began to feel better, the stress of being apart from him replaced by a sense of protective belonging.

"Meh!"

Daniel squealed, your kit twisting in his brother's grip. Little Ace had him in a vice grip, biting down hard on his scruff, growling softly.

Gently, you reached out a paw to separate them, twitching your ears. Let go when he cries. Little Ace just glared at you with deep black eyes and sunk his teeth into you instead, shifting into a small black kitten and pummelling your pad with sharp hind claws. Purring a bit stronger, you shook him loose easily. He was such a fierce little biter, so different from his quiet brother.

The kits went back to playing and you lowered your head, flicking your tail around to lay over Luffy's lap. It was almost easy, what your life had become. Almost okay, to lay here and listen to your kits scuffling in the sand while Luffy's rubbed you absently around the ears. If not, of course, for this hollow space that bled where your heart used to be. If not for the agonising absence of your crew, your family. You could see it on Luffy's face, every time you looked at him, it was all he could think of too. Where was your ship? Your sniper? Your cook and swordsman and doctor and musician? Were there books where Robin was? Was Nami safe, wherever she'd landed? Had Franky's metal parts fared better or worse than the flesh and bone?

Luffy tugged at one of your ears and you raised your head again, giving him a tired look. Not that he looked much better. "You know, (Y/N), I think... I think this is where I landed before I went to-..." He broke off, his voice becoming small and weak. "When I went to go get Ace."

Your ears pricked at that. Here? On this island of nothing but women? Law had told you that it was unusual for him to even be allowed on this one unbothered shore. He was illegal here simply for being a man. So how had Luffy, of all people, lived here for so long?

Did they think he was a girl?

You looked up at his round face and purred weakly, lightly amused. Yes, he could pass for a young woman if he ever kept that shirt buttoned.

Luffy continued to rub his hands through your fur, a small smile on his face. "No, they didn't. They definitely tried to kill me. A lot. They wanted me super dead." His voice drifted into a higher note on the Super, a soft imitation of Franky's harsh, excited tones. "But then some things happened and I ended up helping Hancock's sister and they stopped wanted me dead."

You blinked. Hancock? Her name was Hancock?

Luffy's smile briefly flickered into a grin. "Yeah, I know! It's so weird. I didn't mention it though, cuz I remembered what you said about not making fun of peoples' names after I made Usopp cry on accident." He waved a hand, not quite dismissively. "Anyway. Some of the people here know me and I think I recognise a few. And Hancock definitely visited me, but I guess she also could have left her island..." His brow furrowed and he eventually shrugged. "I'm pretty sure though. Smells the same."