Chapter 23: Sick

The nausea woke you up. Already heaving, mouth filling with spit as fast as you could swallow it, you staggered out the door and managed to get to the edge of the ship before throwing up over the side.

"You okay?"

You looked at Luffy, who had followed after and held your hair out of your face. "Y-Yeah. I'm fine Luffy... Fine."

"Is that... Normal?"

"Yeah, sweetie, I'm okay."

He stood awkwardly for a second, holding his hands in front of him. Then, quietly, he asked, "...Is it my fault?"

"Oh hun." You hugged him close, gently rubbing his back. "I guess in a way it is, but I'll deal with a little sickness if it means I can give you kits."

He hugged you back, resting his chin on the top of your head. "Okay... You sure you're okay?"

"Positive." You let him go, turning to walk away.

"(Y/N)."

You turned back around, head tipped to the side. "Hmm? What is it?"

Luffy bit his lip and looked down. He hesitated a moment longer before saying. "You don't have to."

"Have to... What exactly?"

"Have them."

You stiffened, claws sliding out. Was he really suggesting...?

"If you don't want to, then-" he didn't get any farther. Your claws broke through the skin on his arm, and he yelped, looking down in shock at the bleeding wounds.

"Monkey D. Luffy." You snarled his name. "If you ever suggest that I kill my own kits again, I will no longer be your mate, understand?"

He flinched. "I didn't... I just... I'm sorry..." He sniffed, whimpering.

You sighed and gently hugged him again. "It's okay... I'm sorry I hurt you, Luffy."

"I deserved it..."

"Yes, but I'm still sorry. Come on, let's go get Chopper to bandage it up. Okay?"

Luffy nodded and let you lead him inside, still giving an occasional sniff. "And Luffy?" He looked up at you. "I do want this. I want them. Nothing could make me happier than to raise kits with you."

He relaxed, pulling you close and hugging you tight. "I just want you to be happy," he muttered into your hair.

"I am, Luffy. I really am."

Chopper finished wrapping up Luffy's arm and went to check up on you. "Yep." He said. "You're both fine. But Luffy, what happened to you?"

"(Y/N) scratched me."

"What? Why!?"

"I umm... Said something I shouldn't have."

Seeing that he wouldn't get anything from the rubber man, Chopper turned to you, a questioning look of his face. You shook your head. The reindeer huffed and walked away, bummed that he wasn't filled in on the drama.

You sat next to Luffy and gently took hold of his hand. "Love you."

"Love you too... (Y/N)?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you ever wonder what Ace is doing?"

You looked at him, confused at the sudden mention of your older brother. "Sometimes. Why?"

Luffy grinned. "You scratching me just reminded me of how you always used to try and claw Ace when he stole your food."

"Or yours," you said, resting your head on Luffy's shoulder.

'I wonder... What is Ace doing?"

Portgas D. Ace leaned against the railing of the Moby Dick and looked up at the stars. "Well, Sabo," he said. "You were right."

Reaching into his pocket Ace took out a handful of gold coins. "Still can't believe it myself. Little bros, now husband and wife. Time really flies huh? ... I wish you were here to see them... He... He looked real happy, bro. Our little brother looked real happy..."

Ace wiped the tears out of his eyes and held the handful of coins over the water. "You won, Blondie. So I guess this ain't mine anymore, huh? Here you go." He dropped the coins into the water, sighing. "Yours now..."

"Hey Sabo? Wherever you are, just... Just look after them for me, okay? Watch em. You know how they act up when one of us ain't around."

He stayed there, watching the stars till the horizon brightened with dawn.

"Watch them for me."