Chapter 3: A Swordsman

You sunk your claws into the ropes that bound Zolo, slashing at the ridiculous amount of binding material. You looked toward the giant Marine base, knowing that Luffy was in there, looking for this moss-head's weapon.

You shifted a little closer to Coby. He needed a lot of support, the little coward. Together you worked on the ropes, stopping only when someone shouted at you to do so.

Ears pricked, you watched the horde of Marines stand to attention, raising their rifles. Well this didn't look good. You moved in front of Coby, hoping to protect him from bullets. The boy was practically your own kit by now, and you didn't want him to be hurt. Only one thing to do now, and that was to call your mate. You took a deep breath, tipped your head back, and caterwauled to the sky.

A few of the Marines, not expecting such a noise to come from you, jumped back a little. However they ended up jumping back forward when an answering call came from inside their own building. With a giant crash, Luffy threw himself out a window, three swords tucked under his arm.

He landed just as the Marines opened fire. Coby screamed and buried his face in your leg, Zolo looked horrified, but you just watched, knowing full well that bullets couldn't hurt him. Luffy, after giving Zolo his swords, ran off toward the Marines, with the now-free swordsman close on his heels.

A few of the Marines were still daring to point a gun a you and Coby. Snarling, you decided it was time those Marines learned that you were more of a beast than you looked.

Unlike a Devil Fruit power, yours was there since birth, as is the norm for your kind. Being able to go from human to beast could be quite handy. (H/C) fur covered your body as hands and feet turned to paws, and arms turned to forelegs. Long tail, thick fur, and with a muzzle full of sharp teeth, when you wished, you could be a cat the size of a lion.

Coby screamed and fell back, as you expected, while you stood tall on all four paws, head and tail raised. You stood over Coby, snarling, fur bushed out, daring anyone to try and hurt your kit.

"(Y-Y/N)?!"

You turned your head toward Coby and purred. He relaxed at the sound, though he still seemed a little unsure.

Watching Zolo and Luffy fight, you may have gotten a little distracted. It wasn't really your fault, what with all the dust and commotion. But that didn't change the fact that some blond brat was pointing a gun at Coby's head. Snarling, you whipped around, planning to rip that little snot's throat out, but there was no guarantee that he wouldn't pull the trigger before you pounced.

Dimly, you heard Coby, Luffy, and the blond, wasn't his name Helmeppo or something? , having a conversation, but it was mostly tuned out as you strained all your senses for the moment you could attack. That moment came when your lover punched that brat right in the face.

The second Coby was out of the gun's sight you pounced, sinking your fangs into the blond's clothes and shaking him like a dog shakes a toy. Jerking your head to the side, you tossed him away before pouncing again when he started to get up.

Zolo watched you, one eyebrow raised. "She's really somethin', ain't she Captain?"

Luffy grinned as big as he possible could. "Yep!"

~ Time Skeep ~

You pouted, looking over the edge of the boat at the water below. 'Now that he's gone, I kinda miss all his whining...' You couldn't help but miss the little pink-haired boy, who turned out to be not so cowardly after all. You'd kinda started to think of him as yours, and you were worried about leaving him all alone.

Luffy sat down next to you, pulling you close. "Hey."

"Hey."

He rested his head on your shoulder, one hand gently rubbing your stomach. "Luffy?"

"Hmm?"

"Where are we going to go now?"

"Dunno."

"Hm."

Silence for a moment.

"You miss Coby?"

You nodded.

"I kinda do too. He wasn't so bad."

Another silence.

"It's getting kind of late." Luffy murmured against your neck. You shivered at the feel of his warm breath, so close to your bare skin. Gosh, you wished he weren't so innocent. But considering how small the boat was, and the fact that Zolo was here now, you probably couldn't do what you wanted even if he did know how.

Sometimes fate just decides to throw you a curveball. Like, for instance, having a mate that didn't know what 'making love' meant.

Oh well. You loved him to bits, either way.

As the night wore on, and the moon rose above the oceans surface, you laid down with Luffy, purring as he pressed against your back, holding your hands in his. "G' night..." He muttered.

"Good night, sweetie..."

He shifted, leaning forward and turning your head to press a gentle kiss to your lips. "I love you."

"I love you too, Luffy."

A little bit away, Zolo was trying to block out all sound and sleep. It didn't work too well, and the sound of you two loving each other kept him awake.

Poor moss-head.

(Authors Note Thingy: If you've read this far, then thank you will all my heart! I hope you don't mind that I used the manga name Zolo as opposed to the anime's Zoro. And sorry if it's going to fast. It'll probably be at a skippy speed until I get most of the crew members. Hope you don't mind!)