Chapter 1: At Sea

You yawned, having just awoken from a less-than-deep sleep. Attempting to move, you found that your arms were held to your side by Luffy, whose arms were wrapped around you at least five times. 'How am I gunna get out of this...?' you thought, shifting.

Turns out, you didn't have to wait very long. Luffy woke up soon after you and put his arms back where they belonged. The two of you sat up in your little dinghy in the middle of nowhere.

You'd only recently left your hometown, and seeing as neither of you knew anything about navigating, you had both decided to just drift, spending the time eating, sleeping, or cuddled up together doing absolutely nothing.

Looking out now at the vast ocean you noticed something less than okay. "Umm... Luffy?"

"Yeah?"

"I'd hate to rush you with anything..."

"Mmhmm."

"But there's a whirlpool over there."

"What?!" He struggled up and jumped over to you, rocking the whole boat. "Hey! There is a whirlpool! Cool!"

You turned you head to gently nuzzle his neck and said, "Yes sweetie, it's cool. And also deadly. I don't think our little dinghy can handle being sucked into a whirlpool."

"Awwww..." He pouted for a second. "But I like our dinghy."

"I know, but nature doesn't care, and we need to figure out something or we'll both die a horrible, watery death."

Finally seeming to understand at the mention of 'water' and 'death', Luffy looked around at what little you two had. Seeming to decide on a barrel, he opened it and looked inside. "Yup. Empty."

He then picked you up, dumped you inside, and squeezed in after you, shutting the lid and shutting out the light.

Being the cat that you are, you struggled furiously in the dark, cramped space, flailing and screeching, claws unsheathed. Eventually managing to sit upright, you calmed down a little, though your tail was still fluffed out to twice its size.

"Monkey D. Luffy, I swear if you ever do that to me again..."

"You'll what?"

"I'll do a thing, and it won't be a good thing."

"Shishishi! Okay then."

You huffed and leaned forward, sniffing you way around to figure out what of him was where. As it turns out he was sitting up too, so no more flailing was required from either of you.

Your nose picked up the scent of blood and you mewled in surprise. "Oh no! Did I scratch you?"

"Yes, but only a little."

"Oh baby, I'm sorry!" You scooched closer to him, sniffing him all over and gently running your tongue over the scratches.

"I'm okay! Don't fuss over me, woman!"

You rolled your eyes. "Shut up and stop moving. You're dirty anyway." And so, while your pathetic little boat was destroyed in a whirlpool, and your barrel was set adrift, you gently licked Luffy's cuts and scrapes, cleaned off his face, and messed with his hair, before curling up against him and falling asleep.

~ Le Time skeep ~

Coby, a rather small boy with soft pink hair, shivered in fear and prayed that he was out of sight. He was the cabin boy for a group of pirates ordered by Iron-Mace Alvida, a hideous, fat, old hag that was convinced she was beautiful.

Coby was, in one word, a massive coward. He desperately wanted to leave, but he was too scared of the punishment for trying. And besides, he told himself, how far could a weak thing like me get?

Fate was not favoring Coby, because right when he thought he might not get found doing nothing by any of Alvida's crew, three of them walking in lugging a wine barrel. They, of course, did their best to scare him into secrecy of the wine barrel they planned to keep for themselves, and Coby, of course, was scared into secrecy.

The wine barrel, however, did not contain wine, as they all learned when a dark-haired man with a straw hat erupted out of it. Said man got into a fight with the other crew members and chased them off, while Coby just stared on in awe. He'd never seen anyone so powerful. "E-Excuse me!" he whimpered. "Who are you?"

The man turned around and grinned. "I'm Monkey D. Luffy!"

Then a woman came out of the barrel. Well, maybe not a woman. She was most definitely a she, no doubt about it, but she also had a tail and cat ears on the top of her head. What a strange creature. Luffy's pet maybe?

"This is (Y/N)!" Luffy introduced the cat/lady thing, and she half bowed.

"Hello there, kit." And she could speak!

Trying not to forget his manners, Coby bowed back and introduced himself.

"That's great. I'm hungry." Luffy started to walk off and (Y/N) padded after him.

You followed Luffy as he went in search of food with your mouth open to check for scents. Tasting food, you brushed your tail against his thigh and walked toward where your nose was leading, knowing he would follow.

The little kit, Coby he said his name was, followed after, fear-scent coming off him in waves. Poor baby.

Finding the food, you nudged the door open and Luffy brushed past you, sniffing for anything he could eat. Eventually settling near a box full of fruit he chowed down, stuffing himself as fast as possible. You purred and went in search of your own food, sniffing here and there at things that seemed edible.

Luffy, taking a moment to stop shoving fruit in his mouth, noticed you were still looking for food. Being the adorable weirdo he is, he grabbed an apple in his mouth instead of with his hands and crawled over to you. He dropped the food in front of you and, having learned affection from a cat, licked your ear before crawling back and eating again.

You purred deeply, taking the food he offered and eating much slower than him. The kit, you really needed to start using his name, was jabbering on about how his captain was some big scary woman that was gunna kill you two. One ear swiveled in his direction, you half listened to his words. The poor kit really was terrified.

A bit later, after a rather bonding experience in which little Coby decided to grow a pair and leave Alvida to follow his dreams and become a Marine, said ugly pirate lady crashed through the roof.

It was going to be fun getting out of this one.