Chapter 33: Fix The Merry Go?

You were curled up at Luffy's feet, ears twitching restlessly. He was talking to a man named Iceberg about having the Merry Go fixed up. Apparently Iceberg was Water Seven's leader. What did they call him? Mayor? You shook out your fur. It didn't matter what he was called, so long as he fixed your ship.

You waited, ears straining to hear past the clamor of the shipwrights. Ice-guy, as Luffy calls him, had sent someone to your ship to look at it. Kaku, his name was. Your tail twitched and your claws scraped uselessly against the stone beneath you.

You saw some of the passing people give you uneasy glances, eyes trained toward your massive paws. You showed your teeth, purring with amusement as they scurried away.

You turned your head, ears pricked, as Kaku finally arrived. Luffy swung one leg over your back, and settled just behind your shoulders. You got to your paws, Luffy on your back, and turned toward the orange-haired shipwright.

"Well?" Luffy leaned forward. "How much will it take to fix her? We have a lot!"

Nami put down the three suitcases filled with beli gained from the gold taken from Skypiea. You nudged one forward with your muzzle.

Kaku crossed his arms. "I'm not going to sugarcoat it. That ship is unfixable, even for us. She'll never sail again."

Your ears flattened in surprise and you felt Luffy stiffen.

"If it's money, we can pay it!" You could hear the desperation in your mate's voice.

"It's not money!" Kaku snapped. "The keel's broken, nothing and no one can replace a broke keel. We'd have to remake the whole ship!"

"Then remake the ship!"

Another man stepped forward, with long legs, dark hair, and a bird on his shoulder. You stepped back with his movement. You didn't like this man. He smelled like blood.

The man himself, Lucci, had yet to speak, but the bird on his shoulder flapped its wings and squawked. "But it wouldn't be the same. No two ships are completely identical. The small changes, the little differences, the people who would notice them the most would be the people who knew her the most. The ship's owners."

Luffy whimpered. You turned your head to press your muzzle against his leg, giving a purr of comfort. He gently ran a hand against the soft fur of your head. "Then what can we do?"

"My advice?" Iceberg shrugged. "Use that money to buy a new ship."

You hung your head, blocking out the shocked mutters that followed. This was it then. You knew Merry was in bad shape, but... To lose her... Giving the cat equivalent of a sigh, you turned and started to walk away.

Luffy tapped your head. "Oi. (Y/N). Where ya going?" You stopped and turned your head to look him in the eyes. After a moment he looked away. "I know. You're right but... Merry." You reached your tail up to rest against his shoulder for a moment before you started to move again, halted by Nami's exclamation of horror.

"Two of the suitcases! They're empty! Where has all my money gone?"

(Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. Guess I just got caught up in other things. I know that's no excuse... I'm sorry! *bows*)