Chapter 27

Pan’s POV

Flashback:

My mum tucked me into bed like she always does and kisses me on the forehead goodnight. 

“Mummy! Mummy tell me a story!”

She laughs softly at my eager persistence. She is the best storyteller and her soothing voice always rocks me to sleep.

“How about I tell you the story of-“

CRASH

“Marie! Where are you bitch! Get your ass over here!”

My daddy’s voice was vibrating off the walls of our house. The booming of is voice brought frightening tears to my eyes. My mum noticed and quickly picked me up to hide me in my closet. She grabbed my favorite crocodile stuff animal that I named Tick-tock and placed it in my shaking hands.

“I want you to stay in here no matter what you hear, okay Peter?”

“Mummy! Please don’t leave me!”

“MARIE!” His voice was getting louder and closer.

“Peter I want you to close your eyes and pretend you’re on an island. A place filled with other children your age to play with and beautiful waterfalls. Picture yourself flying over the vast forest and playing at night as late as you want. A place… a place you stay young forever and never have to grow up. You’re there. Not here. Go there for me and don’t come back til I come get you.”

My eyes close and nod my head in understanding. She kisses my forehead and walks away. From then on whenever daddy came home to punish mum I would go to my closet and I would go someplace else. A place my imagination and magic could one day take me for real. Neverland.

Lily’s POV

We walk back to the campsite in silence. Felix telling us that someone new arrived in Neverland made me confused and anxious. Pan is the one who has a say on who comes here. He was surprised as I was.

I noticed Peter had a vacant look in his eyes. A lost glassy stare. I nudge him softly making him blink a couple of times and look my way.

“You okay?” I ask gently. He takes my hand in his and pulls me along behind him with a harsh tug.

“I’m fine,” he spits out. I frown at the way he reacted but decide to let it go. He probably just has a lot on his mind.