Chapter 3

I was dragged deeper into the dark trees of the forest. He said nothing to me nor I to him on the way to where ever he was taking me. His words from earlier chilled me to the bone. The fun has just begun.

The longer we walked the angrier I became. Who does this guy think he is? Someone who was close to my age thinks he can bully me into doing what he says?

I’m no fool to know that he is in fact dangerous. He did just pull a knife on me not too long ago. Who knows what he is capable of? For now I plan to bide my time and find the right opportunity to run.

We walk through a clearing with a lit up fire. Boys around Pan’s age, some younger, we hovered around the flaming fire. The light cascaded onto their faces looked haunting and menacing.

“Boys!”

“Meet Lilly! She is the next.” The next? 15 boys were around a campfire and they all grinned at Pans words in a silent understanding. He pushed me into the dirt and walked over to the others.

“Get your weapons!” All the boys but one moved at his words. The one that stayed seated looked over at me and gave me a pained look. I crawled closer to him. 

“What’s your name?” I ask quietly. He looks over at me then back to his feet not answering. I was silent, biting down on my lip harshly in frustration.

“I’m Bae,” he responds, timidly.

 I look up surprised he finally spoke. I glance around at the others but they paid me no attention. Finding the courage to get more answers, I continue to talk.

“I'm Lily. What did he mean by the next?” I asked.

He looks up at me trying to find his words. “Every time shadow brings a new girl to the island Pan calls them the next,” he explains. “Depending on how much he likes the girl is how long she stays alive.” Wait what?

 “What are you saying? He’s going to kill me?” I choke a little on the word kill not wanting to believe it. This was worse then I thought.

“Eventually yes. He will play games with you first. Torture and humiliation is what he does. Girls don’t last very long, but maybe you’ll be different.” His eyes turn glassy in sadness. I think I’m about to be sick.

“Why me? I don’t understand?”

“He picked you because you're strong, beautiful, and a fighter. Pan doesn't like weak ones. They always die the fastest,” he says bluntly.

My tongue turned useless, incapable of speech. Turning away I wrap my hands around myself, trying to level my ragged breathing. Tears purged me as a rage festered deep within. Perversely, I took strength in that. I would fight.