18

Sorry for not updating you guys, I've been pretty uninterested in writing and a sequence of unfortunate events has happened to me, but I'm back. Also this chapter is unedited sooo.

Chapter 18

The movies were more crowded than Robin presumed they would have been. The smell of fresh, buttered popcorn swirled around the air like the incoming fall's tawny and orange leaves. People of all ages, mainly teenagers and children holding onto their long-armed mothers, filtered into the amphitheater, filling it with noise and wails of tiny children. This made Robin question some of the mothers' mindsets on letting their children go see Jaws, but to each his own, she thought. Robin and Amandla pulled up into the spot, carefully rotating the area to see if they could find River's beat up Chevrolet Corvair.

"Ya see it anywhere?" Amandla barked, smacking on her cinnamon scented gum, blowing a pinkish bubble out of her heart shaped, garnet painted lips.

Robin craned her head as she looked out the window of the passenger seat of Amandla's car. All that surrounded her was the glare of the movie screen at the very front of the lot, darkness and mowed grass. She leaned back in her seat,

"Nope."

Amandla continued to drive, the both of them awaiting the sight of River's car as they looked tentatively out of each window, neither of them paying attention to the path ahead of them. Robin was about to curse in frustration, but she was held back by Amandla's blood-curdling shriek. She flinched and her immediate reaction was to pop her head to the left where the source of the ear-crackling noise was coming from. Amandla seemed to recede, her hand clutching her chest and her shoulders heaving up and down as she recovered from her fright and breathed heavy breaths. Robin looked out the window to see that the only thing Amandla was afraid of was the sudden sight of River's face nearly squashed up against the window adjacent to the front seat with a glassy eyed smile. Robin smiled reluctantly, shaking her head in disapproval as she looked his way, shouting,

"You're something man. Roll the window down, Amandla."

Amandla hurriedly rolled down the window and the two girls were greeted with the sound of River's hearty laughter. He bared his teeth and stumbled back, clutching his stomach as he bent over laughing.

"River, what the hell! You scared the hell outta me, I should really beat your ass," Amandla threatened, opening the car door, stepping out with dramatic flair and closing it shut behind her. Robin was quick to follow, exiting the car herself and walking around it to get to the two.

"You're an ass, Riv," Robin added to Amandla's petulant commentary, rolling her eyes playfully.

"Is that so? Hey, Amandla, why don't you park somewhere, we'll catch you later. Gotta tell Robin somethin' private," River nodded over to Amandla's car and tentatively scratched the nape of his neck. Robin thought nothing of it, in fact she was in such a good mood that the idea of technically lying to her parents didn't even bother her.

"River, you are such a-" Amandla opened her mouth to tell River off more, but he turned on the charm, widening his puppy dog eyes and frowning.

"Please?" he cooed.

Amandla scoffed indignantly,

"I oughta run you over, that's what I should do. Scared the hell out of me, you know."

She did as she was asked anyway, and got back into the car, speeding off to find an eligible spot to park.

"So what's up, Riv?" Robin inquired with a steady smile on her face, hands stuck far down her back pockets as she inched towards him, left leg swinging around the right.