41

Chapter Forty One

"I don't think I've seen this many people in this joint at one time," Feldman remarked.

The majority of Fenway High goers, most of them being Juniors and Seniors, a few Sophomores awkwardly sandwiched in here and there, were at Johnny Rockets. The diner was more bustling than it had ever been during the past month, due to the fact that kids were celebrating the early release of school with french fries and milkshakes.

River wrinkled his nose up at the sight- meat everywhere. It was in the cheeseburgers, the hot dogs, the ribs, and the sandwiches. It was easy to say he was disgusted.

It had been just about a month since Robin and River started officially being boyfriend and girlfriend, yet people still couldn't really tell if they were together. Only their close group of friends knew, and the two of them of course. The two of them liked it that way, Robin especially, because it meant that the chance of being humiliated was lower, and she didn't have to worry that everyone knew all her personal business. That was just the thing about her personal business- it wasn't really personal at all. Twice she had been exploited at the school- but luckily neither time had been as destructive as the very first time she'd experienced exploitation of the highest degree. She liked the seclusion of being with River because the two of them were affectionate (River more than her), but they knew when and where to express their affection.

The last few weeks had been sort of hectic. College was like a ticking time bomb that was about to be dropped on them. Robin was mostly set, but since she was a transfer student, she had to put in a little extra work. However, due to her SAT scores from the spring of Junior year, college applications were a no brainer- Ivy League and non Ivy League private schools. Not all of them were in Boston, but all were on the East Coast.

River on the other hand, got a great score on the SATs, too, but wasn't quite sure what he wanted to do. His chances of getting into an Ivy League school weren't as high as Robin's, but he'd still be able to go to a good school nonetheless. He knew he wanted to study environmental sciences and activism, but he still wasn't sure if college was for him- he thought he wanted to take a gap year. Neither of them were really very worried though, they knew they would have their differences when it came to further education and were only focusing on living in the present instead of worrying about the future.

"It's gross in here," he said, breaking her out of her thoughts.

She squeezed his hand,

"Come on, tough it out."

They started walking over to their table and River nagged,

"When is it you said you would go vegan?"

"After Thanksgiving. Now sit down," Robin rolled her eyes and squeezed into the booth with him.

It was her, River, the two Coreys and Heather and Elizabeth, so the usual. When the waitress came along, so as not to upset River so much, Robin ordered fries and a black bean burger with a shake, and River ordered the same. When they all finished eating they didn't clear out so fast, they just hung around with each other. There was lots to do there anyway, Feldman was occupied with the arcade machines, Heather and Elizabeth were playing Pump the Fiesta, and Corey was humoring himself by playing a terrible rendition of Tiny Dancer on the grubby grand piano. Meanwhile, River and Robin were at the diner counter sharing a soda.

"So, you spend Thanksgiving with your parents?" River asked.

"Yeah. Used to be a whole family party back in Georgia. We might have some relatives fly in," Robin shrugged.

"That's nice," River nodded. "You know, my family and I don't always celebrate Thanksgiving."

"Yeah, why's that?" Robin asked, taking a sip of the sugary drink from a straw.