30 - Homecoming

Chapter Thirty

(Monday). It was safe to say Robin didn't feel sick anymore. She had been hanging out with River and the rest of her friends the whole day and fall was really in the air now. The school was advertising posters for the homecoming dance on October 12, which was only about a month away. Robin hadn't really paid attention to it since she didn't exactly plan on going in the first place. She'd been to homecoming before at her old school in Georgia and even though she went with Jesus, it was still not all glimmer and sparkles like it advertised to be, and since she didn't have friends at that school, it was actually pretty boring.

Robin stood stone-faced in front of a poster for homecoming. In big blue and green letters printed across a white layout, it read:

FENWAY HIGH HOMECOMING

SAVE THE DATE!

GAME: 6 PM FRIDAY OCTOBER 11

DANCE: 7:30 PM SATURDAY OCTOBER 12

VOTE YOUR HOMECOMING KING AND QUEEN!

She frowned in disdain at the flashy decorating done by the art students, and stood there with her arms folded as students walked past her in the background.

"It's a really good time, isn't it?" a voice asked from behind her.

Whoever it was put their hands on Robin's shoulders and smiled.

"Dennis..." Robin grumbled under her breath.

His hands traveled down her shoulders to either side of her body, until they rested on her sides. He dug his neck into her shoulder and swayed gently from side to side, mumbling in her ear,

"You left so soon."

Robin rolled her eyes, sighing to herself, and gripped onto one of Dennis' hands that was snaked around her waist.

"Did I?" she raised a brow, not enjoying how uncomfortably close he was to her.

"Yeah. Why?"

Robin scoffed and whipped around out of his grasp, leaving his hands floating by his sides in the air. He looked at her with an unhinged jaw and she grit her teeth.

"Dennis, please. You can't keep coming around. It's like, really annoying," she sucked her teeth.

He cocked his head to the side,

"What are you talking about? Hey, as far as I'm concerned, we made a deal."

"Yeah, and I went through with it. You can leave me alone now, you know," Robin retorted.

Dennis huffed and clenched his fists,

"So, what are you tryna say?"

Robin frowned and put a hand on Dennis' shoulder,

"I don't know how to put this, but we're breaking up. It's not you, it's me. Oh wait, it is you."

Dennis grumbled under his breath and rolled his eyes, folding his arms,

"Shut up, we were never together."

Robin chuckled and put a hand over her mouth as she giggled, amused,

"Really? Because you're acting like it."

"Look, I-"

He paused suddenly, and Robin looked up into his eyes, waiting for him to go on as she gave him a criticizing look.