2 - Party

Chapter Two

    (Tuesday) Robin was in her room, painting her nails black, her favorite color in general. She liked the color gray too, it was so calming and simple. A majority of her clothing items were black, blue and gray. She had her window open since the AC in her room wasn't working, but she was satisfied with the natural cool air that would rush in every few minutes. They were better than the hot blasts Georgia provided her with when she just wanted to get cool during the summer. She could hear calls of adults and playful shrieks of children playing outside.

River crossed her mind a few times when she got ready after breakfast, but she didn't think it was such a good idea to go to his house. Her mom and dad were downstairs cutting up fruits and making sandwiches for brunch- it was around one thirty. Robin had woken up to find little newspaper articles on her bed that talked about classes she could take outside of school for writing and music. She'd skimmed through them briefly before breakfast was ready, and then broke from her room and got breakfast.

"Birdy! Come on down please!" her mother called her down by her nickname. Robin barely ever let anyone call her Birdy, just her closest friends and family.

"Okay, mom!" Robin called back, blowing on her fingernails and hoping they'd dry before she scraped them up against anything and ruined her nail polish.

She ran downstairs and picked up a bowl of fruit salad, placing it on the table in their back lawn. They'd be eating outside today since it was just so nice out, not too sticky or humid either. She went back into the kitchen and grabbed some small glasses from the cupboard, filling them with whatever juice was in the blender. It looked like her dad's famous watermelon juice that he only served on special occasions. But to her surprise, there was something else in the oven.

"Mom, what else is cooking?"

"Oh, just some pies. Your father made cherry and apple," her mom answered, nodding at her husband's impressive pie-making skills.

"Er, why is that?" Robin raised a brow and crossed her arms. It was brunch, not two small meals and a dessert.

"Oh calm down, Robin. We're just having a few guests over," Robin's mom waved at the air as if to dismiss the topic, pulling out more glasses and filling them with more watermelon juice.

"Like who?" she asked.

"Well the neighbors of course, and the people that live generally near us. Your dad didn't tell you about the housewarming party?"

Robin grit her teeth and her face muscles tightened- it was a known fact that Robin hated being told things too late, when there was nothing she could do about it and where she had no part in it at all whatsoever. It wasn't that she was selfish, she just liked to know things when she was supposed to instead of at the last minute where she couldn't even squeeze into the schedule. She didn't have plans or anything, but if they were inviting the people around them, that meant River could be at her house anytime soon.

    "Nope," Robin growled under her breath.

Her mom sighed exasperatedly and called for Robin's forgetful dad, walking around the house looking for him,

    "Hugh, you were supposed to tell Robin about the housewarming party! You know how she gets."

Robin rolled her eyes and brought all the cups outside, setting them on the table. She turned around to be greeted by the same blue eyes from yesterday, but in surprise she let out a little yelp.

    "What's all this?" River asked, his eyes roaming over the picnic table on her back lawn.

    "This thing my mom and dad... why are you here?" Robin trailed off.