4

Chapter Four

EGO - BEYONCE ; I'M KILLING YOU WITH THEM LEGS, BETTER YET THEM THIGHS, MATTER OF FACT IT'S MY SMILE, OR MAYBE MY EYES

River twisted his face up in confusion, wondering why she didn't want him out of there as soon as possible - that's what River would have expected from her anyway.

"Sure. Where are they?"

"Probably in my room, lounging. You know, they always hung out in my room back in Georgia," Robin replied as she began walking up the stairs.

River hesitantly followed her and she walked down the hall and turned to the left to get into her room.

"Won't your parents be angry i-if they find me here?" River whispered hesitantly.

"Naturally," Robin sighed.

She walked into her room and beckoned him inside- he walked in and closed the door behind him. Her cats were both sprawled out across her bed- looking up at River with curiosity in their brown eyes.

"That's Periwinkle and that's Potter," Robin pointed to her cats- both boys.

"Your pets have interesting names."

"Uh huh- the three P's are Pixie, Periwinkle and Potter. My dogs Senna and Stag sort of ruin the pattern, but it doesn't matter, they're still the best part of this family."

Robin scooped up Periwinkle off of her bed and set him down while Potter followed, always loyal in following Periwinkle wherever he went.

"That's real neat," River smiled.

A hint of a smile spread across Robin's thick lips before disappearing quickly.

"You can sit," Robin told him, gesturing over to her bed.

He nodded and then sat down onto her bed, folding his arms. She was in front of her vanity dresser on the other side of her room, flipping her hair back behind her shoulders. It was straightened today, instead of like her natural curly hair. River watched her in amazement as she took makeup wipes from on top of her vanity to wipe off her makeup and carefully discarded them in her trash bin. She pulled her sleek hair into a bun and twirled around, giggling to herself as she faced River.

To him, she was magnificent- she didn't seem to understand the sudden admiration he had for her.

"I'm thinking of something," River said, his finger fiddling with his bottom lip.

Robin plopped down onto the bed next to him, kicking her shoes off and watching them skid across the floor. She sat criss cross applesauce, attentive to his every word.

"Hmm?" she hummed, all attention on him, her head tilted his way.

He turned to look at her, finding his face not so far from her's. He seemed to bore his eyes into her's unknowingly, losing track of his mind's thoughts. What was he going to tell her again? She seemed to be whispering into his ear, in his head, but she wasn't - she was right in front of him, looking at him still, unsmiling, waiting for him to tell her his thoughts.

"Uh..." he finally stuttered, still gazing into her eyes.

She chuckled softly, her laugh like something miraculous- like the crinkly sound of rose petals brushing against each other. He didn't know her in the slightest, but her looks fascinated him - and there was something about her that attracted him, beyond her external appearance.

"Yes, River?" she cooed.

"Your eyes..."

"What?" she asked, the traces of a smile disappearing.

He snapped out of it too,

"I was- I was saying that your eyes are um, really pretty."

She snorted as his voice cracked on the word "pretty", but thanked him nonetheless,

"Well thanks, River. But really, what were you going to say?"

River collected himself and managed to pull together what he was going to say before his mind went slack,

"I was going to ask you what you wanted to be in life. I couldn't help but notice how gentle you were over there at the vanity, removing your makeup and all that. You want to use that gentleness in a career, or do you want to be something else?"

"Well, I've always wanted to sing and-" she cut herself off, though she knew she wanted a career in writing as well, "I love to sing, that's all."

"You do have to be quite gentle to be a singer don't you?"

"Not always. I mean, look at all the heavy metal bands out there. They're great, but not gentle," she replied.

"Right, right. So you sing, huh?" River asked.

"Yeah, how can I be a singer and not sing?"

"Tons of ways! There's always lip syncing and pitch correctors," River suggested.

"So you're assuming that I can't sing."

"Never! I was just wondering what you thought of your own voice."

She laughed,

"I was just joshin' ya. But yes, I can sing. What about you?"

"What about me?" River asked the same question, unaware of what she meant by it.

"What do you want to choose as a career path?"

"Oh. I dunno, I mean, my family and I, we always liked to entertain. And well, I do enjoy music and acting. It's cool to me the way that you can create or represent a character that others can relate to, and how you can communicate with others through that character. I mean, think about it. You could be an asshole in real life, but if you get onstage and play a vulnerable victim, people can instantly relate to you."

"That's interesting..." Robin said, though in her head she was frantic, thinking that River could easily be acting like he was interested in her, knowing that he enjoyed acting.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see how your singing career turns out."

"Thanks. Same to you of course, what with your entertainment career and all that. Um, sorry to rush you out but you've met my cats- I think you should go."

The moment River was scared for had finally come, and he nodded and waved goodbye to her before walking out of her room and quietly down the stairs. Meanwhile, Robin fell asleep, her brain flooded with dreadful ideas that she had let River get too close. 

i didn't realize how short this chapter was y'all! i'm going to try to update again today bc this chapter's way too short. sorry for keeping yall waiting, as i said, my schedule has changed significantly.