18: Trust... Again

PAPA  - Ain't It So

__________________________________

I couldn't hide my grimace as the familiar group of vampires glared at Christian. 

Three long minutes we'd been standing here awaiting... Well, someone to say anything. 

Not even Michael said anything, sitting on the couch like a sulking teenager whilst I stood beside Christian like a kind of protective shield. I had a feeling if I moved, it wouldn't stop some of the angrier looking vampires - Cal, Nate and Nicholas - from trying to... Contain him.

"Why is it so quiet down here?" My eyes darted to Amy descending the stairs with her hand firmly on her lower back. "Oh," She caught my gaze and then flickered them to Christian. "Oh! I forgot he was coming."

I pleaded with my stare for her to do something, anything. And thank God she read me right.

She approached him with an outstretched hand and smiled. "I'm Amy."

Christian slid his hand into Amy's with a smile of his own. "A pleasure."

"I apologise for them." I watched Amy's hand squeeze his with a warm smile and I almost died with relief. "They can be a stubborn bunch. John's my other half, Jonathan." He grimaced slightly at the use of his full name and stepped toward us. "Can you introduce everyone and stop being an idiot, please."

He cleared his throat and gestured Christian toward the kitchen where the witches were currently talking about our new arrival. I watched the three of them walk, Amy waddling, into the kitchen and listened to the brief introductions. I sat on the arm of the couch beside Michael and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I'm fine." I answered his unasked question. "I know you've been worrying and I already told you, you have nothing to worry about."

"Until that woman is gone I've got everything to worry about." 

They returned, with Kate in tow, and John introduced Christian to the rest of them leaving Celia and Ethan for last. Celia smiled, obviously intrigued to be meeting such an old vampire and shifted Jonas to her other arm to shake his hand. Ethan stuck to his wife closer than necessary, his hawk like eyes glaring a hole into the older vampire when Christian asked, "Is this your son?"

"Yeah," Celia answered. "Have you ever seen a dhamir before?"

"Never in my years. Not personally at least. I've heard many stories of a vampire being born to a human." Christian turned his inquiring eyes to Amy. "If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you about it. Both of you."

"I don't mind." Amy spoke first. 

"Neither do I." Celia nodded. 

The look on both men's faces as they watched the mothers' of their children stroll past everyone and up to the study almost made me laugh. Almost. I stepped in front of John already seeing the perusal in his eyes. "They'll be fine, John trust me." 

"I do trust you. It's him I don't trust."

"They'll be fine," I repeated. And Kate sent me a nod obviously confirming my thoughts. "Okay? Okay."

Micah exited the kitchen with Sam beside him; they looked satisfied with who they met and by the looks they sent the rest of them it looked like Christian fit the bill just fine. 

For now, we didn't have to worry about Christian Beaumont.

**

As I changed from my dress into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt an hour later, I could hear the loud giggles from little Jonas as Christian entertained him. To say Christian was smitten by the half-vampire half-human baby would be an absolute understatement. I'd watched Celia place her baby into his arms and smugly smiled at the grumbling men when Christian treated the baby as if he were expensive china.