(42) Not So Sweet Surprises

Alex POV

"No Mama I'm not calling her back." I say annoyed into my phone.

"Lex she really wants-" tries Carli again.

I don't care what she wants!" I yell. "She messed up! She-she-"

"Alexandra your mother lost her job!" snaps Mama through the line. My anger melts away instantly with the new information. I slowly process it as Mama explains. "Jill had a meeting with her this morning. Her contract has been terminated and she's been suspended for six months."  I take a seat on my sofa and take a deep breath. "Baby-"

"How can they terminate her contract AND suspend her? That doesn't even make sense! Are they going to hire her back? Is that what that means?" My leg starts to bounce up and down with nerves.

Mama sighs, "Honey I don't know. Please just answer her calls for me okay? She's sad."

I nod my head feeling guilty, "Yes ma'am. I'll pick up for now on."

"Thank you princess." replies Mama softly. "Have you talked to Christen lately? I don't know how to get ahold of her."

"No ma'am. I can't get her or Tobin to talk to me." I look down and play with my shorts. "I've emailed both of them and called their hotels but nothing." I hear her take a deep breath and shakily let it out. "Mama I'm sure they're fine."

"I know honey." she says sounding like she's trying to sound tough but in reality is crushed. "You're home with Serv right? You guys are okay?"

"We're fine." I stand up and start to look around my room for my suitcase. "Do you want me to come to you? Or M-Mo-m?" I groan annoyed because my bag still has all my dirty clothes in it. "I can get on a plane in an hour Mama. Serv's off this week so we can come together. Just tell me where to go." I snatch my duffle out from under  the bed. "SERV!" I scream pulling the phone away from my ear. "COME HERE PLEASE!"

"Lex you don't need to-"

"Babe what's wrong?" asks Serv catching himself on the door frame. "Is there another spider?" I roll my eyes at his comment and he smiles playfully at me before coming and wrapping his arms around my waist. "Who's on the phone?" he mouths looking confused.

"It's Mama." I say and then turn my attention back to the phone call. "Are you in Jersey or Houston or are you going to see Mom? Where is she right now anyways? Is she in Seattle or North Carolina?"

"How do you know about North Carolina?" asks Mama suddenly more alert. I lean into Servando as I answer.

"I saw it on some website. It just popped up." Serv kisses my neck making me shudder before lightly slapping him on the leg. "Mama, where do I need to book my flight to?"

She sighs, "Seattle. I'm about to leave." I look at Serv to see if he heard. He nods and pecks my temple before going to purchase the tickets.

"We'll meet you there. I love you."

"I love you too Lexi. Be careful please. I'll see you in a few hours."

-A Few Hours Later-

Carli's POV

"Yeah Jer, I just landed." I huff as I pull my carry on from the overhead.  I yank it from the compartment and it smacks me in the face. I stumble backwards and fall into the seat across from me.

"Carli? Car, what happened?" he asks frantic sounding. I frown and rub my back. Damn that hurt.

"I just fell." I mumble. I slowly get back onto my feet and pick up my carry on. "Don't leave Julie with Hope. I'll take a cab. It's not a big deal."