(5) Mama and Me

Carli's POV

I've been looking for Hope for forty-five minutes now. I've checked everywhere and asked around, but no one's seen her since she came up here after lunch. I sigh as I run my fingers through Julie's hair. She's passed out. She needed some sleep though. I know she hasn't been telling the truth about going to bed on time. Hope just thought I was being tough on her. Ha! Light floods the room from the hallway making me turn.

"Car?" I hear her  whisper while coming in and shutting the door. Plunging the room back into darkness except for the little bit of light coming through the curtains. I just stare at her blankly. I don't know if I should be glad I know where she is, or angry because she decided it would be okay to just waltz back in here after what she did.

"What?" I ask lowly.

"I'm sorry." she states simply scratching the back of her neck nervously.

"You better have a damn good reason Hope." I grumble slowly getting up so I don't wake Julie.

"I do." Her voice cracks and I hear her sniffle. "It's-it's-" At the sound of her breaking I quickly shove all my hard feeling away and hug her.

"Hey." I whisper softly."It's okay. Just talk to me Aitch." (A/N "Aitch" or "Haitch" is how you spell the name of the letter H! Cool right?)

"Grandma Alice." is the only thing she's able to get out before she starts to cry. Hope and her grandmother are extremely close. She's the sweetest woman I've ever gotten to meet. "She's sick."

"Why didn't you tell me that?" I ask hugging her tighter.

"I don't know." she mumbles pulling away to wipe her face. "I heard this morning and then I just tried to push it away so I could focus."

"Hopey," I sigh shaking my head, "talk to me next time. You know I think of her as family too." She nods and gives me a small hug.

"I know Carls. I'm sorry, I should have just told you." she says with a small smile. Just then Julie snores very loud making us both laugh. "Shit." curses Hope getting serious again. "I fucked up." she mumbles bringing her hands up and resting them on the back of her head. "Is she-"

"Mom 'fucked' is a bad word." scolds Jay waking up. "So is 'shit'."

Hope blushes before smiling hugely at her, "Yes they are bad words, very bad words, that you little missy," she pauses to tap JJ's nose,"are not allowed to use."

"Mommy!" whines Julie rolling over. "You said 'em first!"

"I know, I know!" she surrenders tickling her sides. "But that doesn't mean you can say them! Alright baby?"

"Mo-om!" she laughs trying to wiggle away. "Stop it!"

"Say 'Mom is the best!" and I'll think about it!" bargains Hope tickling her harder.

"Mama!" squeals Jules desperately trying to get away. "H-help meeeee!"

Hope turns and eyes me, "Don't think about it Lloyd!" She continues to make our little one laugh hysterically.

"Oh so we're using last names now Solo?" I chuckle raising my eyebrows. A knock on the door makes me check our clock. It's already time to go back out. "Alright, alright! You two settle down! We got to get to the bus!"

~After training~

"Julie! Wait up!" I call jogging to catch up with her. She doesn't hear me because she's in some sort of conversation with Morgan before the both of them take off in a sprint to the bus. I smile and slow my pace back to normal.

"Carli!" yells Hope running up behind me. "Have you figured out what you and JB are going to do tonight?"

"There's a park near the yogurt place. I was thinking we could take our stuff to go and go walk and talk for a bit. We won't be out late."

"I was thinking that maybe afterwards, if you get back in time, we could all watch a movie together? If you're back by nine we'll have plenty of time. You know she'll be out like a light before it's over anyways and-"

"Alright we can do that." I say mostly to cut off her rambling.