(23) Planning

JJ's POV

"Mama?" I ask for the billionth time. She came to tuck me in, but then she got a call from Coach Galanis so she's been out on the balcony talking to him for twenty minutes. I just need her to finish pulling my blankets up and to kiss my forehead like Mommy does when she says goodnight. "Mama how much longer?" She holds up her finger and pulls the door more shut. I sigh and hug my stuffed Simba Zach got me when we went to Disney. I wish Mom would give me my phone back so I can call him. Oh man I bet he's worried sick because I haven't talked to him at all the last couple days. Mom probably called him and told him, she probably called my parents too so they wouldn't worry when I don't respond.

"Yeah I understand...Uh huh...yeah we can work on that when I get back...I'm sorry but I've got to let you go...yeah it's her...well we have training tomorrow and she's been sick...yeah I'll tell her...talk to you later bye bye." Mama finally ends her conversation and smiles at me. "He says 'hello and I hope you get to feeling better'." I nod thankfully and snuggle into my pillow more so that she'll take the hint that I want to go to bed. "You're tired aren't you?" chuckles Mama softly sitting on the edge of the bed making it sink down a little. She pulls my blanket up and then bops my nose with her finger making me giggle.

"Mama you're silly!" I exclaim happily.

"Nah uh! You're the silly one you little goof ball!" she argues tickling me through the layers. I squirm away making her laugh. "Now I've got to tuck you in again munchkin." She shakes her head with a smile and rearranges the blankets back on top of me.

"Mama?" I sleeply call blinking my eyes open.

"Princess?" she asks back with a playful smirk.

"I love you."

"I love you too love bug." she says softly rubbing my cheek. She leans down and presses her lips to my forehead. "Good night Julie Beth. Sweet dreams baby girl."

"Sweet dreams Mama." She nods and reaches under the lampshade to turn it off. She leaves my room and quietly closes the door behind her. I drift off not long after.

-next morning at breakfast-

"Babe were you listening?" asks Mama searching for something in her backpack. I open my mouth to say yes but she looks up just before I can and gives me the look making me rethink my choice.

"No ma'am." I reply sheepishly.

She sighs, "You and Moe are going to stay here during morning practice, but you can come to afternoon training."

"Can I-"

"No you may not go see Mom. She was coughing her lungs up before I came down here and you don't need to be around that yet." says Mama firmly. "Don't ask me again." I frown, but nod obediently. She doesn't say anything for a moment and then she suddenly grabs my hand and starts to take me towards the exit.

"Mama where are we going?" I wonder following behind her all the way to the elevator. She doesn't speak, but instead leads us on and hits the button for our floor. Morgan says this is what Jrue does before he- uh oh. "Mama you're not going to spank me right? I'm sorry I asked about seeing Mommy! I just want to make sure she's okay! Please don't! I don't want a spanking!"

"What? JB calm down honey!" soothes Mama putting her hands on my shoulders and taking deep breaths to try to help me breathe. "Baby why would I spank you? You haven't done anything wrong. Even if you have your Mom would be livid and probably kill me if I ever did something like that." I instantly relax and hug her. "Love bug we're just going to see Mommy. I thought that's what you wanted."

"Okay." I blush holding her hand again. Mama holds me into her side and kisses my temple. She walks me to their door before stopping and having me look up at her.