(30) Training

Hope's POV

"You already have a fish?" I ask Julie leaning against the door frame. After Mallory told us about Bubbles I went and dragged her out of the dining room to this laundry room we are all now squished in.  I sat her on the washing machine and Carli and I are both standing in the doorway.

"Y-yeah." she answers sheepishly rubbing the back of her neck with her hand. "I really thought you guys were going to say yes." she admits slowly meeting my eyes. "She was already at the store and I didn't think it was a big deal and-"

"Okay okay." I say putting my hands up and hushing her. "Let Mama and I think for a minute please." I look to Carli and sigh. She just shakes her head and lets a big breath out through her nose.

"Why couldn't you have just waited until you got back to Chicago next week?" questions Carli breaking her silence. "It wouldn't have mattered if you did that." she continues. "Then the fish would already be happily at home and not here where he's going to have to travel back to Illinois."

"I didn't think about it." whispers Jay keeping her head down. I hear her hiccup meaning she's about to cry.

"Babe there's not reason for tears right now." I say softly. I give her a hug and look down at her. "Nobody's yelling, we're not getting on to you, we just want to know what you were thinking alright? Calm down." She sniffles and wipes her nose on her sleeve with a nod. Carli tugs on my shirt so I turn around. She motions for me to step right outside the door so we can talk. "How do we handle this?" She squeezes her eyes tightly closed not sure what to do. I can tell she's a little angry so I say, "She didn't mean any harm by it Car."

"I know." she sighs. "She wasn't trying to be bad. It's not like she deliberately disobeyed us. I mean I don't remember telling her that before she gets a fish she has to ask." She chuckles lightly making me too.

"She did ask this morning just to check and I think she really did think it was okay." I add.

"I still don't think having a fish here is a good idea." she says running her fingers through her hair a telltale sign she's in deep thought.  "Let's just take Mr. Bubbles back to the pet store and get the money back so she can get a new fish when she gets home."

"Sounds like a plan." I agree nodding. "I'll break the news." We both duck back into the room and I sigh as I look at the hopeful girl in front of me. "Okay so this is what's going to happen." I start. "You have to take him back, but you may get a new one as soon as you land next Wednesday. In fact you can get as many fish as you want once you get home." Tears threaten to spill over her eyelids and her bottom lip juts out. "Honey you aren't taking that poor fish on the plane."

"But Mallory is." she whimpers sadly.

"And you're not Mallory." points out Carli. "Your name is Julie Beth Johnston and you're not taking that fish on the plane. We are in charge of you not her. What she does is none of our business."

"Yes ma'am." sighs JJ knowing she's not going to change our minds. "I'll take him back after dinner tonight."

"Thank you for not arguing baby." I praise giving her a hug and lifting her off the washer. "I love you."

"Love you too." she mumbles letting me kiss her head before setting her down. "Mom are you coming to practice today?"

"Yes pretty girl." I nod making her smile light up. "I need to grab my bag from upstairs do you need to come to?"

"No mine's with Mama's in the dining room." she tells me.

"Give Mom a kiss." directs Carli taking her hand. "We'll meet her on the bus." Julie pecks my cheek before following Carli back to the rest of the team while I head for the elevators.