Chapter 39

Percy woke up the next morning to a light shaking on his shoulder. He opened his eyes into the blinding light. Turin was a shadow against the sun and Hiccup was standing slightly further back.
    "We're leaving," explained Turin as Percy sat up and rubbed his eyes. Percy gave a slight nod of acknowledgement.
    He felt miserable. The stab in his back was aching. He felt something weighing down his heart like a stone. The light hurt Percy's eyes.
    Wordlessly Percy packed his bags. He had his drawstring bag with the ambrosia and nectar. He also had the flight suit in it. The pack looked very bulky.
    As Percy tucked away his bedroll Turin watching sitting on a nearby rock. He was silent, scared to upset Percy further. He could tell he didn't want to talk and he would respect his friends wishes.
    None of the villagers seemed very happy as they returned to the ship. Hiccup went with Loki and his guards to discuss the temples and altars they would build to prevent further skirmishes.
    The boats docked. The villagers were silent when boarding other than the occasional screaming child or an order from the captain of the ship. Everybody knew that Snap had been important.
    Percy sat down staring blankly in front of himself. He sat in the back of one of the more empty ships. Last nights event hung in his mind like clouds on a stormy day.
    Percy buried Snap on the island. Hiccup had named it Snap Isle in honor of the brace dragon who fought to protect his Rider and friends to death.
    Personally, Percy did not like it. But he had not been in the mood for speaking. The notion seemed to slightly cheer Hiccup up, so Percy went with it.
    The ride home on ship seemed to take ages. It was only three days but it felt like three years. Percy did not pay much attention to time. Time no longer mattered. Percy leaned his head on Turins shoulder. Turin did not shake him off but simply sighed.
    Percy returned the sigh. "I know what it's like now, losing your best friend."
    Turin nodded. "Aye."
    "There's nothing left to live for." Percy's voice was solemn and distant.
    Turin jerked away from Percy and looked him in the eye. "Don't say that! There's always more to live for!"
    "Like what?" Percy challenged but only half heartedly.
    "You have Annabeth and all your friends. You have your mother and father and step father. They would all miss you."
    "Nothing will ever be the same with my friends..not after a few days ago."
    Turin sighed. "That wasn't real, Percy. That was just Loki's tricks. And even if they didn't need you I need you.."
     Percy stayed silent as he watched night fall. Turin understood Percy didn't want to talk anymore so he unpacked his bedroll. He set it down in the open floor and lay down.
    Percy did likewise. He lay down. It's quite cold. I wonder if Snap cou- he cut off his own thoughts. He had almost forgotten Snap wasn't there anymore.
    He didn't sleep for many hours after sunset. Percy didn't want to sleep. If he slept his demigod dreams would only kick in, making him feel even worse.
Thinking about what he might dream of made Percy feel terrible but he couldn't help it. The demigod needed something to think about. He thought of how he might dream of the soldiers killing Snap right then and there in the cave, cutting iff his wings and limbs. Percy shuddered.
What if each of the clay soldiers was somebody Percy was close to? He saw Nico and Jason hacking at Snap. The dragon let out howls and wails of pain.
The scenarios kept coming. It took Percy much time to learn he had been sleeping. He woke up and rubbing his eyes.
Percy leaned back and tried to dislodge the lump in his throat. Nobody needed to know how he felt.