Chapter 38

Percy changed his course. He walked over to the infirmary to spend some time with Snap. He knew the dragon didn't have much longer.
    When Percy arrived he checked over Snap real quickly. He noticed the wounds weren't closing right, if closing at all. They were swollen and the flesh around it was pink. Apparently some of the other soldiers had joined in. There were normal slashes in some parts, now forming scars.
    The sea colored dragons body was expending all of its energy on healing itself. That energy took it from wherever it was. That included his lungs and heart. Snaps heart rate was excruciatingly slow. His breathing was ragged and uneven, like a person walking with a limp.
    Percy sighed. He decided to spend the rest of the dragons hours with him, however long it may be. Percy settled with Snaps head in his lap. His head was about as big as Percy's torso.
    Percy patted Snaps snout, hoping it would distract him from the pain. If Snap dying in the price I have to pay to see the REAL Annabeth again.. thought Percy. Then I guess it's a sacrifice I'll have to make.
    He shook his head. It's not a sacrifice if it's not me..the poor dragon..how much pain he must be in. Percy bit his lip making it ever so slightly bleed.
    "I'm a terrible person," he whispered softly to himself. Night had fallen and the infirmary was quiet. The few people who still remained were asleep. Only two or three medics ran around making sure people were safe.
    Percy thought about all the the events he had been through since he got here on Berk, about a month and a half ago. The moment Snap hatched played vividly in his mind.
    He had been surprised, sure, but now that he thought back on it it may have been one of the happiest days of his life.
    Percy recalled that time with Turin and his old dragon. Percy preferred to call him Shrimp though. It didn't fit but  it was the name he had grown up with. Percy couldn't imagine if he had a different name.
    Percy felt the weight in his lap increase.  He looked down. Snaps eyes were open and glassy. He shook him.
   "C'mon bud get up." He said. "Get up." He shoved Snaps head lightly.
    "Lets go fishing." Percy knew what happened but he refused to let the thought process. "We have to go."
    Percy's lip trembled as he let the thought sink in, he couldn't ignore it any longer. "Get up!" He basically yelled. "We have to go see Annabeth! You haven't met my friends."
    His voice was commanding yet miserable. He felt a hand on his shoulder. He knew it was Turin but didn't care. He didn't even care he was waking the sick and injured.
    "Get up!" Percy was now standing and tugging on Snaps oversized paw. "You have to meet my family! We have to go home!"
This is his home. Percy's thoughts argued with himself. No it's not!
    Percy knelt down and shook the dragon from his side. He had been yelled and screaming for so long Snaps body was already cold.
    "No!" he screamed. "No! Get up!" He pounded Snaps side once with his fist then realized what he had done.
    He crossed his arms over Snaps side and rested his head in them. His body shook with violent sobs. He couldn't lose Snap. Not now.
    "I'm sorry." He choked out.