Chapter 19

Any scenes, characters and dialogue from the Harry Potter universe belong exclusively to JK Rowling.

----------

Chapter 19

Ivy and Remus had told Dumbledore they'd be willing to adopt Rhiannon. Dumbledore was thrilled but he had suggested that Ivy tell Rhiannon. That was exactly what Ivy was about to do.

*  *  *

"Rhiannon? It's Ivy." Ivy called through Rhiannon's dorm room door.
Ivy pushed the door open slowly to find Rhiannon reading.
"Hi, Ivy," Rhiannon called.
"Did you like our house then?" Ivy asked.
Rhiannon nodded. "It was lovely."
"Remus like you too you know. And Daniel definitely liked you." Ivy said.

Rhiannon smiled. "It feels nice to be liked. I never really got on with my parents or any children in my old school."
"Well, I hope you'll get on better with your new parents," Ivy said.
"Did Dumbledore find a family?" Rhiannon asked eagerly.
"Well, sort of," Ivy replied.
"Who?"
"We're adopting you, Rhiannon. You're going to live with Remus, Daniel and me." Ivy said.
Rhiannon hugged Ivy tightly. "Thank you."

Ivy hugged her back. "You're very welcome. You can move your things in today. You'll be staying in our house on the weekends. I thought it would be better for you to stay in the school during the week. Then you can make proper friends. You'll still see us, though. I'll be teaching Defence against the Dark Arts and Remus will be looking after Daniel."
"Thank you so much," Rhiannon said.

*  *  *

That afternoon, with Remus' help, Rhiannon moved all her possessions to Ivy and Remus' house.
"Thank you for adopting me," Rhiannon said that evening at dinner.
"You're very welcome," Ivy said.
"What should I call you?" Rhiannon asked.
"That's up to you," Remus said. "What did you call your parents?"
"I didn't talk to them much but if I did I either had to call them mother and father or Ma'am and Sir," Rhiannon said.

"I think that's far too formal. You call us whatever you feel comfortable with." Remus said, smiling warmly.
"Okay," Rhiannon said.

*  *  *

That night after dinner, Ivy decided they should spend some time together as a family. Rhiannon sat on the floor playing with Daniel and Ivy and Remus watched them from their seats on the couch. Daniel started yawning soon after.

"Can I put him to sleep?" Rhiannon asked.
Ivy nodded and Rhiannon took Daniel upstairs.
"I'm glad we decided to help her," Ivy said.
Remus nodded and put his arm around her shoulders. "Me too."

Ivy laid her head on his shoulder and they sat there for a while in silence. Then Rhiannon came down the stairs.
"Daniel's asleep." She said.
"Thank you," Ivy said, smiling.
Rhiannon nodded and sat beside Ivy on the couch.
"You're welcome . . . mum." Rhiannon whispered.

Ivy smiled and pulled Rhiannon onto her lap. She hugged the little girl close and Remus hugged them both tightly. It was the beginning of a new life for them all. Ivy pitied the little girl above anything. She knew how Rhiannon was feeling. Despite not being a first year, Ivy had been in her position only the previous September. A new school was a daunting experience and having no one to turn to, it could be difficult. Ivy only hoped they could be the family Rhiannon so clearly needed and had been lacking.