Chapter 10

Any scenes, characters and dialogue from the Harry Potter universe belong exclusively to JK Rowling.

----------

Chapter 10

Ivy was just finished reading her mother's letter when she heard a knock at the door.
"Who is it?" Ivy called.
"Remus," Remus called.

He pushed open the door slowly and came to sit beside her on her bed.
"What did they say?" He asked.
"They weren't angry. The seemed excited almost. I think she trusts me. She knows that this wasn't a planned thing but more than that, my mother knows that despite its spontaneity, its a serious matter to me." Ivy said.
Remus nodded and hugged her close to his side.

"So, you're going to be seventeen soon. The trace will wear off then." Remus said.
Ivy nodded. "You'll be seventeen a few months later."
Remus nodded. "And I'm guessing the baby will be born in late September."

Ivy nodded. "Yes."

"You'll be a wonderful mother," Remus told her.
Ivy gasped. "Oh my god!"

"What?" Remus asked.

"We're going to be parents," Ivy exclaimed.

Remus suddenly realised what she meant. It hadn't actually dawned on him yet that he was going to be a father. He would have a son or daughter that he would have to teach. He and Ivy would teach them right from wrong and how to read and how to write and how to tie their shoes. They would both be only seventeen when the baby was born. They would be such young parents and they would have so much to learn.

"Are you excited?" Ivy asked Remus.

Remus shrugged. "I am but I'm worried. What if I'm a horrible father? I've never been around little children. I've never even held a baby."
Ivy giggled. "Being a parent isn't about how good you are with children. It's that you're willing to love the child no matter what kind of person they are."

Remus nodded. "I can do that." He smiled for a moment before pure horror overcame his face.
"What if the baby's like me?" He asked, distraught.
"So what if he is?" Ivy asked.

"How can you say that? I don't want your son or daughter to be a monster!" Remus said. "I don't even know if I can pass on these genes. What if this baby gets hurt?"
"I don't care if it's like you. I'll love it regardless of what it is or what it looks like. We'll be okay." Ivy said.

"Ivy we can't do this. We can't force such pain on a baby." Remus said.

"I'm not getting rid of it!" Ivy shouted. "We will make it through."
"Fine!" Remus shouted and he stormed out of the room.

*  *  *

Lily walked up to her dorm. It had been a long evening and she desperately needed sleep. Upon entering the room, she saw Ivy's figure in a heap, her body shaking with sobs.
"Ivy, what happened?" Lily asked, rushing to her sister's side.

"He doesn't want it anymore!" Ivy said, sobbing.
"Why?" Lily asked.
"He's worried the baby's going to be like him. He said he doesn't want to give me a child that's a monster." Ivy said.
"I'll talk to him. But you need to try and look at it from his point of view. Consider why he says what he does. He knows what that suffering is like. Even having someone else can't lessen your own burden. It is pain and he doesn't want to inflict that on any child that in turn will inflict pain on you."

*  *  *

"Who is knocking on the door at this time of night?" Sirius demanded.
"James Potter! Open this door right now!" Lily shouted.
"I'd let your girlfriend in before she hexes you," Sirius suggested.
James rolled his eyes and opened the door.
"What's wrong Lils?" James asked.

"Where is Remus?" She demanded.

James walked over to Remus' bed and shook Remus' shoulder.

"Moony. Lily's here and if you value your life, I'd get up." James cautioned.
Remus groaned and sat up.

"What did you do this time?" Lily asked.

"I'd rather not talk about it," Remus said.
"I don't care! You're going to tell me!" Lily said and she grabbed Remus' arm and dragged him into the common room.

"What did you do?" Lily asked.
"I told her to get rid of the baby. I don't want her to have it. Not if there's a chance the baby's going to be like me." Remus said.
"She doesn't care. You know she'll love the baby regardless. I know you will too. That's all she wants to hear." Lily said.
Remus nodded.
"You might be the baby's father but she wants to know that if anything happened to her, you'd think about the baby first and you'd look after it instead of her. Not just as her husband and the baby's father but as her friend." Lily said.

Remus nodded.

Little did Lily know, those words would come back to haunt her one day.

"Now I suggest you apologise to my hysterical sister."
Remus nodded and trailed up the stairs after Lily.

Lily knocked on the door.
"Ivy? Remus has come to tell you something." Lily said.
All she got was a sniff in reply so she opened the door and let Remus in. He walked over to Ivy slowly and sat beside her, putting an arm around her shoulders.

"Ivy I'm so sorry." Remus sighed.

Ivy nestled into his shoulder and cried.

"You understand why don't you? Why I don't want you to have the baby." Remus asked.
Ivy nodded. "But you have to understand why I can't. I want the baby and I'm going to have it. With or without your help."
Remus nodded. "But what if-"
"I don't care if it's like you. I'll love it no matter what. I want you too as well." Ivy said.
Remus nodded. "You know no matter what happens I love you."
Ivy nodded. "So? Are you going to help me or not?"
Remus sighed. He didn't want to give Ivy a child that was like him but it seemed he had no choice. 
"We can do this." He said.