Chapter 28 | Broken

Chapter 28 | Broken

I have never been this scared in my life.

He was sleeping peacefully when suddenly, he started moving wildly in his sleep, thrusting his hands upwards, pushing me away as I rolled off the bed. He yelled, "It was all because of you! You deserve it!"

He repeated this words again and again as he thrashed wildly in the bed, kicking in the air and I stood at the edge of the bed watching him repeating those words as he angrily shouted.

He was having a nightmare.

"Puddin'..." I inched closer towards, holding his arms down. His strength was immensely high as he pushed me away. "Puddin'!" I yelled, going for him again.

His eyebrows were furrowed and his whole body was quivering in anger as he punched the air. A punch landing on my cheek, despite all the punches and kick I received, I held him down, straddling him and finally his eyes flew open, his chest heaving up and down slowly as his senses came back to him.

He stopped moving his hands and his eyes shifted slowly to look at me.

"Its me Puddin'... Its okay. You had a nightmare." I said, going closer towards his face cautiously.

He cursed under his breath and sighed, brushing his fingers through his electric green hair before sitting up straight and put me down on the bed from his lap before standing up and pulled on his pants, leaving the room.

"Where are ya going?" I called and he ignored me as he quickly made his way out of the door. I immediately grabbed his shirt, wearing it quickly and I made my way quickly behind him, trying to keep up with his pace.

I dare not call him. He pushed open the door to his office and went inside, slamming the door behind him. I stood infront of the closed door, contemplating whether or not to enter.

He is ignoring me. Maybe I shouldn't disturb him. Maybe I should. I'm sure he won't hurt me. He is just freaked out. He just needs time to calm down. I have never seen him so stressed out in my life. He didn't even let me see his face. He went away as soon as he woke up.

Hurt swirled inside my heart, making my heart ache badly for him. No. I can take care of him. He took care of me all this while. Now, its my turn.

With that determination, I pushed the door open and went in slowly. He was facing the french window, sitting on a small stool, as he looked out at the raging blue sea of the stormy night. I stood on my spot, closing the door behind me as I took in his appearance. I could only see his back but his hair was disheveled by brushing his fingers through it so many times.

His hands were clenched tightly into a fist, lying firmly and stiffly on his lap.

I made my way across the dark room slowly. I walked around infront to see his face and kneeled down before him slowly, careful not to freak him out. His eyes shot up in surprise, and my heart broke into pieces when I saw unshed tears filled in them.

"Puddin'..." I dragged, placing my hand softly onto his cheek. "I'm here for you." I said leaning towards him as I cupped his cheek.

He stared at me, his eyes filled with fear and sorrow. It made my heart shatter and my own eyes filled with tears at seeing him in this state. I understood why I never woke up to see him in bed every morning.

He can't sleep.

He has nightmares everyday.

And finally I had caught him having one.

I leaned forward, pressing my lips towards his forehead and hugged him towards my chest. He hugged me back slowly and after a few seconds a strangled silent sob left his mouth making a tear fall from my eye too.

I hated seeing him this way. Someone who always smiled and brought fun and chaos to the world. He hugged me tightly, and I stroked his hair, my chin resting on his forehead as I did so.

I didn't say anything as he let it all out. I remained silent.

"Memories..." He muttered under his breath so softly I wouldn't have caught it but I did.

"Of him." He said, letting go of me and I reluctantly let him out of my grasp. I was afraid he would break again. But if he did, I would always be there to catch him.

"Of who?" I asked cautiously.

His icy blue eyes shot up. Rage filling them as his ceruleans orbs darkened with blood lust. His fingers clenched and unclenched as he looked at me, gritting his teeth. I knew perfectly well that this fury was not directed towards me so I waited patiently for his reply.

"The man who brought me to this world." He said, gritting his teeth tightly, the vein on his neck popping as he did so I was afraid it would burst.

"Your fath-"

"Don't."

I closed my mouth immediately and waited, pursing my lips, my eyes filled with concern.

"I hate him." He said and turned away, looking distantly behind me. "He was never a good husband nor a good father." Tears filled his eyes again and I immediately perked up reaching for his face but he held my hands, pulling them down but didn't let go of my hands. He held them between his fingers tightly, as if his life depended on the touch of my hands.

"He abused me and..." He paused, a strangled growl left his mouth. "my mother."

I gasped, holding his hand firmly, as I laid my head on his shoulder, to comfort him.

His childhood wasn't sunshine and rainbows. But then again, none of our childhood is. It will beat us down. The main point is that we must not let it.

The indication of him using 'my mother' was enough for me to know that he loved his mother. "Its okay Puddin'.. you don't have to sa-"

"No." He said. "I want to." He stroked his thumb on my hand and looked at me for a moment, before leaning forward to kiss my forehead and I closed my eyes briefly. "You need to know."

I nodded, gesturing for him to continue as I wiped a tear away from his cheek.

●●●

Hiya!

Joker has a nightmare! Poor Puddin'.

Comment, vote and share.