Forgive, Never Forget - Chapter 25

"Um, come in I guess." I reluctantly opened the door wider, allowing Jamia access to come in. Even though I felt bad for her, I was still a little skeptical about helping her. I never trusted this girl.

I watched Jamia rush into my mother's open arms and I looked up at Carter who was already looking down at me. He knew what I was thinking and I knew he was thinking the same thing. We were two skeptical ass motha'fuckers. 

"Should we?" I asked him. Though she needed my help, I still felt like he should be in this decision too. After all, he's my husband and if I make a big decision, I would want for him to either support me or disagree with it.

"I honestly don't know. Maybe we should talk to her and see what's really goin' on with her." he suggested. I nodded and we simultaneously walked into the living room where everyone was sitting. I stared at Jamia intently as she talked to my moter in a hushtone. I've seen people on drugs, more than most can count, and I knew how to tell if they were truly sick or if they weren't. Jamia looked truly sick.

She had a sickening tremble, she looked paranoid and hungry, and she stunk -like the sewer and alley way. You could tell she was an addict.

"Lanay, Carter -can we all talk in private? Please." Jamia pleaded. Carter and I nodded and proceeded to walk to the kitchen with Jamia scurrying behind us. Carter and I sat beside each other and stared at Jamia from across the island, waiting for her to speak.

"Um.. I'm sorry for everything I put y'all through. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart." she started, making me roll my eyes. "I was just jealous. I mean, let's face it Lanay -you're gorgeous, intelligent, spoiled, loved by many, you're a hard worker, and you always get what you want without even trying. I was just a bitter, evil girl. But karma came back and bit me on the ass, hard. Everything went down hill after the incident a couple months ago. I had to move back to Detroit after I lost my job, my car, my apartment, even my own family. I had nothing but drugs and alchohol. I began using Meth, smoking Wet with my weed, and drinking alchohol every single day. I was so miserable and I still am. That's why I wanna get help. I thought maybe y'all could forgive me and we could move forward?"

"Mmm," Carter hummed. I knew Carter had a tough shell and he couldn't trust anyone who betrayed him before. Shit, I was the same way.

"Give us a moment Jamia." I shooed her off. She nodded and speed walked into the kitchen like she was scared for her life. Carter laughed and I hit him playfully in his arm.

"Shut up, you have no empathy." I laughed too. His laughter stopped and he looked at me like I was crazy.

"Of course I don't have empathy fah' 'dat bitch." he bluntly said. I understood his anger and where he was coming from, I couldn't blame him. Shit, at least he ain't pistol whip her like I did.

"I understand babe, I do. But.." I trailed off, trying to find the right words to say. I wanted to help her.

"You wanna help her, dont you?" he scoffed. 

"Yes Carter. I do. You're helping her too-"

"Uh, no the fuck I'm not." he cut me off. I sighed and shook my head.

"Babe, come on. She needs help." 

"Since when did you start actin' like a good Christian? If we help her, she gon' betray us again. How we gon' help her? What, send her to a rehab so she can possibly check herself out, take our money, and show her true colors again? Fuck that. I'm not supportin' ya' decision at all. I don't want you to get betrayed again but I'm not stoppin' you from doin' what chu' wanna do. I may be ya' husband, but you a grown ass woman and you was grown before you met me. So, do you Lanay." Carter stated before getting up and walking out of the kitchen. I knew he was angry but I felt the strong need to help her.