Chapter 19

"I want to go home." Maci crossed her arms, a frown evident on her face.

"Well you're to sick to go home right now. Only a couple of days baby and we'll be back home." I said, rubbing her small back lightly.

"I don't want to wait." Maci pouted and started to cry.

"Maci. Don't you start crying now. Ya hear me?" I said pulling the little girl on my lap, and she rested her head on my chest.

She eventually stopped crying, and fell asleep. I laid her back on the hospital bed without waking her up, and walked out of the room scanning around for her doctor.

"Oh Dr. Oswald. Can you ring me when she wakes up. I need to freshen up some and get her a toy or two."

"That's fine with me." He smiled nodding.

I shot him a smile and left the hospital. I hurried to my car and to get home. I just didn't want her to wake up and her daddy not being there. I think I've only left Maci without me, once. She wasn't happy, and she didn't like it. At all.

I showered and changed into fresh clothes, then packed some clothes for the go. Also an extra outfit just in case Maci got better and was able to come home soon. As I was walking out the door I got a call, from her doctor.

"Hello."

"Is this Mr.Payne?" A female voice asked.

"Yes, is she awake? Is something wrong?"

"Maci, she went into some sort of seizure or shock and started to spaz out on the bed while I was checking on her. I'm sorry to say, her heart stopped beating, lucking we got her back, but we had to put her in the icu (Intensive Care Unit). I advise you get here soon enough. We don't know if she will be able to hold on."

With those words registered in my head, and my phone slipped through my fingers and cracked on the ground. I couldn't breath, it felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach. I leaned against the wall in tears. This is the first time that I have truly cried so hard. I need to get to the hospital but I don't trust myself to drive.

I picked up my cracked phone going to the first number that was on which was Paul. He answered the phone and I could barely make out a word. "Come get me." I said choking on my own tears.

Not much later Paul came to pick me up and I explained everything to him while we were in the car. I couldn't loose my baby. I just really couldn't. She was going to make it through. She had to make it through.

Maci has no choice. It felt like hours of me telling Paul to hurry up before we got to the hospital and I didn't even wait for the car to come to a complete stop before I jumped out and ran into the hospital.

"Maci Payne. They said she was in ICU." I rushed tapping my hand on the counter.

"Floor 6 sir." The woman said, "They will tell you the room number up there."

I nodded and did something I didn't expect that I would do. I took the stairs. After 6 long flights of stairs my adrenaline was still going so I was barely out breath by the time I got up there. I don't even know where Paul is. I just want my baby to wake up.

*Hours Later*

I sat in the hospital room, the only sound was a heart monitor and a oxegyn tube pumping. It was keeping her breathing. I haven't been to sleep and Paul in snoring in the corner. I don't think I could sleep if somebody threw a brick at my head.

I haven't heard Maci's voice nor had she even moved. Is she dead? The thought of my daughter being dead was enough to fully break me down. Tears escaped my eyes and I let my head fall into my hands. It's all my fault. I should have never left.