Chapter 22

I looked down at the work on Maci's little table. She had successfully traced each of the letters on the paper as neatly as a 5 year old could and the book was lying by her head from I guess where she tried to read it but couldn't.

Now I felt awful. Completely horrible that I sent her up here and left her. She didn't even eat, get a bath. Nothing. I felt like a terrible father. I was just so angry that the boys were being so careless and I took some of it out on my own daughter, for no reason.

I went ahead and signed that we had read the story and I grabbed the book and sat on the end of the bed. I read through the short story until it was finished. Blinking back the tears in my eyes I shut the small book and set it down by her homework, kissing her forehead softly, and I guess she wasn't that far asleep.

"Daddy?" She mumbled, her eyes still closed.

"Go back to sleep baby." I whispered shutting off the light but her small hand gripped the back of my white t shirt.

"Lay with me daddy." She whimpered and my face softened.

I crawled over her in the bed and laid down, she turned around and laid herself down on my chest. I played with her hair until I knew she was fully asleep and I didn't attempt to move because I knew that she could be a light sleeper sometimes. Especially when she's upset.

Smelling the sweet smell of the strawberry and coconut scent in Maci's hair took it's tole and I found myself falling asleep. I decided to just sleep with her so she knew that I still love her and I'm sorry. Minutes later I drifted to sleep.

I was woken up to the sound of a loud honk outside. I sat up quickly to look at the time on Maci's alarm clock. 7:45. Shit! There school starts at 8:30. I turned to see Maci fast asleep. Great. She is trouble to wake up.

"Maci! Wake up!" I yelled shaking the little girl and she groaned rolling away from me. "You've got to go to school!"

She sat up with sleepy eyes, staring at me as I grabbed her uniform and tossed it to her. She pulled on the clothes making whining sounds the entire time and I brushed her hair into a ponytail. Once it looked neat I handed her, her socks and shoes and she put them on.

Hopping around I pulled on clothes and instead of worrying about my hair I just threw a beanie on. I went downstairs and grabbed two strawberry granola bars for us and pulled on a pair of converse myself.

Maci came running down the stairs with a brush and handed it to me. I smiled at her and brushed my hair out, looks like today is shaggy hair. We ran out and pulled my beanie back on before we got into the car.

"Maci I will bring your lunch in a little while." I said and she nodded.

I pulled out and soon we were at her school. "I love you Maci." I said as she got up and kissed my cheek.

"Love you too dad." She said before leaving the car.

I sighed, resting my head down on the steering wheel. Who knew school a kid would be so hard. I drove back home and walked in our house. It still had that new house smell because we haven't been here super long yet.

I grabbed her lunch box and poured some apple juice in her cup and screwed the lid on, then made her a turkey sandwich with mustard and lettuce like she likes it and cut it in half, putting it in a sandwich holder. Then I put a little pack of mini pickles in there. I put a pack of gushers on it and closed the lunch box.

Now I need to get all the way back. I got back into the car and buckled up, before pulling out of the driveway. After the not so long drive to the school I parked and hopped out of the car, jogging into the school. I slipped into Maci's classroom and they were all turned away from me listening to what the teacher was reading.

I found Maci's desk and quietly sat it down and her teacher smiled at me a little but not enough for her students to look up away from her and I slipped back out of the classroom. I slowed my pace with my keys in hand. I need to get to work.

"Shit." I cursed under my breath getting back into my car.

I was waiting to get the call where I get chewed out for being late but my phone never rang. I drove down to the studio and nobody was there. Well that I knew. But what there was bomb units and swat teams there.

"What the hell." I muttered getting out of the car and starting to walk towards the studio

"Liam!" I heard Louis' familiar voice yell and I turned to a tear stained cheeked Louis.

"What! Louis what's going on! Where's the boys!" I shouted frantically placing my hands on his shoulder.

"They're in there!" Louis cried pulling me into a hug.

"What. What's going on!?" I said pulling away some.

"I-I was out getting something for us to eat and I came back to this! Somebody is after us Liam!" Louis sobbed hysterically and I suddenly felt very light headed.

Moments later everything went dark.

*MACI POV*

"Where is my daddy?" I asked my teacher for the 50th time.

"I don't know sweetheart." She replied.

I sighed once more, resting my head on the cold desk. My teacher had been trying to call my dad but he won't answer. It's scaring me. I wonder if something is wrong with him.

I started to tap on my desk with a pencil. My homework is done, even my teacher helped me get it done. I felt like crying but I wanted to keep strong like my dad would.

Pulling on my jacket I pulled my knees up, and rested my chin on them before looking around at the empty room. The sound of my teacher trying to get a hold of my dad was the only noise in the room.

A small whimper escaped my lips but I made sure she couldn't hear it and I dug my face into my knees. Why won't he answer.

Does he still love me?