Let's Talk About Kids

I was standing in front of the house that was so familiar to me, having just rang the doorbell. Jack was standing to my right. In case you were wondering, today was the day I got to babysit Emily again. But for some reason, Jack insisted on coming with me. My brother was going along with John and his wife, and Jack was afraid something would happen to me. I hadn't had a seizure for 2 days, so I didn't know why he worried so much. The new medication seemed to be working.

The door opened and John let us in. I forgot to mention to him that Jack was coming as well, but then again I didn't know about it either until I was just getting ready to leave. John was looking at us with a questioning look but didn't say anything. I was going to have to explain this, but even I didn't understand why Jack wouldn't let me go alone.

I sighed, "Jack's too afraid to let me go anywhere alone, don't mind him. I also don't know why he followed me here."

"Excuse me," Jack argued, "you might have a seizure. I don't think a three-year-old will know what to do."

I rolled my eyes, "I haven't had a seizure in 2 days, I'll be fine."

"Exactly, two days, that's been long already, you never know what will happen!"

"I'm not arguing with you about this," I turned back to John, "so where's Trisha and Emily?"

"Umm, Trisha is almost ready to go, and Emily is-" he was cut off by the small black-haired girl running up to us from the living room. She yelled out my name and I picked her up.

I grinned down at her excited face, 'Hey, you've grown so big already! How old are you now?"

She clumsily showed three fingers, "three!"

"Wow! Already! You're so grown up already!"

She giggled as I put her down, and held my hand before starting to drag me along, "I got new pens for my birthday."

Just before we went around the corner, I saw Trisha walking down the stairs, so I called out, "hey Trisha! I'll see you later!"

"I see Emily's already taken you, have fun!" Trisha shouted back.

Emily and I entered the large living room. It was pretty obvious that John and his wife were a lot better off than me and Cameron, but that was probably because John had actually gone to university and managed to get a job and Trisha also had a good part time job. They were 4 years older than us, so John had just finished school when the band started. Cameron, on the other hand, was always in bands and didn't even plan on going to college. Lucky for him, the band was doing pretty well, until they broke up. But now there was a big chance they were getting back together, with a different drummer and guitarist, that is.

Emily lead me to the low table with all her drawing equipment. She immediately started explaining everything to me, from colors to how to use felt-tip pens. Of course, I already knew everything, but I acted interested and ask her some really obvious questions. She looks so happy to know more than I did.