The Surprise of Absence

I didn't know what to do. Abagail was crying and I was just standing there. What was she doing here? I was just too starstruck to move, talk, and think. Too much stuff was going on. There was too much drama.

Luckily, Jack took over, "Why don't you come inside?"

I nodded and followed them into the living room. Never had I ever felt this awkward. We all took a seat and stared as the only sound was Abagail's crying. I was sitting alone while Jack was next to Abagail; I shouldn't have felt jealous, but I did. The last time I saw her she was fucking Jack. There was no way I would feel neutral if they were that close together, especially since Jack and I were together.

Jack spoke up first again and pulled Abagail into a hug, "Abby, what's wrong?"

She mumbled something in between her cries; something I couldn't hear, but Jack definitely could. He stiffened up and looked at me with guilty eyes. Something was wrong, terribly wrong. Jack's face lost its color. It was as if he had seen a ghost. What was going on? He looked like he wanted to cry. What was I missing here!

"A-are you sure?" Jack whimpered.

"I don't know," Abagail sobbed and shook her head frantically, "I haven't had my period in three months."

My heart dropped. She was pregnant; pregnant with Jack's child. I felt like I could join in with the crying. This couldn't have been true. I closed my eyes, trying to stop the tears from falling, and rested my head in my hands. My breathing would have given away my desperate attempt, luckily they weren't close enough. I just wished I wasn't here; I wanted to be gone and disappear.

"Isle..." Jack muttered.

I shook my head, I didn't want to hear it, "It's fine. We weren't even together back then, I have no right to be mad or upset... I- I need to take my medication..."

I got up unemotionally and ignored the pleading looks Jack was giving me. Abagail had started crying even louder. I didn't know what I was going to do. Did I have to break up with Jack? Were they going to keep the baby? Were they going to get married? I didn't know anymore. I never wanted to be in this situation. Not only were they being affected, but so was I. People often seem to forget about the other person.

Somewhere in Jack's bedroom was my bag. I got out the new bottle of pills and read the instructions. What if I were to take the entire bottle in one go? What would happen then? I would no longer be a burden to my brother and Jack; my health problems wouldn't get in the way of their plans. Would anybody care or even notice? Jack would be able to go off with Abagail without having me around. Everything would be a lot easier...

No. I wasn't going to do it. These pills were here to keep me alive and healthy, not dead. I took the required dosage and put the bottle back. But something caught my attention. There was a box that really came in handy right now. I grabbed it and ran back down stairs. Abagail and Jack were talking, and even though I knew I shouldn't have done it, I eavesdropped.