Chapter 1 - The Dream

Just as I approached three marbled steps that lead to the ballroom, I Rachel Morgan felt for the black feathers that whisked at the top of my red-coloured masquerade mask and re-adjusted the eyeholes. Bordered by jewels and sequins, the mask was heavy and had found its way to the tip of my nose.

With my eyes no longer staring at the back part of my mask, I reached over to pick up the slightly long train, of my dress, that followed behind me as I made my way towards two very large, wooden doors. With each stair, my Louis Vuitton Daffodil pumps clicked and the sound of “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol grew louder.

I was missing the slow dance. Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach and I could feel sweat slowly rising from within my pores. My heartbeat palpitated to the rhythm of my footsteps. I just stood in front of the doors for a moment, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. A drip of sweat glided down my nape and settled at the end of one of my brown curls. “Are you ready?” The doorman asked.

I finally opened my eyes. “As ready as I’ll ever be,” I replied.

The cherry-stained doors opened to a dim-lit ballroom. I could only see the few couples that were closest to the entrance until a bright spotlight shined directly onto me, catching the sequins and silver refluxes in my dress. Everyone shot up from their partners’ shoulders and fixed their piercing eyes at me, who stood there like a deer in headlights. I shaded my eyes with my hands – careful not to move my mask – and glanced up in search of the lighting director. Sure enough, I caught a glimpse of my best friend, Louis Tomlinson, bolting from the actual lighting director – his suspenders gave him away. Louis was constantly trying to embarrass me and he didn’t care much for where he did it. He succeeded at it too as my cheeks were flushed and my makeup was quickly mixing with sweat.

It was only a few seconds later that everyone shelved my awkward entrance and focused their attention back to their partners.

With my eyes clear of the spotlight and stares from others, I took a moment to sweep my eyes around the room. The masquerade ball had a sort of night-time theme, with bright lights hanging around fake trees and stars dangling from the ballroom’s high-reaching ceiling.

The next slow song began to play; it was one of my favourites, “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia. I glanced down to watch my step along the balloon and lightly fog-covered floor when I noticed the all-too familiar shoe stance of my crush. He stood there awkwardly, with one white converse facing forward and the other turned in. He looked almost picturesque. His brown curls looked fluffier than ever and his clothes were tightfitting – just the way I liked them. He had on khakis, a black blazer over a white shirt buttoned to the top, and an asymmetrically patterned bow tie. His smile was stretching from one cheek to the other, unveiling his dimples and infallible teeth. It was Harry Styles.

Suddenly, my grey eyes locked with Harry’s X-rated green eyes. With his cheeky smile pushing against his eyes, he was sort of squinting – making him look even more heavenly.

 “You look stunning.” Harry teased in his low-toned voice as he kissed my hand.

I couldn’t look away from his stare. “Thank you.” I replied in a confident tone. 

“May I have this dance?” Asked Harry.

“Of course.” I nervously hesitated as I accepted his offer.

I followed Harry to the middle of the ballroom and the spotlight shined down on the two of us. Harry slipped his large hands around my waist and gently pulled me close into his chest. I rested my chin on his shoulder. He moved one of his hands to middle of my back, sending shivers throughout my entier body.

“You are the most beautiful girl in this room, Rachel Morgan.” Harry whispered into my ear. He then pulled away slightly to look me directly in the eyes. He leaned in with his lips heading towards mine, his nose brushing against mine, and then – the light from the spotlight shined brighter, almost like the beam-lights of a car. The ballroom went into a panic and my mask was pulled back down to the edge of my nose. It must have been Louis fooling around again. “LOUIS!” I shouted at him annoyed.

Suddenly, the stinging, bright light was brought back into my eyes. But this time, it was from my bedroom window.

My slow dance with Harry Styles was only another, detailed dream. I was quite used to waking up this way and dreaming of Harry was the closest I could get to him since the starting of my crush freshman year.

After screaming into my pillow once, I quickly changed out of my  PJ’s, walked over to the toilet to brush my teeth, and began recounting in my head, the events from my dream.

As if my dream hadn’t been interrupted enough that morning, right on queue my mother and sister barged in with a homemade cake lit with 18 birthday candles. "SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACH!"  My mother called out in a singing voice.

"Quick Rach, blow out the candles before the cake gets all waxy!" My annoying, but sometimes adorable little sister, Ali,  as she blew into a party whistle.

"Thanks guys, but really? A cake for breakfast?"

"Yeah-huh!" Mum said with a wink.

“Oh, wow. Thanks mum and Ali" I made sure to thank her or else her frown would stay on her face the entire day if she didn't get some sort of credit for doing absolutley nothing, as always. "But I better get going. Louis is probably waiting for me at the bus stop, I'll see you all later!" l pulled my purse off of its hook and began to make my way downstairs.

"Wait! Don't you want to see your gift, yet?" My mother called behind me. I rolled my eyes and turned around.

"Mum, I'm sure it can wait, I'm sort of late – " 

"No, just come. You'll love it, I promise! It’s what you’ve always wanted!" My mum interrupted, grabbed my wrist, and pulled me towards the front garden. I sighed, and couldn't do anything but just follow her to whatever she was so incredibly excited for me to see. 

  The only thing I had ever really wanted was Harry, and I didn’t want her mum anywhere near that plan. As obsessed as that sounded, I promise I wasn't. It was simply just a crush that I was desperate to turn into anything more. 

Before exiting the front door, my mom placed a mask over my eyes. I began to smile as I harked back onto my masquerade dream.

“Okay, here we are. Take off your mask.”

I slowly pulled off my mask and my eyes instantly widened.

 End of Chapter 1!

 Hope you all enjoyed, leave your comments/suggestions! :) 

 -- Rida xx