Chapter 20: Suspicious

"The suspicious mind believes more than it doubts. It believes in a formidable and ineradicable evil lurking in every person.-Eric Hoffer

Chapter [20]

Honey

Sitting in a pancake house at 1am with Tyrone was surprisingly fun. Sitting in his business attire grubbing on pancakes with me across from him in a skin tight dress with a short stack in front of me made us stick out like a sore thumb.

But ask me if I cared.

But I felt like I was missing someone. So I did what any person missing what they needed most did.

Try and fix whatever it is to get it back.

I pulled out my phone after laughing to one of Tyrone's corny ass jokes.

"Who you callin'?" He asked leaning over the table to sneak at my phone. Before he could glance at the name, I hugged the phone to my breasts.

"Why you so damn nosy?" Tyrone leaned back into the booth and shrugged his shoulders twirling his straw inside the milkshake. 

"I'm not." he said coolly. I kissed my teeth and tapped my phone to dial the number. 

Two rings, then she picked up.

"Hello?"

I took a deep breath. In all honesty, I was nervous to speak to Nova. It had been months since we spoke and hating to admit it, it was hard everyday. I wanted that friend I could go to back. Don't get me wrong I loved Tyrone and all bu there were somethings you just couldn't discuss with a man, friend or not.

"Hey," I said finally. "I was calling to see what you were up to."

There was a long pause. "Um, I just left work not to long ago, whats up?" I could tell in her voice she was just as confused to why I was calling her as much has I was for dialing her number but there was no turning back now.

"Well," I nervously began fiddling with the fork on my plate. "Tyrone and I are out eating breakfast and I was wondering if you wanted to join us."

Another long pause. 

"Is this your way of being my friend again?" She asked. 

"I figured this would help start seeing as you could never resist a stack of pancakes." I laughed. She chimed in and for a second I felt like I had my childhood friend back. 

"Girl, you know me well, but lets do a rain check. I'm really tired so Ima just go to sleep but I got you soon though. Cool?" I smiled.

"Yeah, we can do that."

"Cool, bye."

I hung up the phone only to catch Tyrone giving me his confused look.

"What?" I asked digging into the last bi of my blueberry short stack.

"Did you just call Nova? The same person who you swore you could never talk to again?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Yeah, with us having a fun time here at the Diner, I missed when it was us three together. I miss the bond, you know?"

"Tyrone nodded his head then signaled to our waitress to bring him another milkshake. 

Our waitress walked to our table and I couldn't help but assess her. She was cute girl, no doubt. Behind the tired lines in her face and her messy bun, I could tell she was a beautiful girl. Her skin was that of beach sand and lil' mama had enough curves for me to guess she was still in her 20's.