Chapter 31: Helpless

Disturbing Content

"You can spend minutes, hours, days or weeks over analyzing a situation, trying to put the peices together trying to justify what would've, could've, or should've happened...-Anonymous 

Chapter 31

Honey

Even though I was flipping through the channels of my TV, I couldn’t keep my mind off of Zeke. I just had this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach that he went and did something stupid. The way he looked at me when I told him was scary. Those grey eyes held the look of a mad man. But would he really do anything to his own father?

Reaching for my phone on the coffee table, not paying attention to the sitcom playing, I decided to call him to see if he was okay. The first two calls rang completely through taking me to voicemail. I waited about fifteen minutes to call again, this time taking me straight to voicemail. Suddenly getting nervous, I picked up the phone again and dialed Tyrone’s number.

He picked up on the first few rings but in the background I heard laugher before he actually said anything.

“Hello?”

“Tyrone? You busy, I need to talk to you.” Tyrone, hearing my uneasiness, told whoever he was laughing with to hush telling me that he was with someone.

“What’s wrong?” he asked with concern. 

“Ty, if you’re busy I can call another time.” I said. Despite my worrying, I didn’t want to take anything away from whatever he was doing.

“Naw, I’m not busy.” He said but then I heard a woman’s voice in the background. “Really, Tyrone! Whose that bitch on the phone!”  I could hear scuffling and Tyrone trying to calm her down but she was already announcing she was leaving. There was a pause on the other line before I could hear his voice again.

“Hey, sorry about that.” He said. I stifled a laugh.

“Who was that? The girl from the diner?” I asked.

“Yeah, she asked to hangout so I invited her over and she been bugging ever since. Every time my phone goes off she’s thinking it’s another woman or something.” He exhaled deeply in frustration and this time I smiled shaking my head.

“Do me a favor. No more trying to hook me up, okay?” I nodded my head as if he could see me.

“I promise.” I laughed.

“Good, now what’s going on? It sounded important a minute ago.” The thoughts of Zeke doing something stupid came back to me and I was worried all over again.

“Yeah, I think Zeke’s gone and done something stupid.”

“What makes you say that?”

“I told him how I seen Big Poppa in Nova’s apartment half naked and he sort of went off.”

“Damn, that’s fucked up. Nasty as hell too but I’m not surprised either.” He said referring to Nova’s track record with men.  “You think he would though?”

“Yeah, I mean you should have seen the look on his face. He looked like a mad man, Ty.”

“Did you call him?”

“Yeah, but all I got was voicemail.” I said beginning to nervously mess with the hem of my tank top.

“I’m sure he’s fine, he’s probably talking shit out with his pops.”