Chapter 14: No Time to Back Out

"I got whatchu want. I got whatchu need. How much for your soul Anna, how much for your soul Anna?"- J.Cole, "Rich Niggaz"

                                                                                                                                                     Chapter |14|

“Can’t you drive a little faster?!” My heart felt like it was beating its way out of my chest, my palms were sweaty and I couldn’t even describe how nervous I was at this moment. Despite everything over the years of growing up, at the end of the day, she was still my Mother.

“Honey, I’m going as fast as I can without getting pulled over. Getting a ticket would only delay things.” Zeke placed his free hand on my thigh and gently squeezed for reassurance.   “Relax a little, we’re almost there.”

Despite his soothing words and his attempt at comforting me, I just couldn’t relax. It wasn’t his mother who was battling for her life at the hospital. So many scenarios were running through my head about the doctor’s final say about the condition of my mother. Though most people could survive a heart attack, mama was one of those people who took way too many pills and her health condition wasn’t that great. Having one heart attack was something that could end her life.

But to please Zeke, I slipped my fingers through his hand on my thigh and gave him a weak smile.

At least I wasn’t going through this alone.

Like he said, it didn’t take long to get to the hospital. In a matter of minutes we were parked, out the car and into the elevator to the ICU unit to check on my mother. But even the elevator ride felt like an eternity. The elevator came to a stop at the third floor and immediately I spotted Nova sitting in the crowded waiting area with her face in the palm of her hands and her left leg shaking.

“Nova!” Her head snapped up in my direction and she stood and we met each other halfway before she fell into my arms sobbing, telling me how sorry she was and if she was watching her better she would have known and done something to help. The only thing I could do, despite my own tears, was to rub her back tell her it wasn’t her fault, but my mind was racing with the worst.

“What exactly happened Nova?” Zeke asked. She lifted her face from my chest and stood back and looked at us both. 

“It happened so quickly. One minute I’m giving her medication and then the next, she's gripping her chest and starts shaking uncontrollably…” Her voice trails off as well as her attention as if she’s relieving the moment. “So much spit and foam…oh my god, I feel like it’s my entire fault!”

I grabbed hold of Nova’s shoulders and shook her gently. “Did you give her the right amount of dosage?” I was frantic and terrified.

“Yes, as soon as you guys left, I gave her two of her heart pills and two of her blood thinners, and then she asked for aspirin for her back…”

“Nova you didn’t!” I yelled. Under my tone, I watched her flinch but at that moment I couldn’t give two shits. At first the blame wasn’t on her, but now…

“You never give aspirin with blood thinners especially in the same hour Nova!” feeling a new wave of nervousness as my stomach twisted in knots. I sat in the chair and placed my hands on the side of my head.

I heard Nova gasp and her start of a new round of apologies, but it was only starting to give me a banging headache. I was bout ready to tell her to shut up but then one of the doctors called for Nova.