Heaven

Michael's POV

I laid on my side and stared at the empty area of the bed. "Daddy?" I turned around and saw Princess standing there with a plate of cookies. I frowned. "Who let you bake cookies?" I asked. My voice scratchy and slightly irritable. "Tete Dana. She said it'll make you and Mommy feel better." I shook my head. "No thanks babygirl. Daddy's fine." I kissed her hand. "Go play." Princess set the cookies down on the table and crawled into my lap. "Daddy?" "What woman?" "You need to get up and sing," she ordered. I frowned deeper. "Princess, I'm fine," I whispered. She shook her head. Her eyes were like her mother's. She was persistent and wouldn't take no for an answer. "You would sing to make me feel better. I'm gonna sing." I put my hand on my face and sighed. "Princess-" 

"Lookin' out cross the nighttime. The city's wake it's sleepless eyee." 

"Four walls won't hol' me too night." 

"Why? Why? Tell that's human nashure. Why? Why? Wood you do me dhat way?" 

I pulled my hand away from my face and looked at my two year old daughter. "How do you know that?" "Mommy plays it when I can't sleep," she informed. "Babygirl," I whispered. I sat up. She grinned and put her little tan hands on my face. "Are you happy yet?" I smiled. "I think so. Where's Mommy?" Princess shrugged. "Tete said Mommy wasn't feeling too good." I sighed. "Well, let's hope she's better okay? Now where's your brother?" 

I climbed out of bed as I went to wash my face and brush my teeth. "Daddy?" "Yes ma'am?" "Did you make Mommy cry?" I froze in place and stared at my child. "Now Princess...where did that come from?" 

"Mommy was crying this morning when she left. I asked her what's wrong and she said she was little lonely." I couldn't give her a really good answer to that. "It's big people business honey buns. I wish I could tell you, but you're too young to get it." Princess frowned. "Oh well," she said. I nodded. "Oh well is right." 

Princess and I walked down the stairs to our kitchen. I was pretty impressed with what Bey had done to the house. It looked really good. Dana was talking to Doc quietly when I walked in. Dana hit Doc's arm and they shushed. "What's wrong?" Doc and Dana exchanged glances. "Bey's past her due date," Doc informed me. 

"Don't you give her two weeks though?" 

Doc nodded. "But we don't know if we're going to have to induce labor yet. We haven't seen Bey since she went to bed last night." I frowned. "No one has seen her?" Everybody shook their head. I sighed. "She'll reappear when she's ready." "We were also discussing the birth plan. You know Bey wants a water birth right?" 

I was a little confused on that. "Water birth? Explain please." 

"Well, that's where the baby is born in a tub or a birthing pool," Doc said. "A birthing pool?" I said. Doc nodded. "But...we want to accommodate to both you and Bey-I mean Bey and the baby." I nodded. "She told me she didn't mind giving birth in bed. If that's more comfortable. I don't know. It's not my genitals being stretched to extinction." "Well, while you away. Bey and I thought we could hire a doula instead of midwife. Well...this doula is a midwife as well, but she's really good." "What happened to Nurse Denise?" I asked. "She was popping pills on the job. I couldn't have that around my prized baby." I glanced at Dana who only shrugged. 

"So, what's a doula?" Princess asked. "Good question. What is she?" 

Doc smiled. "A doula is a professionally trained woman who gives emotional, physical, and informational support to a mother who is: expecting, experiencing labor, or has already given birth. She won't meet medical needs. That's my job. A doula is there during the birth to coach Bey, to help Bey, to support Bey. All that good stuff. After the birth, a doula will stay with the new mother to teach her on breastfeading, loving the baby, and caring for the baby. That stuff."