If I Were A Boy

Michael's POV

I sat quietly in my bedroom at Lisa's River Side Drive condo. Thanksgiving was gone and Christmas was soon to come. I hadn't heard from Bey in a month, but whenever I called I always talked to Solange and the kids. Doc would tell me her check up and she was in good condition, but her birth was soon approaching. Solange asked me would I show up and I couldn't even give her a clear answer. Lisa had gone Black Friday shopping, leaving me in the empty two-story condo. I picked up my phone and dialed Bey's number.

Hello this is Beyonce Knowles- Jackson, sorry you can't reach me, but hey! I am a performer y'know. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you. Have a Beyutiful day!

I heard the beep. "Um. Hi Bey. It's Michael. I just wanted to say that...I got some things for the baby and I was wondering if the address is still the same or what. So yeah. Call me, if you want." I hung up and sighed. "Michael, I'm back!" Lisa sang. I sat up and walked down the stairs. "Hi, how was shopping?" "Horrible, I bit a woman on the ear for this TV!" Lisa had someone bringing in a 50 inch TV. "Where's that going?" "My kitchen! So I can watch the housewives and eat." Lisa was an okay roommate, but she knew her boundaries. I nodded. "Good for you," I said. "Oh Michael," Lisa called. "Yeah?" "Some girl called for you..um Carmen. Car-keys...."

"Carmela?" I whispered.

"Yeah Carmela! She really wants to speak to you and also your lawyer called asking are you sure about filing the divorce?" I shrugged. "I'll have an answer by December," I answered. "All righty then. So!" Lisa sat on her posh couch. "Graceland is having their annual lighting of the house ceremony and I would like for you to accompany me. If possible? I know you're undercover and stuff." I shrugged. "I'll have an answer soon." Lisa nodded. "Alright okay. Alright okay."

Dana walked in the house. "I miss Houston's weather! Ugh Memphis is not nice!" Lisa scoffed. "Please have you been to Chicago in late November? That's hell in a snow globe. Nothing nice." I went back to my room and sat at my desk. Papers were everywhere. Papers with my drawings, papers with my songs, just papers with things on them. I stared at the picture of Prince and Princess at the Fourth of July picnic. I smiled.

"I promise I'll do better," I whispered.

I heard a soft tapping sound at my door. I turned around and saw Lisa there. "I brought ribs from Marlowe's and there's some Jack Pirtle's. I know you like fried chicken. and stuff." I nodded as I looked out my window over the mighty Mississippi River. "Lisa have you ever felt so empty inside that you...think about death?" Lisa blinked. "I'm not going to pretend like I know, but I've never felt that way, but I can say. I've felt loneliness, I've felt a broken heart and I know...you're incompleteness is because of that." I frowned in confusion. "Explain yourself."

"When you're with someone, you get everything done to the tee. Like you're moving at the speed of light at times, but when you're lonely....you tend to not care anymore. You tend to wallow in your own body odor and you just sit and watch people, not even showing the slightest bit of interest." "Beyonce had my heart though. She ripped it in shreds like it was a piece of crap and tossed it away. And I hate that. I hate the fact that my child could be born at any moment and I'm not there to see him. To see his first smile. To see his eyes open up. To hold him in my arms and sing to him. I can't tell him Daddy loves you when he first arrives. Lisa it hurts to be cold inside."

Lisa sighed. "Michael." She wrapped her arms around me. "You know...people only appreciate you when you're gone, but that's bullshit and you have to stand up and say "Hey I've done all this shit for you! At least show me some love for this!" I nodded into her chest. I held her slim waist.

"I wanna cry and eat and pout and scream and curse," I whispered.

Lisa laughed quietly. "Then do it. No ones holding you back," she whispered. I shook my head. 'You'd think I was a psychopath." Lisa nodded. "I probably would, but we all have a little psychopath in us." I shook my head. "Lisa, you're crazy." She shrugged. "You're the one that liked me first." I smirked. "Yeah, I did." Lisa pulled back and stared at me.

"I know my boundaries," she spoke, "and I'm not going to cross them."

Lisa put her hand on my shoulder and gently squeezed. "Oh Michael." She took her hand away and walked out of my room. I turned to my phone and called Carmela back. "Hi," she greeted. "How are you?" I asked. "I'm great. I flew out to Memphis to find you. If that was okay." I felt myself smile

"Where are you?" I asked softly.

"The Madison," Carmela whispered, "can I see you?" I began getting dressed as she spoke. "Yes you may. What room are you in?" "Room 517," she answered. I smiled. "Michael, you sound different," Carmela questionably stated. "Why is that?" I asked as I brushed my hair. "I don't know," she answered.

"Well you're gonna find out," I seductively answered. Before she could reply I hung up. "I should shower," I whispered to my mirror. I stripped down again and walked to the connected bathroom. I turned on the shower and stepped in. I shampooed my hair and began humming.

I got out and began my routine. I smirked as I brushed my teeth and looked at myself. I was gaining weight; which was horrible as hell. I got dressed and put on a black leather jacket and fedora. "I'm heading out!" I hollered. Dana was in the living room watching a movie. "You haven't even left this house since you got here. Where are you going?" "Meeting a friend."

I walked out the door and headed to The Madison. Which was only a block away. I put on my shades and began walking. It was so calm here. Nothing was happening. No paparazzi, no fans. I like Memphis. I headed to The Madison and entered with a group of people. It was too easy. The hotel was nice and quaint. With its marble floors and posh designs.

517.

517.

I repeated the three digits in my head until I reached the elevator. I smiled when I reached the fifth floor. "Time to rekindle a flame," I whispered. I stood in front of 517 for two minutes before knocking on the door.

"Hold on!"