Twenty Seven

Jade's POV

It took about three hours but Lauren is finished with her operation and she has her own room. Only two at a time are allowed so I'm going in last with Dani.

Amy and Lisa walk out with tears in their eyes, but I can tell they're hiding smiles.

"What?" I snapped.

"Oh nothing...Just that our sister is gonna be okay." Lisa smiles brightly at me.

I nod my head and she holds the door open for Dani and I.

I walk slowly in and my eyes land on the machine she's attatched to. On the screen I see the reading of her heartbeat. It's steady. She's alive.

I walk closer and take notice of the cast on her arm

I notice a blood patch on her gown, and without thinking a gently pull it up and see a bandage covering the area.

"Got a pretty nasty cut there. They had to stitch it up."

"FUCK." I shout in surprise.

I hear a weak giggle and Lauren is layed there, her eyes barely open but she's looking at me.

"You scared me...Twice."

"Sorry."

"Don"t be."

We stay in silence until she weakly pats the bed with her good hand. "Sit here."

"No, I'll sit here." I say as I sit down on the chair next to the bed.

"Jade." She says as sternly as she can.

"Wait until you're stronger. Please, I don't want to hurt you even more than you already are." I look around and notice Dani isn't in the room. "Where's Dani?"

"I told Lisa I wanted to have some time on my own with you." She replies shyly. "Is that okay?"

I laugh and grab her hand, holding it gently. "That's fine."

We start to talk about random things, as if she never got hit by the car...Then I begin to think. If it was an accident, surely the person driving the car would have stopped...But he or she didn't..This wasn't an accident.

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Lauren asks trying to sit up.

"Nothing. Just...I want to stay. Tonight..Or..Maybe until you get out of here.." I say rubbing the back of my neck.

"You don't have to."

"But I want to." I say quickly. "I don't care if my parents say no. I'm staying here. I'm gonna look after you...I'm gonna protect you..."

"Protect me? Protect me from what?" Lauren asks confused.

"Whoever did this...This wasn't an accident...If they come here to hurt you even more I can protect you. I won't let them hurt you." I say as I stand up trying to contain my anger. "They'll have to kill me before they can lay a finger on you."

"Jade..." Lauren says quietly as she sits up fully. I feel her lay her hand on mine and I turn my head to look at her. "Nobody has cared this much about me." She says trying not to cry.

"Well I do. I always will." I bring her hand to my lips and kiss it gently. "I promise nobody will hurt you when I'm around."