6

A white unicorn with a purple mane was walking along the street. This was Rarity, Sweetie Belle's older sister. Alongside her was Fluttershy, a yellow Pegasus who was scared of heights. And depths. And falling. And fully-grown dragons. And the dark. And unexplained shadows. And her own shadow.

"Really, Fluttershy, you and me- I think we're the only sane ponies left. A beautiful day, and what is everypony doing? Singing at each other, watching other ponies sing at each other, harvesting apples: nopony is sane! I mean, we're completely sane... well, apart from your obsession with trees..."

"I'm sorry," said the Pegasus, "I-I just really want to be a tree. You wouldn't understand."

"I agree. Oh look, we're at Twilight's new tree."

It was Twilight's 'new' tree because her original tree in Ponyville was blown up by an evil power-seeking centaur-like thing called Lord Tirek, and got replaced by a giant crystal castle on the outskirts of town. The castle's still there but... trees.

Out of the tree stomped a tiny purple dragon who we've already met and is called Spike. And this leads me to wonder why the tree didn't burn down long before the evil centaur-Lord came along, because trees and dragons usually don't go well together. Infact-

"Twilight's always so choosy and perfectionist and, grmblgrmble" Spike grumbled, cutting off the narrator for possibly the first time in history. The nerve.

"Oh no, here comes Spike..." Rarity groaned into Fluttershy's ear.

A few nanoseconds later, Spike noticed Rarity and began floating, which was quite unique for a wingless dragon. Luckily, he just bobbed a metre above the ground, instead of floating off into the sky and the blackness of the Void beyond.

"Raaariiityyy..." Spike murmured.

"Spikey Wikey, I already told you no! I am an adult pony, you are a baby dragon! You have to get over this useless crush! You should just-"

The floating purple dragon's face fell, and tears filled his eyes.

"B-But Raaariityyy..."

"No buts, Spikey. We are too different-"

"B-But I made you this gem... It's a firestone ruby... For you, Raaariityy..."

"Spike I said- a firestone ruby?"

Rarity's eyes darted from side to side.

"Fluttershy, darling," she said, "Would you mind just... walking around the other side of the tree while I break off Spike?"

"uhm... okay..."

Once Fluttershy was gone, she walked up to Spike. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and he gasped.

Rarity sighed, exasperated. "I love you."

The dragon gasped an even gaspier gasp and dropped the ruby. Rarity grabbed it with her magic and galloped away, giggling. "See you Spikey!"

As Rarity disappeared around the very rounded corner of the tree, Spike dropped to the ground.

"Guh... Why am I outside again?" Then he started patting his scales. "Hey! Where's the firestone ruby I was going to eat for lunch?" (Yes, dragons eat precious gems. No, I don't know why.)

"Spiiiiike!" A purple unicorn head popped out the doorway of the tree. "Help me reshelve the library: I bet there's a friendship lesson in that! We'll be busy for three days!"

"Oh grea-" he said as he was dragged through the door. The door slammed closed on his 't'.