Pawns

Arla Pov

It has been a while since our dinner. He acknowledges me , yet he keeps his distance.
"Arla I will be out for a couple of days. Kaden will look after things for me"
I regard him, so does he.
I wait wanting him to give me the details, I don't ask. I wait.
He hesitates for a moment , then leaves the room without a word.
I exhale a breath that I was holding this whole time. So he puts his brother in charge. Not me.
I ascend the stairs, taking everything in. Everyone is nervous even Grace.
"Luna" Autumn hugs me. "Don't worry we'll be all right "
I give her no word. We will be alright, as in aren't we now?

I put my emotion less face. I silently watch when his worriers get in to trucks, hundreds of wolves.
He leaves last , I could tell that he feels my presence, my stare even,but he doesn't even look at me.
My wolf is pacing inside, her senses tell her that something is wrong. She barks at my ignorance, wanting to know what has happened.

No one talks about it and his couple of days passed a week yesterday.
Kaden sits at the head table, my wolf doesn't like his ways, according to her it's her mate's seat. And if he's not around ,it's ours.
Today is the first Sunday of the month, it means a pack meeting will be held tonight. Tonight I will be able to know what's happening, I am ashamed that he didn't tell me. Whether I like it or not I am the Luna of this pack. I have a right to know.

"Luna, we're ready to start. Kaden says giving me the his respect I deserve "
"Good" No need to waste much words.

I don't know how people can be this quiet, thousands of wolves waiting for their leaders to speak.
"It has been difficult for past few weeks for Olympic. With the arrival of our Luna things have been out of the order for all of us" Kaden's deep voice continues. Where is he going with this? Did he just disrespect me in front of the whole pack?I consider this wolf for a while, he's nothing compared to us. My wolf slightly surge forward.
"But I assure you the Alpha will bring nothing but the glories with the blessings of the moon goddess."
Then he turns his eyes towards me, mocking smile on his eyes."The Luna will speak to you about our current situation "
I could tell that he knows that I don't know and he's playing it against me. I have failed to figure out my enemies.
I stand with my head held high looking at the sea of wolves, some bow their heads unable to bear my presence.
"We" I pause thinking about my next words " are werewolves. We have mixed our traditions with technology along with our gifts from the nature. That's how we survived and that's how we will survive in the future. When the time comes Amazon will live as wolves or die as wolves "

I sit not even looking at Kaden.
Kaden speaks with a pause. "So we have lost 34 wolves and I am truly great full for them and their families, may they all follow the moon goddess " . Pack howls for the loss of these wolves, I naturally join them , even not knowing who they are or what killed them.
"Olympic is loosing " Kaden's voice goes straight to my heart. This is what he didn't tell me, this is what no one spoke in front of me.
"Adrian" my only thought. How can he be this stupid. More importantly why?. I keep my face straight, not showing any emotion whatsoever.
Standing first after the meeting I go to the head table sitting first, on his seat. I don't want to play this game anymore.

"Arla" Kaden's voice is full of anger.
"Yes Beta?" I ask with my calmness.
"He put me in charge " I slowly get up giving him a chance to back up.
"And I just demoted you, what are you gonna do about it Beta?"
His eyes shine with humiliation and anger.
"Don't you dare think we don't know what you're up to. Is this your plan to send him away and steal his pack? You know what Arla, when the time comes I will live like a wolf or die like a wolf "

Without a heart beat he shift to his light brown wolf, eying me , challenging me . I understand how this looks like , now I see the disgust in these wolves' eyes. They have the numbers.
I regard the wolf that is willing to die at my hands. Should I kill his for his loyalty?
"Kaden, don't do this. I don't want to hurt you but know this that I will "
He jumps directly to my throat. In a swift motion I shift to my dark brown wolf.
This angry wolf is like a juvenile pup to me. My wolf knows better. She bites his neck, asking for submission. And he gives in, without being able to fight the power before his weak self.

I shit back to my human self.
"Is there anyone else who has doubts about my loyalty towards this pack?"
No body moves a muscle. They are aware what they're up against.
"You may retreat with your tasks"
I say and walk in to the pack house, my emotions well hidden behind mask of a face.
I straight away go to the bathroom, letting the cold water calm my risen fur.
My mate or my brother ?
I calmly put on a short and a t shirt and walk to the garage that has the pack vehicles. My running shoes doesn't make a sound. My heart heavy with what I might get to witness.
" I knew you would leave"
Her voice is calm ,soothing.
"It's the best thing Mazikeen "
"It won't look good on you Luna"
"I know, but it's the right thing to do"
"They are attacking from four sides. Raven's Hills ; that's where you'll find him." Then she corrects herself, "them"

I drive fast two days without a break, only stopping for gas and quick snacks. My mind clouded with what I might get to see.
I could feel the presence of wolves from miles apart. Nature warning me about the threat. I see a large tent , wolves hurry in and out taking injured wolves for treatment. Battle field is not in vicinity yet I could hear them.
I shift in to my wolf and ran , following the smell my wolf knows too well. She's not excited to meet him yet her loyalty towards him is unfailing.
His wolf surrounded by few wolves of Amazon pack , look at me in the eye.
He's in trouble. I notice Klaus fighting three of Olympic warriors. Why aren't they fighting each other like true wolves? It could save all these lives.

Amazon wolves circle my brother, he won't survive this. Should I let my brother die in front of my eyes? My wolf jumps at the crowd, my snarls are so powerful, they instantly back away a little. Confused, I will not let them kill my brother.
They back away and I could tell that they got an order.
Klaus
His pace is slow, he walks towards me , not looking anywhere else. This magnificent beast in front of me is nothing but nature.
I give him my submission turning my neck towards the moon. I let him read my mind, my worry for him and for him.
I howl my pain for him to hear, the hurt, loneliness, betrayal, fear.
I shift wanting to communicate properly.
"Adrian , what is the meaning of this? We can talk it out please "
He doesn't say a word. Jumping at Klaus without even bothering to answer me.
This is fatal, one of them will die tonight. I interfere when it's too close to death. Klaus's wolf eyes looking at me , giving me his growls.

Tonight I will make a decision and I understand it will carry consequences. I howl the howl of alphas entire battle field freezing for a moment.
I shift back and I say the words that held too much of brutality.
"As dictated by tradition, I Aria ; first born of the former Alpha of the Olympic pack ,challenge you ;Adrian, the alpha of the Olympic pack for the Alpha title"

Klaus is the first one to back off from the circle, lesser wolves immediately following him.
My brown wolf regard the male wolf in front of her. He is almost identical to her. Only slightly smaller . His eyes are painful but determined. Is he willing to kill me if that's what it takes?
He's already hurt from the fights. My wolf waits patiently for him to attack. She has always been nothing but patient with him , she could be patient with a wolf she holds dear.

He takes the first bite and the dance of dominance starts. It's very hard for anyone to say whether blood is mine or his. We smell the same, almost

Couple of times I thought that it's over, I thought that I got it but his unfailing determination told me otherwise.
He's good but good is not good with the best. I pin him down biting his neck deep asking for submission. He doesn't give me the satisfaction I seek. Trying to kick me with his broken hind leg.
I bite harder furious that he's not submitting. Yet I have never felt so proud about him like this, willing to die for what he believe is right.

When oblivion takes him over somewhere between life and death he closes his eyes as a wolf who never submitted to anyone in all 22 years of life.
My shift is painful with my injuries, yet what needs to be done, needs to be done.
" I will be the Olympic alpha now on, is there anyone who wants to change my title?"
They all bend their heads down giving me the submission and I carry my brother's body to the Amazon infirmary praying to the moon to save his life.