Chapter 18

WES' POV

Do you ever feel like everybody, everything, is out to get you. Like the universe has one job and one job only, and that's to make sure you have a miserable life.

Well that's my life.

I may lose the the first girl I have ever loved. And may be the last girl I ever love.

'It's Lily... She's been in a car accident' the words have been playing over, and over, and over, in my head.

We're in the car, driving to the hospital and I don't even know how I got in the car because after I heard them words its been pitch black since. I'm not even crying I feel no emotion at all. I think I'm in shock and I can't process what's happening.

I'm sitting in the back of the car and Drew is driving and Keaton is in the passengers seat. Drew us driving as fast as he can. He is holding the stiring wheel so tight his knuckles are white. Keaton is staring out the window crying. I can't imagine what he's feeling right now.

We pull up to the hospital.

I don't want to see her. Once I see her I'm going to feel all the pain and guilt and I'm not ready to feel that. But I have to see her.

We all rush into the hospital.

I get to the front desk first, "Lily Smith?!" I ask quickly. She looks down at the file with paperwork in it.

"She's in critical condition, you can't see her yet."

"UGH!" I walk over to the wall and slam my fists into it. I try to hold back the tears but I just can't.

Drew comes over to me, "It's gonna be fine."

"No Drew. It's obviously not fucking fine! I can't see her and- I need to- and this can't be happening, it's all my fault." I'm crying so hard I can't breath.

Soon after I finally stop crying. Then Lily's sister walks in with a man and a women who look like they're in their early forties.

They must be her parents.

"Jackie! Over here!" Drew yells.

She walks over, her parents following. Then Drew gives Jackie a hug. Um ok am I missing something?

I can tell Drew is explaining everything we've heard so far.

"Who are these boys?" The woman asks Jackie.

"Um they're-"

"Hi, I'm Drew."

"Hello I'm Keaton."

Then everyone looks at me... Because they know I shouldn't say anything about me and Lily, but screw it.

"I'm Wesley, Lily's boyfriend." I hold out my hand the man shakes it. And the woman gives me a hug. Well this is sorta awkward.

"I'm Suzan and this is my husband Jack."

I finally look into her mothers eyes. They're all red and puffy from her crying. Then I think about how much Lily talks shit about her parents saying they don't care about her.

••••••••••

We all sat in the waiting room in an awkward silence. "So how old are you son?" Jack asks me.

My eyes grow wider. Jackie's head darts toward me and she starts shaking her head 'no'.

"Um I uh actually have to go to the bathroom." I say hoping out of my chair running down the hallway. I stop in the middle of the hallway and notice its empty.

I hate the empty feeling I get when no one is around me. Especially when Lily isn't with me. I'm scared that I'm going to lose Lily.

Then I'll have that empty feeling forever.

Then I break down in the middle of the lonely hallway.