Elsewhere |9|

Ellie Moore

I let my feet swing from the branch I sat on. I looked out towards the distance. The sun was rising. The leaves swayed in the wind. Everyone sat below me eating breakfast. Glenn and Maggie exchanged looks. He stood up and I shot him a look. Dale nodded at him.

"Um, guys." He said playing with his fingers. "So... the barn is full of walkers." He said.

My eyes went wide and everyone looked at him. We all stood up and walked over to the barn. Shane looked inside. "You can't tell me you're alright with this?" He said to Rick. The adults started yelling and Daryl started to swing at Shane. I grabbed him and pulled him back.

They kept yelling and the walkers start to hear us. The banged on the doors and we all looked at them. "Stay away from the barn for now." Rick looked at Carl and I. "I'm not a little kid." I defended. "Actually you are, and we don't want you getting hurt," Shane said.

I turned to Daryl. He shrugged and left.

~

Lori, Carl, and I all sat around the table. She made us do math problems and she was checking mine. "Does Shane think Sophia is really dead?" Carl said. Lori stopped checking my paper and looked at him. "No, he's just scared," Lori said.

"Of the walkers in the barn?" I asked.

Lori nodded. "I'm not leaving until we find Sophia. And I don't want to go even after that." He said. "We're not leaving Carl. Now finish your problems." She said going back to grade mine.

"I think she.. she's going to like it here." He smiled. "You really care for her," I said. Carl nodded. "She's all I think about." I nodded and looked down. Lori nudged me and I looked at her. She handed me my paper and it had 100% on the top. I smiled and set the paper on the table.

~

Alexis walked up to me as I wrote more things in my journal. "Hi." She said with her bubbly attitude. I smiled. "Hey," I answered. She sat down next to me. "I want to show you something," Alexis said grabbing my hand. I put my journal in my bag and chased after her. We climbed a tall hill and there sat a tire swing.

"This is it." She smiled.

"A tire swing?" I asked.

"I come here when stuff is bothering me." Alexis pointed to the swing. "Why don't you sit down." I walked over to the old swing and sat. "Tell me about Carl." She smiled really big.

I stared at my fingers.

"You like him," Alexis said. I shook my head. "He's annoying and immature. Not my type at all he's a friend. No, he's an acquaintance." I said. "That's all he'll ever be. Plus, he likes Sophia so I would never distract him from his goal of being her boyfriend." I frowned.

"If you mind, Daryl's looking for me," I said wiping my eyes. I started to walk down the hill and I saw everyone standing around the barn. Shane was yelling and Hershel and Rick were holding walkers on one of those dog things.

I walked over to them and Carl smiled at me. I gave him a weak smile and Shane shot the Walker Hershel held in the stomach and it didn't die. "If someone was alive could they just take that?!" He yelled. "Why is he still coming?!" He yelled. Rick spoke up. "That's enough!"

Shane nodded. "You know what? That is enough." He walked over to the walkers and shot them. I looked to Hershel and he looked as if he was going to cry. Shane walked towards the barn and opened it. Lori pulled Carl back and then pulled me.

Once all the walkers were down we all sat in silence. No one said a word. Until.....

Two more groans were heard. We waited for the arrival of the Walkers and they finally appeared. The blue flannel she wore had holes all in it. Her hair was messy. Her eyes yellow. I spent my spent my whole life with her. I screamed trying to run towards her. Lori grabbed me.

"No!" I yelled struggling to run.

"Mommy," I whispered. "Let me go!" I screamed kicking the air. Lori shushed me keeping me in a tight hug. "You're okay, baby." She kissed my head. "My mom." I cried harder.

My mom was a walker.

Sophia was a Walker.

I screamed and cried. She was gone.. I reached for Car but he pushed me away as he stared at Sophia. I was confused by his actions. Carol ran towards her but Daryl grabbed her. Rick stepped up to Sophia and my mom and shot them. As we stood there shocked, Beth ran towards one of the walkers.

She cried and whispered something about her mom. Then in a flash, her mom groaned. She started to try to bite her but we killed it before she could. I let more tears fall as I walked away. No one talked. We mostly cried over ones we lost.

Carl sat next to me as I wrote things down in my journal.

Ellie
Rick
Shane
Daryl
Lori
Carl
Carol
Andrea
Dale
T-dog
Glenn

The remaining survivors.