Elsewhere |3|

Ellie Moore

We all stepped inside. I looked around and Daryl pulled me by him. "Hello?" A man said.

They adults all held up guns.

"Any of y'all infected?" He asked. Rick spoke up. "One of our group was... He didn't make it."

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The man walked towards us. "A chance." Rick replied, his voice filled with hope.

The guy stepped closer.

He looked at all of us. "You all submit a blood test that's the price of admission." He said.

My eyes widen as I looked up at my mom who hugged me. "It will be fine." She mouthed. I nodded.

I've been scared of needles my whole life. I don't know why they just freak me out.

"We can do that," Rick said as everyone nodded. I, on the other hand, shook my head no, but no one bothered to acknowledge. "You have stuff, get in now. Once those doors close they won't open again." The man turned to walk away.

We piled in our stuff, which wasn't a lot these days. We spilt into elevators, Carl sliding his way to the same one I was on.

We waited in an elevator for a few seconds and once off, we followed him down a hallway into a huge room full of tech and screens. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room!" He called.

The lights turned on. "Where's everyone else? The doctors... Staff?" Rick asked. The place was empty only the Scientist, who I found out was called Jenner.

"It's just me," Jenner said, a slight frown playing on his mouth. I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. I knew the look on his face was a look of loss.

"What about the person you were just talking to,Vi?" Andrea said.

"Vi, say hello to our guests!"

"Hello, guest welcome." A girl's voice said over the intercom. We realized it was an A.I and Jenner escorted us to a waiting room to draw a sample.

"Ellie, you're next," Rick pointed to the door and I hesitated to go in. My mom was right behind me, as well as Daryl.

I sat down to get my blood being taken and my mom stood next to me. "Look at me." She said. I did as told. "Close your eyes and think of your favorite thing. The most happiest place." My mom smiled.

I imaged a campsite in my brain. I twirled around in a beautiful white dress. I heard my name being called in the distance.

My mom stood there in a white dress too. I smiled and ran to hug her but as I did an arrow went straight through her torso. The white dress became a spiraling circle of red.

She fell down and I fell to my knees. "Mom!" I screamed.

I jumped out of the vision and grabbed my moms hand. "Are you okay?" Daryl asked giving me a weird look. I stared at the wall not answering his question. My mom squeezed my hand.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I felt a tear and quickly wiped it. "Is she your kid?" Jenner asked Daryl, slightly tilting his head.

"Niece." Daryl helped me off the table.

We all ate and the adults downed bottles of wine. They were all laughing like children. The table was filled with slurred words and jumbled sentences. It was hard to keep a conversation going.

Daryl handed me a glass. "Go ahead, try it."

"Really?" Lori scoffed. "It's not like it's going to hurt her," Daryl said. My mom shrugged and urged me take a sip. I happily took a sip before scrunching my face in disgust. "That was awful!" I shivered at the lingering taste. The adults laughed at my reaction.