The girl who cried wolf: Chapter Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty three

(Mia’s POV)

     I was running through the woods, the rain hitting me hard. My heart pounding in my chest, I was panting heavily. I could hear twigs breaking as I ran, I felt free and alive. It was exhilarating. Suddenly I hear a load howl and stop dead in my tracks; I look around trying to find the source. When his sweet scent hits my nose my heart skips a beat. I turn to see him walk out from the trees. As my eyes meet his I lower my head and body to the ground, the damp earth clinging to my white fur. He walks towards me until I see his big black paws in front of me. I raise my head to meet his amber eyes once more. He lowers his head and rests his jaw on my neck, his black fur mingling with my own. I close my eyes my eyes and feel his tongue on my neck. My whole body tingles from his touch, a feeling of utter bliss overpowering me. As I feel his tongue once more I begin to shake, my heart pounding in my chest and my head spinning. The trail from his tongue feeling as though I was being stabbed with thousands of needles. My stomach churning as though I am going to throw up. Suddenly I realise his scent, it’s somehow changed. He no longer had his sweet scent; it was bitter and burnt my nostrils. Daring myself to open my eyes, I looked up at a pair of big amber eyes staring back at me. They were cold and threatening, instantly I know who they belong too. There is only one person who can make me feel this way. It’s Wyatt. My eyes grow wide as I stare at him. My body filling with fear and dread. I turn away from him no longer able to withstand his gaze. What I see gives me no comfort. Luca’s naked battered body is lying on the ground a few feet away from us. I can just about see the slight rise and fall of his bloody chest. The faint sound of a growl leads my eyes to the tree line. A set of piercing amber eyes are glaring down at Luca. My body freezes as a small brown wolf steps out of the trees, baring its teeth and growling at Luca. I glance up at Wyatt but he seems unfazed, his eyes still glued on me. I turn back to Luca and the little brown wolf; surprised to that it was now licking his wounds. It seemed to be whimpering and nudging him with its muzzle. To my amazement the little brown wolf shifted into Layla. She was hugging his body tightly and sobbing. My attention was pulled back to Wyatt; I could feel his hands on my body. It wasn’t until now that I had noticed I was in my human form. Wyatt’s naked body was pressed against mine. His hands pinning mine above my head. I want to scream as he kisses me and slowly makes his way to my neck. A single tear rolls down my cheek as a burning sensation, starting at my neck, spread through my body. He had marked me. I feel his teeth pierce my skin once more; this time a scream does leave my lips. I close my eyes and wish that he will go away. Like magic I feel his weight lifted off my body. I open my eyes and see two black wolves fighting in front of me. It was Wyatt and Luca; they were biting and clawing at each other. Behind them I saw a small group of wolves, they all seemed eager to join the fight. There was five of them, one little brown one, which I recognised to be Layla. The rest were black. As I looked at them more closely I could identify each of them. The big black wolf next to Layla was Tyler. Lucia was on the other side of Tyler. She was smaller than Tyler but bigger than Layla. The other two black wolves were Antonio and Faith. I try to run to them to them but my feet are stuck to the spot. My eyes grow wide as I see light coming from the trees. A howl fills the air, the same howl I heard the night my mother was killed. Several wild and scruffy wolves enter the clearing. An evil blood hungry glint in their eyes. They were all staring at me, slowly edging closer. The others didn’t seem to notice them approaching us; they were consumed with the fight in front of them. These crazed looking wolves reminded me of Layla somehow, they had the same fire in their eyes. A howl of pain brings my eyes back to Luca and Wyatt; I can’t help but smile when I see Luca standing over Wyatt’s motionless body. He looks at me, his eyes shining brightly. As he takes a step towards me the sound of gunshots fill the air. A handful of men come out from the trees with guns and fire torches in the hands. The guns pointed directly at us. The wild wolves stand in front of them, seeming to guard them. In an instant Luca was back in his wolf form and charging at the intruders, alongside Tyler and the others. I want to join them but I still seem to be stuck to the spot. A familiar shiver runs down my spine.