The girl who cried wolf: Chapter eight

Chapter eight

      I was running through the wood, the rain hitting me hard. My heart pounding in my chest, I was panting heavily. I could hear twigs breaking as I ran, I felt free and alive. It was exhilarating. Suddenly I hear a loud howl and stop dead in my tracks; I look around trying to find the source. When his sweet scent hits my nose my heart skips a beat. I turn to see him walk out from the trees. As my eyes meet his I lower my head and lower my body to the ground, the damp earth clinging to my white fur. He walks towards me until I see his big black paws in front of me. I raise my head and meet his amber eyes once more. He lowers his head and rests his jaw against my neck, his black fur mingling with my own. I close my eyes and feel his tongue on my neck. As I hear a twig snap nearby my eyes snap open. I front of us stood a big black wolf, bigger than Luca. He growls loudly and bears his teeth at us, its big amber eyes glued on me. The black wolf steps forward, in response Luca steps in front of me as to shield me from the strange wolf. As it tries to take another step Luca lets out a low warning growl. As they square up to each other a strange scent hits me, not like anything I’ve smelt before. There was something else out there. I whipped my head to the left and was greeted by the sight of a pair of amber eyes; they were burning into me from the darkness of the trees.

(Luca’s POV)

     I had been walking for hours, I had finished my patrol but I didn’t want to deal with Wyatt right now. I had headed backed briefly to grab my clothes, I was too exhausted to stay in my wolf form. I hadn’t really slept much in the last few days, since discovering Mia was my mate I only seemed to relax when she close by. After Wyatt’s little outburst I didn’t think that was going to happen as often as I would like. As I walked through the trees a familiar scent caught my attention, it was Mia. What was Mia doing out here, it was at least a two miles away from the clearing. She had never been taken around the territory before, she must be lost. As I started to jog, following her scent, I picked up a couple of unfamiliar scents nearby. It was Lycans, possibly rogues. I started to sprint towards Mia knowing that they must have picked up on her scent as well; she would be helpless against them. I know that she could fight pretty well, but there was no way she was going to be able to take on two Lycans. My heart pounded in my chest, I would never be able to live with myself if anything happened to her. I still couldn’t get my head round what Mia was doing out here in the first place, maybe she had come out here looking for me. I didn’t care what her reason was I just needed to get her out of her now. After a few more minutes I found her, I was shocked to find her lying naked on the floor. Her body was motionless, fear filled me. I raced towards to and skidded across the ground to meet her. Her body was covered in mud, as I moved her blonde hair from her face I saw a small smile on her lips, she was sleeping. I tried to work out what she was doing sleeping out here when the scents of the rogue wolves suddenly became stronger. Fearing the worst about Mia had made me forget completely about the rogues, they were too close now for me to grab Mia and run. I stood for a moment and weighed up my options, all I knew was that I had was keep Mia safe no matter what it takes. Suddenly I heard leaves rustling to my right; I quickly shielded Mia and took up a defensive pose. I stood and waited for them to appear from the trees, I was ready for them they weren’t going to get to lay a finger on my Mia. My heart was pounding, my clenched fists shaking. My protective inner wolf was taking over; my body was starting to change. I was completely taken aback when I saw them emerge from the trees; instead of the two wolves I was expecting I saw two people. They both wore long green velvet cloaks, I couldn’t see their faces as they came towards me with their heads down and hoods up. The taller one of the two stepped towards me motioning the other to stay back; I let out a low warning growl making the person stop metres in front of me. The stranger slowly lifted their hands to their hood and removed it slowly. The tall stranger revealed themselves to be an olive skinned dark haired male, who looked as though he hadn’t shaved in few days. It was obvious that they had been on the road for a while. I let out another growl as he tried to take another step towards me.