The girl cried wolf: Chapter one

Chapter one

     “Promise me you won’t look back no matter what.”

Waking up sweating and shaking I rubbed my eyes and looked down at myself. I was shocked to see I was wearing a pair of jeans and a vest top, not my mud covered pyjamas. I brushed my fingers through my long blonde hair; it was clean and twig free. But how? The last thing I can I remember was laying in Paul smith’s land rover clutching onto the blanket he had thrown over to me. Looking around me I could tell this was a completely different car. This is all too much. What if whoever my mother wanted me to run from had got me? I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Looking for the door handle or something I heard voices, a woman’s and a man’s. I could have sworn the women sounded just like my mother. No wait the Irish accent is stronger; I could have sworn it sounded just like her.

     “Morning Mia.” The women said.

Sliding myself up to sitting I slowly looked up to face her. Wow. Not only does the woman sound like my mother she looked like her too. My jaw dropped.

     “How do you know my name and why do you look like my mother?” I asked.

    “I’m your aunt sweetie, your mother’s sister.” she answered chuckling slightly.

    “I don’t have any aunts.” I said still a confused.

     “Oh honey you do and uncles too.” She chuckled again.

I watched as she handed me a white envelope. Hesitating at first I slowly took it. It had my name on it in my mother’s handwriting; I was still confused as to how this woman had it though. I looked over at her and she saw my confusion.

    “It was in the duffle bag she gave you.” She said.

How dare she go through that my mum gave it to me not her? For the moment I didn’t care I just wanted to read the letter from my mum and figure out what the hell was going on. As quickly as I could I ripped it open. I glanced at the pages noticing little stains on it as though my mother had been crying when she wrote it. I took a deep breath and held back the tears as I began to read the letter.

Dear Mia,

I hoped I would never have to read this letter. I want you to know I love you, I always did. I know you’re probably scared and have no idea what’s going on, I know that’s my fault. I wanted to protect, I hidden so much from you so I could keep you safe. I guess as your reading this letter I couldn’t of done too good of a job.

I stopped for a moment as I tear ran down my cheek. How could she think she didn’t protect me, she gave her life for me. I wiped the tear away and continued to read.

Wow how do I start, I guess the best way is to just come out with it. I’m a Lycan; I guess you’d say a werewolf. Please don’t freak out, we’re nothing like what you see in the movies. We don’t turn on a full moon and we can’t be killed by silver. We don’t looks like monstrous creatures, we are simply wolves. A little larger than your average wolf but a wolf all the same. Most of what I told about my past was true; I just left a little bit out. As long as there has been ‘werewolves’ there have been hunters. When I was sixteen I was captured by hunters.  They weren’t just content on killing me, they tortured me and forced me to have sex with another one of their captives, a human he helped our kind. He gave his life so I could escape. When I returned home my father said I stank over human and knowing I was now un-pure he disowned me and my mate refused me and I was sent away. A few weeks a later I discovered I was pregnant with you. Mia you’re one of a kind, the only half breed in existence. Which make you a real prize for the hunters, that’s why we’ve moved around so much. I didn’t want and hunters finding you and treating you the way they treated me. Unfortunately as the years have pasted news of your existence has begun to spread like wild fire. I have coped for so long but now I fear they are closing in. That’s why I moved us to Ireland, a county or so away from my home town. I knew if anything would happen to me you would be safe with my pack. The only wolves who know we’re here are my sister, Joy and old friend that you’ve already met. Paul Smith.