Chapter Forty-Six- Grief and Revenge

Ben's POV

"Forasmuch as it hath pleased Almighty God of his great mercy to take unto himself the soul of our dear sister here departed, we therefore commit her body to the ground; earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in sure and certain hope of the Resurrection to eternal life, through our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall change our vile body, that it may be like unto his glorious body, according to the mighty working, whereby he is able to subdue all things to himself..."

I heard the minister say as Ellen's body was lowered in the ground. She did have cancer and a few days ago she had lost the fight. I had put her in a hospice facility a few months ago, while I went in search for my daughter with my cousin Steve as there was nothing more I could do for her.

As much as I hated the fact that I truly never loved Ellen, I didn't want her to suffer more than she had. She had been telling the truth about the cancer and after Lilly went to England I still didn't give into Ellen's sexual whims.

I did a small graveyard service to at least give her a decent burial. She wasn't close to her family so it was just me and Steve.

We had actually shared some good times. Now she was lying in a coffin finally looking restful. A part of me hated that she died alone in hospice, but I knew she was in a better place. I threw the white rose in as the helper began to throw the dirt on top of the coffin.

"Are you ready?" Steve asked as I stood there looking down in the grave.

"Yeah, let's go."

We were headed out the cemetery when my phone began to ring. I looked down and saw a number I didn't recognize. I hit the talk button.

"Hello?"

"Yes is this James Dillard?" I heard a woman on the phone ask.

"Yes it is."

"My name is Carmen Baptiste and I heard you have been looking for Lilly Monroe's baby?"

"Yes, yes!" I said as I got in the car.

"I think I might be able to help you. I was Mr. Monroe's assistant during the time Lilly was pregnant."

"Are you here in New Orleans Ms. Baptiste?"

"No I have moved to Las Vegas."

"Do you mind if I come and see you in person?"

"Sure. I live in Westmoreland retirement village."

"May I ask how did you know I was searching for the child?"

"My daughter works for the state. She was the one that helped you at the agency. She called me when you all could not find anything on the child. Mr. Dillard, you would never find adoption papers on that baby because Mr. Monroe sold that baby to the highest bidder."

I nearly dropped my phone. How could a man sell a child? If he wasn't already dead I would kill him with my bare hands.

"Mr. Dillard are you still there?"

"Yes. My partner just booked us a flight to Las Vegas. We will be there in a few hours. Thank you so much for calling."

"I will see you soon," she said and I wrote down additional information and hung up.

It had been almost a year of searching. Every time we would get a lead, we would come up short.

"I hope this is a good lead, Steve. If it is I am going to Lilly and lay it all on the line. I want my family and it's been well overdo."

"I totally agree Cousin," Steve said pulling out the cemetery.

I closed my eyes and sent up a silent prayer asking for this lead to pan out. I was on a mission and in order to get Lilly to see me, I needed this confirmation.

It had been a long time since I last seen her. She had gone to England which started out as a time for rest and now it had turned into months. Steve would give her an update on his findings and I could tell she was getting frustrated.

Our last lead led us back to New Orleans a few days ago. We went to the state petitioning adoptions records. The young lady had told us she knew Lilly and discreetly she check the system to find nothing and while we were here, Ellen had died stopping us from continuing.

This search had taken us to six states and months of research that all seem to be a waste. The Nuns went back and forth as some were deceased, some were too old to remember and others were so mixed up in the head they didn't know fact from fiction. This was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I was starting to think that this nightmare would never end.

We made it to the airport and bought our tickets. The money that Lilly was investing in this search gave us plenty of money and resources. Since I left Lilly, I had been working with Steve as his assistant.

I sold my house and had my cars in storage. Ellen had gotten a life insurance policy years prior before she was diagnosed with Cancer. The policy was paid off and so I was able to bury her not too far from her family's plot. She didn't get along with her family and none of the live ones showed up to the service.

"You ready my man?" Steve asked as we boarded the plane.

"Yeah I just hope and pray she will lead me to my daughter."

"Well we will have to keep our fingers cross," Steve said taking his seat. I looked over at him. I was trying not to get my hopes up to high for a major disappointment.

"But you know what? Let's think positive. I actually have a good feeling about this. I think we will find the break we been looking for," Steve said as we strapped up and the plane began to take off.

Lilly's POV

Lately I had been having dreams about holding my baby girl in my arms. It seemed like the search was never ending. I know she is a woman now but the bad part about it, my father took away my joy.

I have been living in England for a while in Cambridge and I was ready to go back home. Even with all the misery of what awaited me there it was finally time to go.

"Is everything packed," I asked one of the maids.

"Yes ma'am," she said curtsying.

"Good, please have Harrison take the bags down to the car." She nodded and quickly walked away.

I walked into the parlor to find Monique sitting on the sofa reviewing a folder. She had come with me to England since the attack on her life. After a few weeks of rest she was back to her old self, but I knew sometimes she would become distant. I had gotten her to see a doctor and it has helped.

"Good Morning Ms. Monroe," she said looking up at me. She went to pour me a cup of tea.

"Good Morning Monique. I hope all is well?" I watched her fixed the tea and handed it to me.

"Yes ma'am I have the figures on Ricon Industries." She handed over the figures and I took a seat. I smiled going through the sheets paper. The figures looked really good.

"Very well done. You and your team have done an outstanding job. When can we get this ball rolling?" I said looking up from the file.

"I have spoken to Malcolm and he said within two weeks."

"I want it in a week, Monique. Tell Malcolm too much time has already passed."

"Ms. Monroe, I don't think we should rush this. We need to make sure the accounts in Switzerland match up. The bank said five days and that's calling in favors."

"I hire the best. Offer Olson more control of a few investment accounts. Offer him access to some of Altron Electronics stock. He should bite."

"Yes ma'am." Monique picked up her phone and made the call.

My phone began to ring and I looked down to see Detective Gunter. He had taken a leave of absence from the NOPD and was working for me. I had him focusing on Lauren's death and the real reason why Monique was attacked.

"Excuse me," I said getting up.

I hit the talk button.

"Ms. Lilly?"

"Yes Detective."

"Two more of your girls are missing. Katie Jacoby and Rachel Fergerson. Mrs. Ashford called me a few minutes ago."

I was puzzled, until I heard my phone ringing. It was Marci calling.

"Hold on Gunter."

"Lilly it's Marci. I'm at Rachel's apartment and she is not answering. I just left Katie's apartment and she didn't answer either. They won't return my calls and Rachel's car is in the parking garage. I called Gunter but I came over to see if they would answer. Rachel nor Katie showed up last night."

"I am on the other line with Gunter. I will send him over there."

"Okay, I will stay here until then." I hung up with Marci and spoke to Gunter.

"Marci is over at Rachel's apartment. I own the building and I will let the property management know you need to get in there the same with Katie."

"Yes ma'am. Anything I find I report back to you."

"Thank you Gunter. Oh by the way check out Bradford Cole."

"Is there any particular reason why?"

"Yes, he may have information on their disappearance."

"Okay will do," he said hanging up the phone. We hung up and I walked back in the parlor.

"Olsen said give him twenty-four hours and you will have the needed confirmation. I offered him twenty percent holdings and he gobbled it up."

"I knew he would. Even if he squandered it, it won't make a dent in profits. CJ transferred majority of the assets a few weeks a ago."

"Very smart thinking Ms. Monroe," she said nodding her head.

"May I ask why there is such a hurry on obtaining Ricon? We normally do years of research on companies before we offer a buyout."

"I got an inside scope that funds are running low. The person that truly runs it has been running it into the ground all because they want to ruin me. They have been coming after me for years and now it is time to pay the piper."

I could see the confusion on Monique's face.

"It's simply revenge my dear." I smiled a full grin.

"The limo is here Ms. Lilly," the maid said standing by the door cutting our conversation short.

"Thank you. Are you ready Monique? It's time to face those that have wronged us."

I picked up my phone and called Jennifer my assistant back in New Orleans. Harrison and a few of the other maids were getting ready to follow us in the cars behind us.

Monique got up with the files and her briefcase in hand. I knew she was curious to know what I was speaking about. I gave her the look to warn her the conversation was over.

We walked outside as the cool breeze and sun wrapped their arms around us. I would miss the beautiful countryside and the vacation home that Ben convinced me to buy so many years ago.

Fredericka was already in the front seat along with Nicholas my driver. Monique was on the phone and then Fredericka was on hers. The ride to the airstrip didn't take long as two planes awaited us. My staff would be on one and I would be on the other. I needed a little peace and quiet before we arrived in New Orleans.

The stewardess greeted me as I got on the plane. It had been a while since I had been on it. I had learned to start delegating and giving my most capable employees more responsibility until they failed.

Lunch was already set up and I sat down and ate. I heard my phone ringing. I looked down and it was Steve, my PI, I had hired to find my daughter.

"Hello?"

"Hello this is Steve."

"Yes how may I help you."

"We have a lead. I didn't want to get your hopes up, but a Carmen Baptiste contacted me and told me she knows something about the child. I am on my way to Las Vegas to meet with her."

My breath caught in my chest. She was my father's new assistant before he sent me away. I had only met her once or twice. Her name had totally slipped my mind."

"Whatever you find please keep me informed."

"I have a very good feeling about this," he said.

"I really hope so. Do you need me to meet you there?"

"No we can handle it. We will be in contact soon," he said and hung up.

I really hoped this was a true lead. If she could just give us information I would be truly thankful. Throughout the months every lead would turn into a brick wall. Every time I got my hopes up, they would deteriorate leaving me all cried out and numb.

The more I thought about my father taking my baby the angrier I would get. He was truly manipulative and he never wanted me to find my baby. He left me to rot in my own hell. He made sure every loose end was tied and burned never to be reopened.

Although he was a shrewd business man, I could be an even bigger shrewd business woman. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

I sat back on the sofa and tossed my phone. This flight would give me enough time to think and to plan out my strategy alone.

I really hope that last night with Cadence being Mistress helped her realize the confidence and strength she possess. She reminds me so much of myself. She has a great future ahead of her especially in the area she will be persuing. I am willing to help her as much as I can because I still feel this connection towards her and I want her to be the best.

I really did miss Ben too, oh hell James. He kept his identify a secret for so long. I was still trying to figure out if I was hurt or angry. I could tell him anything and he never judged. I was willing to meet him halfway. Deep down I still loved him like that foolish sixteen year old girl and when I got back to New Orleans we would sit down and talk.

As I looked out the window I thought about the call I received a few weeks ago from an old friend. He told me that a company called Ricon was trying to undercut me on some of my contracts I had in Argentina and Chile.

This company was small change but as the years went by, they had become competitive. It was a construction company started by the one and only George Mayer, III.

When I heard the name I cringed.
Bernard had told me about Ricon and that he had incriminating information on the owners. He had proof of their criminal activities and as soon as I returned it would be mine. I thought since most of the family was deceased I would never hear from them again. Now there was a new generation thinking they could seek revenge on me, well they had another thing coming.

I would bankrupt them until they had nothing. I would go in and take what was left and buy it for pennies on a dollar. They wouldn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out. This time each member of their debacle family would be ruined and begging at my feet for forgiveness as I laughed and squash them under my red bottom shoes.

Bradford Cole would get his due. He was brought in as client under false pretenses and I had a feeling he had something to do with the attacks of my girls. Bernard also told me that Darren Stevens worked for Bradford. How convenient? He even paid for Darren's attorney. It was all a set up.

I had hired a team that no one knew about including Monique and Malcom. That team had been devising a plan to take over Ricon for weeks before I handed it to Monique and now it was time to put the nail in the coffin.

That family had ruined my life all those years ago and was still trying to ruin it but I was a true Monroe and when opportunity reared it's head I was going to take advantage of it.

My phone rang. I looked down and saw Bernard Winston calling.

"Yes?"

"I got the evidence. I will meet you at your home in Uptown when you land."

"Thank you Bernard. I owe you."

"You have helped me numerous times and this was nothing. I want to see them go down." We hung up and I went back to looking out the window.

When my feet touched down in New Orleans, the Mayer family will wished that they never crossed Lilly Monroe.

Marci POV

Katie and Rachel never showed up last night. I had tried calling them all day and night and it would go straight to voicemail. Katie and Rachel were always inseparable. They were frequent fixtures in the dungeon and they completely loved sex. This was their full time job and they made lots of money.

They were both making a lot more than the average escort. They both were divas and their lifestyles reflected it. They were both gorgeous and clients would go head over heels to have them. Their calendars stayed filled with only two nights a week off.

I peeked through the apartment window and everything looked fine. I saw a car pull up and it was Gunter and a short stout man.

They both walked up and the short man unlocked the door. The three of us walked in and an odor hit us.

"Stay here," Gunter said as I and the apartment manager stood in place. Gunter walked to the back. A few seconds later he was on his phone.

"I have a 187 at 3489 Maryland Drive apartment 446," he said walking back in the room.

I looked at him strange. After a few more minutes he hung up.

He turned to the apartment manager. "Mr. Harris is there a security camera that could have capture who could have been at this apartment?"

"Yes, in the main office," he said.

"Wait Gunter what is going on?"

"They are dead. Katie and Rachel are both dead."

I felt my knees going out. "No, that can't be true."

"I'm sorry but they are."

We heard the police and EMS pulling up. Gunter lead me to the sofa and I sat. This was just too much. What was truly going on? First Lauren now Rachel and Katie.

"Who is doing this?"

"Lilly mentioned a Bradford Cole. Does that name sound familiar?" He asked me.

"Yes, he is a client."

"I am going to need his information."

"Do you think he may have something to do with this?"

"I don't know but we will soon find out. Come on let's get you out of here. You don't need to see this."

He escorted me out the apartment and back to my car.

"I will meet you back at Lilly's house," he said.

Gunter left and I sat in my car. My hands started shaking. I could not believe this was happening. I felt so scared. There were too many questions of why someone was doing this and who would be next? I began to cry because I was really scared.

I sat there as shock wrecked my body. I wasn't really close to Katie and Rachel but knowing they were dead made it surreal. I just hoped that Gunter could find out who was behind this before someone else was murdered.

An hour later I was back in Uptown at Lilly's house. I pulled into the driveway and parked. A few moments later Gunter pulled up. I quickly pulled up Bradford Cole's file.

"He is the CEO for Ricon Industries, a construction company. Here is a picture of him." I pulled out a headshot.

"It looks like the same man on the video tape," Gunter said pulling out his phone. "This is from the video from Rachel's apartment."

He turned it on and the video played. Sure enough he was on the tape. I pulled Lauren's file. In her file her client list had Bradford Cole's name on it.

"He has been with all three girls. He was at the ball last night and called in for Cadence on Friday. Oh my gawd, he is the link," I said putting two and two together.

"We need more evidence. We have to catch him in the act, Marci. This is all circumstantial evidence."

"I refuse to put Cadence's life in danger. I won't do it!"

"We don't have a choice! Marci."

"Yes we do, I'm calling Lilly." I picked up the phone and started to dial.

"Wait, maybe we can come up with another idea," he said.

I put the phone down and ran my hands over my face. There was a killer on the loose and he needed to be stopped.

"So what's the other idea?"

"Change location. You could be a substitute for her. I can be in the closet and once things go down I will be in the room with you and can alert the cops."

"Are you crazy! I am a married woman. I haven't been in the business for over twenty years. I don't think so," I said rolling my eyes.

"We need to let Lilly handle this," I said picking up the phone. After the third ring it went straight to voicemail.

A few moments later my phone rang. It was Lilly. I explained to her what we found and she said to wait before we turned anything over to the police.

I couldn't understand why we had to wait but somehow I had a feeling there was much more to this.

"Marci, tell Gunter to give me twenty-four hours before he turns this into the police. I will have everything he needs in twenty-four hours."

"But Lilly....,"I said.

"Listen Marci everything will be fine. Go home to Frank and tell Gunter to go home and I will call him. I don't want you worried about this."

"Lilly?"

"Marci I consider you a daughter. I don't want you involved in any of this. Go home and I will call you."

"Okay," I said hesitantly. She hung up and I took a deep breath.

"She said she would handle it. If I know Lilly there is something else going on. She said she would call you later with more details."

He looked at me confused. "After years of working for Lilly Monroe once she says it's handled you leave it alone," I told him.

"I guess you're right. She has more power than the governor or any politician in the state."

"Yeah, but I don't want her stress out. When she had the attack it scared me. I don't want her to be sick again."

"I understand," he said. I shut down the computer and locked up the office. I went to my car and he went to his. I knew that shit was about to hit the fan.

The Next Day - Lilly POV

10:00 am - Ricon Industries

"Yes, I'm here to see Bradford Cole," I said walking in the office.

"Do you have an appointment?" The young dumb blonde questioned.

"You tell him Lilly Monroe is here and I am more than sure he will see me."

She picked up the phone and called. A few minutes later a tall dark-haired man walked out of an office.

"Ms. Monroe what do we owe this pleasure?"

"Timothy McDermitt, I should have known you were working with the snakes. Couldn't work for the best and now you're crawling in the hole with the most despicable vermin that walked the earth. Now please escort me to Bradford's office and close your mouth before flys decide to settle."

He turned around as his face turned red. He was hot and I was loving every bit of it. I had fired him from Monroe Enterprises a few years ago for sexual harassment and costing me several accounts.

I walked into Bradford's office as he was getting off the phone.

"What do I owe this pleasure Ms. Monroe. I thought you were still in England."

I smiled and took a seat. I had brought Malcolm my attorney with me. I had my phone on so Gunter could here everything. I already had evidence but I needed more.

"I came to offer you a deal. I know your company is in the hole due to the mortgage crisis and you have lost millions of dollars. I am willing to buy you out and you walk away."

"Are you kidding me? I will not sell my company to you."

"You don't have a choice. I can buy it now or I can buy it later."

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"I know your mother put you up to this. Did Daphne really think she could pull the wool over my eyes?"

"I'm still confused," he said leaning back in his chair.

"Leave us Malcolm." I kept my eyes on Bradford as Malcolm walked out the room.

"Now that he is gone, we can get to business." I stood up and walked around the office.

"Very nice pictures. I see each generation gets better taste in furnishings and decor. When your mother ran this company she stayed under the radar. I can't believe it took her this long to try and come after me."

"I have meeting to attend too, can we hurry this walk down memory lane up."

"You became a member of one of the most exclusive gentleman's club under false pretenses and you fell in love with Lauren. You wanted her all the time and when you couldn't own her, you became obsessed with her. You got her started on drugs, you were her pimp. I know about your side business."

"You know nothing!"

"Awe but you're wrong. When you found out that she was coming back to work for me after rehab, you had her killed. You would rather see her dead than to have another man touch her."

"I didn't kill Lauren I loved her."

"Who killed her?"

"I don't know!"

"I think you do. You killed her because I have a taped confession."

"She was better off dead. She was depressed because of you. You made her sell her body to rich men and you made all the money. She had to beg you for money."

"She begged me for money because she became addicted to the drugs you were giving her. I didn't know you were a drug dealer because if I would have known I would have turned you in myself."

"If you would have I would have brought you down too."

"I don't think so. I own this city hell this state. I own every judge, prosecutor and the entire police department. Who do you think built the new city and state police department offices. My donation to the city along with a few of my companions have this place on lockdown."

I didn't care if he repeated what I said because he would never get a chance to tell a soul.

"I take care of my girls. I take care of them that they don't have to depend on a man to take care of them. They are independent and why have one man when they have the power to have many men take care of them. Some of my girls live better than the wives. With a bat of their eyes, men drop to their feet."

He had a scowl on his face.

"This company is new money. When I took your families original company away from them they had nothing left. Somehow your grandfather and mother convinced some Asian investors to loan the money to start this business. I know you all have been turning in fraudulent records because as of two am this morning your father and his friends have been arrested for money laundering."

"How did you know..."

"I make it my business to know. Your parents made fake money because their sweet little boy was spending the real money on my girls because he is a sexaholic."

"How dare you call me that!"

"I know you are a sexaholic. You have spent over a five hundred thousand dollars on Rachel and Katie. You even stole from the Switzerland accounts knowing your company will not be able to make payroll."

"You don't know what you are talking about."

"You see you are broke. This company is broke. You all knew the Feds were after you that's why you tried to cut my deal in Argentina and Chile. Some money was better than none. You know your company would not have been able to finish the job."

"So why do you want to buy my company then?"

"Because I can. Money may not make you happy but it sure can make people lives miserable."

"Shut up!" He said yelling at me as if I was the child.

"That's right your family never had manners, so why would I expect you to have any. Does the little boy want to cry? Where is mama now? Oh that's right she is in custody too for killing Katie and Rachel two days ago."

"She didn't kill them!" I could see Bradford turning red in the face.

"Once you found out about the dungeon you let Langston train you to be a submissive. You liked getting the attention that Katie and Rachel were giving you. My girls paid you attention and treated you like a pet and you loved it. Whatever they asked for you gave them. When Daphne found out the amount of money you spent on them, she freaked. After you left them she went in behind you and shot them. Rachel had a video camera in the bedroom and both of you were on it."

"You're lying!" He stood up from his desk.

"Just like you and your mother tried to have Monique killed. You all thought hiring her sick deranged ex you could hurt the deal in San Domingo. She wasn't attacked because she use to be an escort, you were trying to stall the project. With her out of the picture, you all could have won the bid and have them sign. But the first lesson in business is to always have a back up. I always have a back up."

"I will kill you if you go near my parents. Because of you, you have ruined my family. You are the cause my uncle is dead and you are the reason why my grandfather killed himself. You are the reason we have had to gravel to get what is owed to us. If you want the company, I will sign the papers to be done with this bullshit."

"Too late the offer is reneged. There really wasn't a deal. Once everyone is indicted the company will go into bankruptcy and foreclosure. Why give you an absurbed amount of money when I can buy the building and equipment for pennies on the dollar? As of today Ricon Industries is no longer."

I turned around as I heard the door open. Four police officers walked in.

"Mr. Cole you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent, and that anything you say can be used against you. You have the right to consult with an attorney and to have that attorney present during questioning, or an attorney will be provided at no cost to represent you." The officer said as he patted Bradford down removing everything from his pockets. Officer Thomas tossed the keys to the other officer and he put them in his pocket. I nodded as they handcuffed them.

"You bitch! You will not get away with this," he said as the four police officers that were on my payroll arrested him.

"I may be a bitch, but I will never be a pussy like you. Mr. Jung and Mr. Nakimoto are awaiting your presence and I promised to deliver you to them. You messed with the wrong people, Mr. Cole. I hoped you are all prayed up."

He growled at me as they led him out.

I looked out the third story window and looked down as I saw Bradford getting into the unmarked car and the other officer headed to the parking lot to get Bradford's car.

"Are you ready Lil?" Malcolm asked from the front door.

"I think so. Has the deal been done?" I asked turning to look at Malcolm. He was the splitting image of his late father.

"Yes all creditors have filed for debts unpaid. They total more than ten million including undone jobs."

"Good we can swoop in at a higher price and finish the jobs. It's a win win situation. I do want to buy the equipment at discount, when it becomes available."

"Got it, I already had it on my list."

We walked out the office as people were scrambling trying to figure out what was going on. We walked up to the elevator and pressed the down button.

"How are you feeling?" Malcolm asked me.

I pushed my shoulders back and brushed off the invisible lint. "I feel like my old self again." I smiled and entered the elevator. I turned around and watched as the doors closed on a part of my difficult past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There will be one more chapter before I start on volume two. I hope you enjoyed this chapter as we found out why the girls were murdered. Lilly is back and things are about to change.

Thanks for reading and I hope you continue to enjoy. Please leave your thoughts, comments and votes. I really appreciate it.

Thanks to you all for voting on me for being one of the most active people on Wattpad. Thanks again.