Chapter Twenty-Six - Haunting From The Past

Monique Laverne looked out the huge picturesque window on the fourth floor of the high rise building that housed Monroe Enterprises. The moon had just made an appearance and she knew it was time to clean off her desk and get ready for the weekend. She had just come off a two week vacation and being Director of Finance, she had folders of contracts on her desk that her Assistant Director could not authorize. She had come a long way personally and professionally from being an escort to working legitimately for Lilly.

About six years ago, when her boyfriend Marlon hurt her she ran away from him. Living on the streets of New Orleans was guaranteed to get you raped or killed. She was living on the streets until she met a tall beautiful blonde lady one night that changed her life forever.

Monique would never would forget that night that the lady changed her life forever. The woman was dressed in a designer black ballgown and beautiful black pumps that glittered. Her demeanor screamed money, poise and something else Monique didn't actually recognize until later, compassion. Her blond hair was pinned up and her neck and ears were draped in diamonds. She had come outside to get a breath of fresh air as she turned and saw Monique.

"Are you okay?" She asked Monique with concern in her voice.

"Just cold and hungry," she said.

"Wait right here. I will be right back."

Monique stared at the woman as she walked back inside. She was probably going to get security to escort her off the premises. She was scared because she didn't have anywhere else to go. She found out they were having an event at the hotel she was sitting on the side of and she was going to eat the leftovers when they dumped them in the trash.

She hadn't even finished high school and no one would hire her. She had tried but every time she went to apply they would turn her down. Her parents were in Georgia and had told her if she left with Marlon she could never come back. She was on her own and it was a miserable existence. She had cried so many nights that she had run out of tears and wanted to kill herself but just couldn't bring herself to do it.

A few minutes later the woman came out in her mink coat and a tall handsome gentleman stood beside her.

"My name is Lilly and this is Ben. What is your name?"

"Monique."

"Well Monique it is going to rain tonight. If you come with us I can provide shelter and food."

"What is the catch?" Monique asked curiously. No one had been this nice to her in weeks since Marlon hurt her and she left. The few men that had offered only wanted one thing. Three different times men had tried to assault her but she fought back and survived. The only problem, was that she wasn't sure how much longer she could fight them off until one of them won.

"Just to talk," Lilly said.

"What is talking going to accomplish?"

"Well it will get you off the streets at least for a night, warm food in your stomach and different scenery. Plus who knows, I might be able to get you a job."

Monique looked at the rich woman in front of her. Small drops of rain started to fall. She didn't want to be stuck in the rain and her stomach was so empty she wanted to wretch.

"Okay, but no funny stuff."

The three of them got into a black town car. The man Ben, opened the door as they got in the back seat. Ben rolled the windows down a little. Monique knew she probably didn't smell so good because living on streets and having no money could make you seem like a second class citizen.

The ride only lasted a few minutes as Ben pulled up to a duplex. Ben opened their door and Lilly escorted Monique up the stairs. Lilly slowly unlocked it and turned on the lights.

Monique walked in and was in awe. The lavish furnishings all looked to be custom designed from the handcrafted sofas, to the original paintings that adorned the walls making it look like something from a magazine.

"Do you like?" Lilly asked as Monique's mouth was opened in awe.

"Everything looks so... I mean it looks like a showroom."

"I will definitely tell my architect and designer, Nicole Anderson that her work is admired. I think she has outdone herself on this one. Come let's see the other rooms."

Lilly showed Monique around the two bedroom home with an office, large kitchen and living room.

"I bought this place because most of the houses in this neighborhood are rundown and through a neighborhood revitalization program through the city, I figured I could get other investors to try to bring the neighborhood back. I bought six out of the fifty homes here. I had them torn down and rebuilt and with the help of Nicole and her husband Derek, I think it might work."

"Wow, this must have cost a fortune to buy all the materials, hire people and do all of this."

"It did but sometimes things have to be torn down and rebuilt in order for people to appreciate it."

Monique turned around and looked at her. Was she referring to her or the houses?

"Come, Ben has gotten you some food. We will talk after you finish." Lilly led her back to the dining room off the kitchen. There was a table with four chairs and piles of food were on serving containers.

"I wasn't sure what you like so I got, a little of everything," Ben said smiling.

On the table was red beans and rice, fried fish, potato salad, fried shrimp, stuffed crabs, hush puppies and salad. Monique looked at both of them.

"Pat O'Brien's is down the street and I know the owner so help yourself."

"I can't eat all this by myself. Aren't you two going to eat?" Monique said sitting at the table.

"No honey it's all yours so eat up," Ben said. "I have those things you requested Lilly," Ben said to Lilly as he walked back out to the car.

"Bring them in and put them in the bedroom to the left." Ben nodded and headed back outside.

Lilly went and took a seat in front of Monique and watched her. Without the dirt and grime, she had the right bone structure which made her look like the girl next door.

Monique's hair was knotted up and a few scratches were on her forehead. She was way to thin and looked a little unhealthy. She would have to make her eat and gain enough weight, but what she needed to find out was what type of talent she had? All of Lilly's girls had some talent even if it had to be brought out in them.

"Why are you living on the streets and how old are you Monique?"

As soon as Monique swallowed the last of her food she answered. "My boyfriend abused me and I'm eighteen."

Lilly looked at her and looked away. "What happened with the boyfriend?"

"He hit me, so I left in the middle of the night. He was high. When I met Marlon he was my prince in shining armor. I was in my last year of high school in Atlanta when I got pregnant. My parents kicked me out and Marlon said he would marry me and we would raise the baby together. His dad had died a few years back and Marlon told me we were moving to New Orleans. He lost his job about two months ago and started selling drugs but instead he started using. One night he was so high he kicked me in the stomach and I lost the baby. He had begged me to come back to him and I did. Biggest mistake of my life." Monique wiped the tears from her eyes.

"I didn't even finish high school. I wanted to be a math teacher. I am really good with numbers, but now my life is a mess." Monique started to cry. Lilly got up and walked over to her and hugged her.

"It will be okay. I'm here to help you." Lilly continued to rock her. She knew how it felt to have your parents threw you way and leave you to fend for yourself and the man you love threw you away also.

As Monique settled down, Lilly said, "go take a shower, wash your hair and put some clothes on. Ben has laid out some clothes for you to wear. We will talk more and try to figure out how we can help each other, okay." Lilly pushed Monique's hair behind her ear.

"Honestly, you don't even know me and you are helping me. I don't understand?"

"I understand how it feels to be abandoned by your parents and the man you love disregard you. I have lived on the streets at a time when people took what they wanted from you. You are strong and sometimes we just need a little help along our journey to understand our past to make a new and brighter future."

Lilly reached out her hand and Monique took it. "Don't worry about a thing, I will take care of you."

Monique closed her eyes thinking about those words that Lilly spoke many years ago. When Lilly offered her the job of being an escort so many years ago she thought Lilly was crazy. She didn't want to sell her body for men to use as their pleasure vessel but somehow it wasn't as bad as she thought. Lilly had taught her so much on how to used what God gave her to work in her favor to help her gain the confidence she needed. She was able to control who she wanted to be with and they weren't the average joe blow. They were rich, powerful and handsome men and Lilly was strict on who she let into her secret world. Everyone including the girls were screened, and just like she said, she took care of them.

Of course there were secrets. Deals being made, things that only Lilly knew, but what Monique didn't expect was for Lilly to send her back to school with a GED, bachelors in accounting, a MBA and now she was a certified public accounting. Lilly had gotten her in Tulane and once she got her first degree, Lilly hired her at Monroe Enterprises as she worked on her MBA. Her dream of being a teacher was no longer what she wanted. After Lilly showed her the potential, she wanted to live the life of an independent, well off business professional.

She had showed her loyalty to Lilly and within two years she was Director of Finance. She managed over a hundred people including ten department heads. The freedom to come to a job and actually make a difference meant the world to her. No one knew her history except for she had graduated at the top of her class. Only Lilly, Ben, Lana and Marci knew she had been an escort. A few of Lilly's girls worked for Monroe Enterprises throughout the country and a few in other countries. Many were executives as they to had proven themselves to Lilly. Most were married and had children.

Lilly didn't just threw her girls away when they got too old. She incorporated them in other ways or most left after major accomplishments were done. Marriage was high, professional alliances were made as a lot of her girls became doctors, lawyers, accountants and left the business to pursue their dreams. Lilly didn't try to hinder those that wanted something better. She encouraged you. Although the money was good, she knew when it was time for you to step away. She held this power that none of them could understand. The power of persuasion. She never yelled, but the suggestions she made could determine your thoughts and make you believe it was all your idea. Of course not all girls lived up to expectations but they knew to never cross Lilly. That was a biblical no no.

Monique shut down her computer. Lilly had a policy that nothing financially or employee related leave the office in paper form and anything on a hard-drive or jump drive had to be password protected and thumbprinted. She was running a multi-billion dollar company and didn't want her secrets revealed. People always wanted to know how she took failing businesses and turned them into cash cows. She would always say, "work hard and treat people as you would want to be treated."

Monique smiled. It was so true. When you treat people like people you bring out the best in them and they are loyal to you. She was definitely a fan of Lilly as not only she helped her on her career path, she was welcomed back in her family. There was no amount of thanks she could ever say to Lilly to tell her how much she appreciated her, so instead Lilly asked her for her loyalty. She gave it with no questions asked and now she was reaping the benefits of that loyalty.

Although she no longer worked as an escort she knew many of Lilly's secrets. She pressed the elevator button that lead to the parking garage. It was after eight pm on a Friday night and she was meeting some of her friends at a local bar. She waved to Billy as she walked out the building. She had worked late because she had been in vacation to Atlanta to see her family for two weeks and she had a lot to catch up on and so she stayed.

Her car was parked all the way on the other end of the garage. There were a few cars still parked as she had her keys already out. She looked up to see the cameras that Lilly had installed a while ago. She looked straight ahead when someone grabbed her from behind.

"Make a sound or fight me and I will kill you," the deep voice said in her ear. She struggled in his arms as she kicked him in the shin and ran. He hollered and dropped his hands.

Monique ran as she heard gun shots go off. She felt one whiz by her ear. As panic started to set in, she hid behind one of the cars and held her hand over her mouth. The tears slowly began to fall because why would someone want to hurt her?

She held footsteps coming towards her. Her blond hair that was once in a tight bun was now loose and flowing. She scooted under one of the parked cars as the footsteps got closer. She scooted from underneath the car and made it to the huge brick column that held up the structure of the building.

"Here kitty, kitty," the deep voice said. "I know you hear me. Come out know and you won't get hurt. If I have to get you I can't promise nothing won't happen unless you want to give me something in return."

Monique's mouth twitched. She knew she couldn't panic too much because he had a gun. She kept her back flat against the wall as footsteps came closer.

She saw green and orange lights flashing. They were the lights to the security trucks that Monroe Enterprises used to guard the building.

She knew if she could get to it, she would be safe. Planning her strategy she saw Billy and Skip stop the van.

"Sir, you are unauthorized to be in this lot. Place your hands where we can see them."

Monique was scared to look. All she knew was that the man was in all black and had a gun.

"Sir step back," she heard Billy's cajun's voice yell. Before she knew it gunshots went off. She cringed and jumped as she wasn't sure who had been shot at. She turned to see what was going on and she saw Billy crawling away with with a streak of blood behind him. Then she saw the man in black stand right behind him and shot Billy in the back of the head.

Monique covered her mouth as tears ran down her face. She didn't want to die. As she watched the man walk to the other side she saw him raise his hand and shoot Skip. She was in disbelief. As her body turned back she felt something stick her in the neck as she turned in horror. The handsome face she use to admire turned into a distance memory.

~~~<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So who do you think is trying to send a message to Lilly? I will give you a hint. It is someone that has been mentioned in the story so far. Will try to get one more chapter done this weekend. Thanks for reading, voting and commenting.