Chapter Fifteen- Changes

I had just finished swimming five laps in the pool when I heard my phone ringing. I jumped out and looked at the screen to see Marci calling. I slid the bar across the front and answered. She told me that Paul had decided to become one of my clients. I wasn't really surprised since we had spoken a few days earlier.

Paul had seemed like a really nice guy. His past relationship had made him a little bitter and I could only imagine how I would feel. The time I spent with him and his niece was nice. Tara was absolutely adorable. Her short blond hair and twinkling blue eyes would have you wrapped around her finger.

Paul on the hand was very attractive and a ball of laughter. It felt nice just to hang out with him under no pressure. Evan and Robert made me feel good sexually but could they provide the entire package. I wasn't expecting anything in return fro them. I knew it was just a job, but the others like Marci and Amberly had seem to find the one for them. I was still young but I knew later on in life I wanted to find that someone who would protect me, make me laugh and love me for me.

I walked in the house to find the girls still gone. They had made friends with a couple of girls down the street. They were growing up so fast and before long they would be graduating and attending college. Although we were seven years apart, I loved them as if they were my own. We would always be close but they could never know what I did for a living. If they were to ever find out, I know it would crush them, but they would have to understand, that I did it for us, but once I got my degree I would use this as a stepping stone and move on to bigger and better things.

I walked up the stairs and entered my room. I was blessed to be living in this home. Rent paid, money in the bank, my own car and my sister's happy, but sometimes I wondered if things had been different, where would I have been?

My goals were to be a CEO of a major hospital. Running the day to day operations. I wanted to help people to ensure they would get the best possible care, but of course that ended quickly as the dynamics of my personal life changed. Life is always not pretty but you have to make the best of what you have.

I looked in the mirror at myself. The person before me looked the same but things had changed so much in the past week that I couldn't even explain it. I was still resentful of my parents and I hoped in time I could forgive, but the cut ran so deep, that I felt I could never recover.

I got up and took my shower. The hot steam and water danced off my body as the stress of the past slowly left my body. There were things I could not change in the past so beating on the door wasn't going to change anything.

I looked in the bathroom mirror to see my old self again. I touched my hair feeling the thickness of it and decided it was time for a change. The other day I passed by a salon called Evie's. I wanted to do something different and I knew if I was to go to Ms. Lilly's stylists he wouldn't do what I wanted him to do, so I hurried and dressed and drove over.

Evie's HairSalon was on North Carrolton in the middle of the projects. I walked in without any appointment. The place was nice to say that they were directly in the hood. There was a guy selling fake handbags and jewelry while another lady was selling plate lunches of fried fish with potato salad, peas and a cornbread square for six dollars. It smelled so good that I actually bought a plate.

"Can I help chu?" A tall Jamacian black woman walked from behind a chair that had a client sitting in it with green rollers in her head. Her curly hair was pinned up in a side donut. "Do chu have an appointment?"

"Actually I don't. I saw the sign saying you take walk-ins. I wanted to get a haircut."

"Why child you want to cut chu hair? People pay good money to get hair like yours."

"I just want to do something different."

"Okay, I can take chu in about ten minutes. Let me finish rolling her up and chu next. By the way I'm Maxine and you are?"

"My name is Cadence, please to meet you." She shook my hand and walked back to her chair.

I looked around and saw two very attractive girls and one looked Italian and the other maybe Grecian getting their nails done. The lady named Evie from what I could see on her smock was talking to a beautiful young girl that had straight hair as long as mine. You could tell she was black and her beautiful skin glowed as Evie sang her happy birthday.

"You ready Cadence?" Maxine asked as I walked towards her empty chair.

"I think we should layer it, make it look sexy."

"Sounds good to me."

She felt my hair. "Oh no Evie, two in one day. Christina you have a twin. I am going to need a hand vacation working with you two."

I looked over and saw the girl Christina winked. Everyone laughed and three hours later my head felt lighter and my whole looked changed. Maxine was a miracle worker. My hair was straight and the layers framed my face making me look like a supermodel. Everyone gave their approval and then I scheduled my weekly appointments.

It's amazing what a new haircut can do to our confidence. I walked out of Evie's Salon feeling like a million bucks. I jumped in my car and headed to Canal Place. I bought a whole new wardrobe for myself and soon I was back at home.

I went to the closet and pulled out all my dull clothes and selected modern wear. Baggy jeans were replaced by skinny jeans, old t-shirts were replaced with name brand blouses. My old sandals were converted to sleek high heel sandals. I had a keep pile and Salvation Army pile. It was amazing that the Salvation Army pile took over my room. An hour later I was headed to the Salvation Army making my donation.

Leaving the Salvation Army I got a call from Sara. She was the night operator that handled all incoming calls. I picked up.

"Hello Sara."

"Hi Cadence. I got a call from Evan McCain. He is in town for tonight and he would like to meet you for eight pm, would you be available?"

With a smile on my face I agreed to meet with him. He wanted me to attend to listening party at the Barcade Studio Patio in downtown New Orleans. I looked at my watch and only had three hours to get ready.

I was excited to see Evan. I felt confident that I could half way take care of his needs. I had missed Evan in the past few weeks and I hadn't spoken to him since the night of the party when he made my body come alive. Just thinking about him gave me a warm sensation. Was I becoming a sex fiend? I really hoped not.

I selected a long black Prada dress that showed off all my curves and lifted my boobs. There was a long split up the side and a dip in the back. I had smoky eyes and wore the diamond tear drop necklace that I bought earlier in the day with the matching earrings. I put on my five inch Prada stilletos that buckled in the back. My hair was pulled to the side as bouncy curls framed my face. Red lipstick was applied to my lips and my confidence was shining through.

Looking back at myself in the mirror and I felt I could take on the world. I grabbed my black clutch and filled it with my necessities; which included a travel toothbrush/paste, a pair of panties, deodorant, bottle of Coach rollon perfume and a brush with a ponytail holder. I grabbed my keys and wallet and headed out the door.

~~~~~~~

Hey, I know this was short but I thought I would give Evan his own chapter. I decided to add Chris, Val and Charla for fun so if you haven't read Christina's Peril (Book 2 of Forever Soulmates check it out, but read book 1 first). Thanks a bunch for reading, I'm glad you are enjoying this story. It simply amazes me that this story had 250-700 reads a month ago and now it has over 10,000. I just want to thank you for your support and comments, please feel free to comment good or bad, all comments are welcome. Thanks again everyone. Talk to again in the next chapter.