Chapter Thirty-Two - The Date

"Hello Evan," I said looking down at his arms that were held out to me. I couldn't resist so I walked right into his embrace.

His cologne mixed with his manly scent almost made me rethink this date. He could probably have me naked in two minutes flat with my back to the wall. He smelled so good, his hair was trimmed perfectly and his suit made him look like pure sophistication. Those piercing amber eyes made me weak at the knees.

"I'm glad you were able to make it," he said pulling back from the embrace. I felt a twinge of loneliness when he released me.

"I'm glad you asked," I said looking around. The patio was set up with white lights and candles. Soft jazz played as we were the only two on the patio and the full moon's glow cascaded across the water almost making it glow. The ripples from the waves brought in just enough cool air to break away the humidity from the heat of the day.

"You chose a good night. The weather is perfect for dinner out on the patio," I said as he pulled out my chair.

"You're right it feels good outside for a change. It's been so hot down here lately I was hoping it would finally cool off. You look beautiful tonight I might add."

"Thank you dear sir, you don't look too bad yourself," I said praying I wasn't blushing.

"How is your friend in the hospital, is she doing okay?"

"She is still in ICU, but we are praying that she will make it through. This weekend has been awful and I wished it would be over and start anew."

"I definitely feel you on that. With my number one artist in the hospital for trying to OD, and other personal issues, I can't blame you for wanting the week to be over."

I looked at him and could see a little sadness in his eyes. We were interrupted by the waiter.

"Good evening. My name is John Paul and I will be your server tonight. The chef has prepared a delightful meal for you Mr. McCain and your lovely guest."

He handed us a menu of the five course meal and the wine list that would accompany the first three courses and the main dish.

"The chef has prepared turtle soup as your first course, crab meat tossed salad with baby greens and special seafood dressing, Oyster Rockefeller as your third course, roasted duckling with new boiled potatoes with ginger string beans and ending with our famous classic banana foster."

"Wow, it all sounds delicious," I said giving John Paul my menu. "Mr. McCain, I must say you have outdone yourself. If I didn't know any better I would think you were trying to impress me," I said winking.

I could see him blushing a little. "Well I made you wait last time and the big mess with those girls, I figured I had to step up my game."

"Well you did." We both laughed as John Paul poured the wine. I took a sip of the Pinot Grigio. It was smooth as it hit my palette.

"Very good," I said putting the glass on the table.

"Glad you like," he said sitting in his chair unbuttoning his suit coat.

"How is RJ2? My sisters listen to him, but of course the clean version."

"He should be getting out in a couple of days. Hopefully he has learned his lesson. It just amazes me that he didn't have to want for anything and he would still try to kill himself," he said shaking his head.

"I think sometimes people feel that no one wants them, or they are not good enough and figure the world would be better off without them not realizing they hurt the ones they love."

"You speak from experience," he said sitting up and placing his hands on the table.

"Yeah actually my mother committed suicide. Then my father died of a heart attack from all the drugs and drinking he did, leaving me to raise a set of twin girls. I didn't know anything about being a mother, hell I was in school trying to better myself. I had no idea that my mother would have those suicidal tendencies." I tried not to cry. I quickly straighten up.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said anything," he said reaching for my hand.

"You didn't know. Sorry about the tears. This is suppose to be a date not a sob feat," I said trying to lift the mood.

"Don't worry about it," he said grabbing my hand. "I'm sure losing both parents is difficult in itself. I am sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure it's hard raising your sisters alone."

"You know I feel like I owe them so much. They didn't ask to be born to two people that didn't care about them. They are so sweet and innocence and I just can't understand why a mother would leave her children. You carry them for nine months, suppose to love them and cherish them but you wait years later to say that life is so unfair and that they would be better off. That's bull, my sisters hate her till this day and the same for our father," I said looking out into space.

"I think that's why I try to do right by them. After I took this job, I pulled them out of school and had them homeschooled. I provide a roof over our heads, supply both their needs and mostly their wants, and the trip part about it they have no clue what I do. I lead a secret life that only my friend Emily knows about."

I looked Evan and he pulled out his wallet. He opened it to pull something out.

"My ex-girlfriend dropped her off on my mother's door step almost four years ago."

He passed me a picture of a beautiful little girl. She had two long ponytails, a smile that could light up a room and rosy cheeks. She was on the swing looking up in the sky holding on to the chains.

"She's beautiful," I said looking at the picture of the little girl.

"Her name is Karenna, but we call her Kara. She is my daughter. Actually her guardian on paper."

"You have a daughter?"

"Actually I thought she was mine until I found out my ex cheated on me. Had been going on for years. After she had Kara she just up and decided to leave her child. I had a blood test done and they told me I wasn't the father. It hurt because I had loved Yaritza since freshman year in high school. Now she wants Kara back."

"I hope you don't do it," I was almost pleading with him.

"I am fighting for her. Believe me, Kara thinks I am her only parent."

"Where is her biological father if you don't mind me asking?"

"Yaritza doesn't know. She had slept with so many men before she found out she was pregnant that she would have to go down the list. When she dropped Kara off, I couldn't abandon her so we took her in. We filed papers the next day."

"I commend you. I didn't know. It must be tough."

"I try to keep her well guarded. Sometimes dangerous situations occur and it's good to know that my mom watches over her."

John Paul walked in with their second course. He poured more wine. We dug into our salads, as the crabmeat basically slid down my throat.

"Do you think I could hire the chef? I need to take him he with me." I said smiling taking another bite. Evan looked down at me smiled.

The sound of Anita Baker's Caught Up In the Rapture, played in the background. Evan moved his head. "My mother use to listen to her all the time. She would be in the kitchen and rock to the beat. She would twirl and sing. I would just watch her. She was so caught up one time she nearly burned the kitchen down. The dinner in the oven was ruined so she ordered from a nearby restaurant to have dinner ready by the time my dad came home." He smiled remembering.

I laughed. At least someone had fond memories of their mom.

"I listened to the words one day to see what had captivated her so much about the song. If you listen really hard you can feel the emotion in the words. Will you dance with me?"

He stood up as he reached his hand out to me. I stood and took it. We stood in front of each other as he wrapped his arm around my waist. He slowly grabbed my hand and pulled me into him. He placed his cheek next to my temple and we started to dance.

He began to sing the melody.

When we met, I always knew
I would feel the magic for you
On my mind constantly
In my arms is where you should be

He pulled me closer as I got caught up in his warm embrace. His scent, his touch was sending tingles throughout me. He continued to sing.

We stand side by side
Till the storms of life pass us by
Light my life, warm my heart
Say tonight will be just the start

I love you here by me, baby
You let my love fly free
I want you in my life for all time

Caught up in the rapture of love
Nothing else could be compare
When I feel the magic of you
The feelings's alway new
Caught up in the rapture of you

He repeated the words. Now I could see why his mother loved it so much. You could be so caught up in emotions or passion not realizing what you have in front of you. Maybe I had gotten so caught up in Robert that I couldn't see the forest from the trees. Maybe I was making him the one that I wanted and he didn't feel the same or maybe no one wanted me for me but what I could provide or give. So many things went running through my head.

Evan kissed me on both cheeks. I couldn't help but stare at the water as the music ceased and another one played.

"You okay? Was my dancing that bad?" he said. I don't think I heard him as he called my name.

"Cadence?" I turned around. "Are you okay. You are shivering." He took off his coat and put it on me. He led me back to the table where Jean Paul brought out the rest of our meal.

Evan made small chit chat. I smiled but so much was going through my head. Robert's voice echoed through my head leaving me feeling vulnerable and miserable.

"What's wrong?" He asked with concern in his face.

"Nothing, just enjoying your company."

"Are you sure?" He said finishing his bread pudding.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I gave him a smile.

"Come on, I found the best view of the city," he said getting up. He pulled out my chair and we began to walk down the cobbled path.

"You want to talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about," I said. He didn't need to know my issues. He may have had my body, but I wasn't ready to give him anything else.

We walked silently down the strip until we came to a small sailboat on the lake. We stopped in front of it.

"My lady," he said holding out his hand. The boat was small but big enough for the both of us. He got in and lifted me until I was inside.

"Is this yours?"

"It is. I have this one and another one in the Hamptons. I bring it out when I need to just relax."

"I'm not too sure about this." I said with a panic in my voice. It wasn't that I didn't trust him to drive it I just didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere at night.

"I will keep it anchored unless you decide otherwise."

"Okay," I said looking out. "I didn't bring a swimsuit."

"No problem, we can just sit out and look across the lake. Just relax."

He went down in the cabin and I heard the music playing in the background. I still had his jacket on and every time the wind blew I could smell his cologne from his jacket. I took a seat on the side of the boat. I kicked my shoes off and watched the water as the waves moved to their own rhythm. I wondered how Lilly was doing. She was still in ICU when I left. I hated to leave Ben. He looked so alone.

"A penny for your thoughts?" he asked as he took a seat.

"It's nice out here." I said. It was. It was quiet and just peaceful. He sat for a while not saying a word. He turned his attention to me.

"Can I ask you question?" He asked looking directly at me. I turned to face him.

"Why do you do it?"

"Do what?" I knew what he was asking, but to be honest I just couldn't say it out loud.

"Your job?"

"I do it because I have to support my family. I do it because to be honest it empowers me to know that at that very moment someone wants me and in some small way I enjoy it." Did I really just say that out loud?

"I'm not judging you by any means. Why not work somewhere else. I'm sure there are other jobs out there that you would be more than qualified for."

"Been there done that. When my parents died, I paid their debts. The little money I had left I used it to put a roof over my head and my sisters. We lived in a roach infested apartment because that's all I could afford. We lived in the ghetto. I was scared for my sisters to go outside. I brought home scraps of food to put on the table. It would have been different if it was just me, but I wasn't so lucky. I had food stamps and applied for welfare. I worked and it still wasn't enough."

I closed my eyes. "People always say that they would never do this until one day they run out of choices. I dropped out of school not because my grades were bad, or I partied so hard I couldn't get up, I dropped out because I didn't want my sisters to got to foster homes. My mom was a foster child until she was eighteen. I saw how much she resented us at times, but I refused to let them suffer. I would never let that happen to them." I wiped the tear that was threatened to spill.

"So do you think that one day you might want to get married, have children and have the whole white picket fence." He asked.

"Of course except the white picket fence. This is not my career, Evan. This is a stepping stone to lead into better things."

"So after school you are just going to walk away from this."

"Of course I am. People do things in their lives that they might not be proud of at the time, but to be honest, if it wasn't for this job I would have never met Lilly and Ben who have been more like family to me than my own parents."

"You went this far in life to have to give up your virginity to someone that doesn't even love you. Was it worth it?"

The words he spoken was like a slap to the face. "My virginity was suppose to be for my husband. All these years I dreamt about my wedding night as I would give myself to my husband. I could never get that back again. I would be lucky one day if a man would want me. I probably will be so used up I probably will end up alone. Do I regret it, I do, but did it provide for my needs and my sisters, yes. They don't know what I did and they will never know. I sold it to the person that I thought would cherish it but I was wrong." I heard my voice crack.

"Somebody will love you, Cadence." He said. "You can be happy."

"I don't have a lot of happy memories with my parents like you do. My parents didn't know how to love. Hell, I'm not even sure if I know how to love. I wasn't forced into this lifestyle. You are right, I could have continued the way I was going. I made the decision and I have to live with. With this decision I am able to provide a good life for my sisters, I have a beautiful house, I'm going to one of the best schools in the country and I am able to afford all my needs and majority of my wants. I don't plan on being a housewife. No! Do I believe I can do better, of course and in time I will." I started to put back on my shoes.

"I didn't mean to offend you. I only asked because I'm falling for you. I know what you are and I am not judging. You are right we make our own decisions and I want you."

I looked at Evan. He wanted me. Why was he talking to me like this?

"Why would you want a whore? I'm not someone you can take home to your parents and say, "hi, mom and dad. This is my girlfriend Cadence, oh and by the way she is a call girl, pass the potatoes please." I said with a sarcastic laugh.

"Why are you putting yourself down. You were put into a situation that was out of your control. I can't blame you for doing what you see best for your sisters and yourself. You are still so very young with so much to learn. You are beautiful, smart and caring. Any man would be honored to have you on his arm, especially me."

I shook my head it was all words. Robert threw me out, I'm sure Paul wanted sex for two days and now Evan wanted to be my man, shit give me a fucking break. Arghhhh!!!!! Maybe I need a vacation. How much drama can one person take?

"What do you want from me Evan? You have had my body, what else do you want from me?!" I didn't mean to yell. I was so emotionally drained from the events over the past few days. I felt as my world was slowly crashing down on me. I sucked as a sister, I sucked as a whore and now probably the only man that would want me after this was probably Evan and it scared the shit out of me. I was right no one could ever love me. This was so much to deal with. I was actually caught up in my own rapture and it wasn't a good one.

"You can't have me. I don't fit into your life. I can't do this. I can't do this with you Evan, it's too much. Fight for her, tell her how much you love her and always have Kara's back. Love her, protect her and treasure her and never let her go or she could end up like me." I didn't know the tears had come down my face. My soul and heart was breaking. If my own father couldn't love me what made me think, a regular man could?

I was stupid to think that Robert, Paul or even Evan could love me. I tried the emotional connection and Ben was right, only hearts get broken. Was Evan saying all these things because he actually cared about me or did he just feel sorry for me and thought he was suppose to take care of me? Was I was the poor prostitute that would find salvation if the right man got a hold of me? Yeah that would be the day.

I stood up grabbing my purse. "Thanks for the evening, I'm sorry I ruined it." I wiped my eyes.

He walked up to me and held me. I didn't know what happened. Years of pain from my parents heartless ways, Robert's rejection, the thought of losing Lilly, the choices I had made in my life all came crushing down on me. It was such a heavy weight to carry.

"Shh, everything will be fine. It's going to be okay," he said kissing me on top of my head. He held me tighter as the tears wouldn't stop. Finally after a few moments the tears stopped.

"I better go, Evan. I am so drained right now, I wouldn't be good for anything."

"Come on, I promise I'll find a way to relax you and if you want to talk some more you can or if you just want to sit here we can."

"I'm so sorry, Evan. Maybe I should just go. This was suppose to be a date not an outburst. I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"It's okay, sometimes we just need a shoulder to cry on. You don't have to worry because I will fight really hard for Kara."

"Good," I said smiling. "Then I was right, you can't have me. If your ex found out about me, it could ruin your chances of getting Kara and she needs you. She needs all of your attention right now. I could see the love in your eyes when you first spoke of her. She's beautiful and there is nothin like the bond between father and daughter. I wished I had it, but you play the cards you are given." I straightened up and kissed Evan on his lips.

"Good luck with Kara," I said turning to leave.

"Don't go," he said grabbing my hand. I didn't want it to end with just sex. He didn't need me but the bad part I wanted him.

"I can't stay, because if I do..."

"No sex. I just want to hold you. That's it." I looked at him in disbelief. Somehow I felt that pull he has on me as his amber eyes never left mine. He guided me to the deck with the hatch. I slowly walked down the stairs to see a bed, a dresser and a couple of chairs, with a small kitchenette on the side.

He stood in front of me taking off his jacket I had on and unzipped my dress until it fell to the floor. He took off his shirt and pants until he was just in a undershirt and boxers, as I stood in my bra and panties. He pulled the covers back and we both got in. He put his arms around me and brought me close. He kissed me on the back of my neck.

"Go to sleep, my angel," he said softly. "When this is over I'm coming back for you, I promise."

My tears rolled down my face. The questions were how long and would he actually come back for me?

~~~~~~~

Very emotional chapter for Cadence. This is the first time she shows real emotion of her past life and what motivates her to do what she has to do. We all have to learn not to judge people until we have walked in their shoes.

Hoped you enjoyed his chapter. The next chapter will begin with her six months later.