Chapter Two- The Transformation

I still couldn't believe I was actually doing this. As soon as I agreed with the terms, everything seem to transform. Ms. Lilly didn't play around. She had walked back to her desk and picked up a large leather bound book and began making calls. I was struck in awe. I already had my plans for Tuesday and for the rest of the week.

Ms. Lilly had gone from making my beauty appointments to getting the girls homeschooled immediately. Everything became a whirlwind experience. She made these calls personally. She must have sensed my question.

"This particular business is handled by me alone. I will personally see to your transformation and anything that involves your affairs. Benjamin will handle the rest."

I looked at Ben and he nodded.

"Ms. Montgomery I suggest you go home and pack because tomorrow, your life will change forever."

::::::::Next Day - Early Morning:::::::::::

After packing that night of the few items I would be taking I informed the girls that we would be moving. They were both ecstatic.

"Where are we moving to? We lost our other house. Are we moving in with that old man you take care of. He has that big old house and dust everywhere?" Olivia said asking a thousand questions a minute.

"No. I got us a house by the river. I have been saving up for a while and I am getting a car later on this week. Our lives are going to be so much better. I promise. It's time for us to live better," I said hoping they would stop with all the questions. "Now it is time for ya'll to get ready for school. By the way this is your last day there. You will have a tutor until June. Okay, now lets go."

I walked the twins to school, thanking God this life for them would be over with the drug dealers and pimps on every corner.

An hour later, Ben drove me to Maison Rouge. It was the cream of the crop salon that only the upscale went to in Uptown New Orleans. Normally appointments were booked months ahead of time but Ms. Lilly had some pull. I walked in and noticed ladies drinking mimosas and sipping champagne. Some were drinking tea and talking. A few looked up and smiled while some others were trying to figure out who I was.

"You must be Cadence. I'm Amanda and I will be taking care of you. Step this way." Amanda was a pretty girl. She had a long blonde ponytail that swung with every step she took.

"Ms. Lilly told me exactly what needed to be done so lay back and enjoy. Cyndi will be here in a few to do your nails. Claudine will come in with clothing and I will start with your facial and then on to hair and makeup. Would you like something to eat, we have shrimp ravioli and crab fritters and we have just about any drink under the sun?"

"Oh, no I'm fine, thank you."

Four hours and forty-seven minutes later, I stepped out of Maison Rouge looking like a top model. The facial and manicures did wonders and the orange wrapped around dress with matching accessories topped off the look.

Amanda had given me my appointment for next Tuesday, which would actually become my permanently day. Of course she offered her services at other times if needed.

I looked in the mirror and the once tightly curled ponytail was now straightened hanging loosely down my back. It was long with big bouncy curls looking model perfect. The makeup was natural and my skin was smooth.

The orange wraparound dress complimented my skin tone and the gold accessories were perfect. The orange and taffeta sandals completed the outfit. Smiling in the mirror I looked like a real woman not a sixteen year old girl.

Walking out the salon I felt my confidence rise. It's amazing what hair, makeup, and clothing can do. I thanked the ladies walking out the front door. Ben opened the door to the car and I could feel stares. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.