Chapter Fourteen- Death Among Us

Lilly was sitting in her office on the the twenty-fourth floor of the Monroe Enterprises building in downtown New Orleans when Jennifer, her assistant, buzzed in.

"Ms. Monroe you have a visitor here."

"Who is it Jennifer?"

"Detective Gunter." Lilly's eyes widen at the name.

"Send him in."

Lilly stood at her desk as she watched the tall black haired man walk into the room. Detective Peter Gunter stood about six feet tall with dark brown eyes and a small mustache. He was large in the shoulder and he always wore his badge on his hip. He sported a long scar down the front of his left side of his face. The brown suit he was wearing was wrinkled and he had dark rings around his eyes as if he hadn't slept in days.

"It's been a long time Lilly since I have seen you."

'What do you want Gunter? I'm sure this is not a social call." She rolled her eyes and sat back in her chair.

"Well, I'm sure you haven't watched the news lately?" He asked taking a seat in front of her.

"Get to the point Gunter. I am very busy." She said shuffling papers on her desk.

"Lauren Taylor was found murdered in Tanglewood."

Lilly stared at him.

"Why are you telling me this? Lauren quit over six months ago. We parted ways and I have not heard from her. Why would this concern me?"

"Because, we think one of your clients might have killed her. She was four months pregnant when she died. Her throat was slashed and left in the marsh. Two fishermen found her floating face up in the water this morning.

Lilly turned her face in horror.

"Can you tell me anything about her, that can help us find her murderer?"

"She worked for me for about two years. Her boyfriend at the time kicked her out and she was working at the deli in uptown. I noticed her and offered her a job. She made good money until she started doing cocaine with William Howard. He was a client of mine until he died of an overdose about a year ago. I think she fell in love with him and after that she spiralled out of control. I tried to help her and even tried to send her to rehab, but she stayed a day and ran away. I heard from her months later and I told her I could not have her doing drugs and she got upset. She had about eight regular clients but I can't see them harming her. It had to be somebody else. Each man is given a criminal and background check. I don't deal with low-lifes."

"I need to get a list of her clients."

"I don't think so Gunter. I pay you and her team to keep trouble away. If I have to call higher ups I will."

Gunter threw his hands up. "This may become more than we can handle."

"If it does, then we will have a problem. Goodbye Detective. I'm very busy."

"Well Lilly, if another one of your girls are murdered, I will be back and I may not be alone."

"Well we will have to hope it doesn't happen. Good day Detective."

Gunter stood up and bowed his head. "Until we meet again." Lilly rolled her eyes as he walked out the room. She hated Gunter with a passion but he was one of the best detectives on the force. He was an alcoholic behind close doors. She paid him and six others on the force to keep a low profile about the escort business. She had three of the four judges as clients and if her client list was ever interpreted and found at, all hell would break lose. She had all kinds of clients from government officials, billion and millionaires, moviestars and anybody who was who's who in every arena. She had clients in foreign countries and she could not afford to leak any of that information.

She grabbed her cell phone and called Marci.

"Marci we have a problem."

"What is it, Lilly? If you are calling me mid-day something has to be wrong."

"Lauren is dead, Marci." Marci was silent.

"What happened?"

"She was murdered and found in the marsh in Tanglewood."

"Oh no, that poor girl."

"I need you to find out every single one of her clients and send the list to me. I want a copyrighted file and all paper destroyed. Not by shredder but by fire. Understand?"

"Perfectly."

"Thank you, Marci."

"I will take care of it. Oh by the way Paul Captiville called and wants to meet with Cadence."

"I thought he was upset when she turned him down. He told me personally that he didn't got for second."

"Well he must have changed his mind."

"Well schedule him in. I'm sure Cadence will be surprise. Call her and give her the heads up."

"Okay I will. She should be starting classes today."

"I want a full report. Have her come to the house on Saturday. Is there anything else?"

"No, that about covers it." The ladies hung up the phone. Lilly was still in shock about Lauren. She had tried her best to help her, but Lauren was hard-headed and unfortunately it caused her death.