Chapter Seventeen- Homework

I woke up still stiff from the other night with Evan. He made me feel things that should have been against the law. The way he touched me and caressed me brought in too many emotions for me to name. Even after all the sweet words, nothing could become of us. I was the woman he used to fulfill his sexual desires not the girl you brought home to your parents.

I walked in my bathroom and quickly prepared myself for the day ahead. I had two classes everyday except for Fridays. Somehow I had no classes on Friday but who was I to complain, I was in school trying to recapture my dream. Focus Cadence, Focus. I repeated back in the mirror. I slipped on some skinny jeans with a MK off the shoulder blouse and some MK flats. I grabbed my purse and headed downstairs

When I got to the kitchen there was a note on the stove. The girls had taken a field trip with their teacher to Dela Maison Rouge, a large plantation in Hammond so I knew they would be gone for the rest of the day. I sighed because I haven't really spent anytime with them, so I decided I would take them out this weekend. I grabbed some juice, a bagel and smiled as I was now officially a college student again.

When I got to the door a flower truck was pulling up. I saw the man getting out of the truck with a huge bouquet of yellow roses.

"Ms. Cadence Montgomery?"

"Yes, that's me." I looked at the man with confusion and then a smile covered my face from ear to ear.

"These are for you and I need you to sign here. You are one lucky woman, these were specially ordered from Afghanistan. The true yellow blossoms are hard to duplicate in the US. Oh, and I have this too." There was a small black bag with a small gift wrapped in white paper and a fancy red bow. I took the flowers and the bag.

"Thank you."

I reached in my pocket to tip him and he said, "tip already taken care of. I hope you enjoy the flowers." He walked away and I took them in the kitchen and sat them down next to the black bag.

I found a card inside the flowers and read it.

"In every bunch there's one who stands out and you are that one."

In the bunch of the yellow roses, one yellow rose with a red tip stuck out. I put my hand over my heart. I had no idea who would say those kind words to me. The blossoms were absolutely beautiful. I could tell they were very expensive as the thorns were carefully trimmed in a beautiful crystal vase.

I reached in the black bag and pulled out the gift. I quickly tore it opened to only find a black velvet box. I opened it and inside was a small gold mirror. Engraved on the top were my initials. When I opened it up the inscription read,

"In this mirror you will see the image of the most beautiful woman in the world."

E.M.

The thought of the other night choked me up. This had to be the sweetest thing anyone had done for me. I wiped my tears from my face. I looked in the mirror to see my mascara starting to run. I was just a ball full of emotions lately. This crying shit had to stop, but this was who I really was. It wasn't easy turning off your emotions at the drop of a hat. Although I wanted more from Evan, it wouldn't work. I placed the mirror in my LV bag and touched up my make-up.

I quickly ran out the kitchen smiling knowing those hood rat chicks didn't have a chance.

~~~~~~~~

I made it to the campus. I parked in the commuters parking lot and headed to the business building. My first class, Healthcare Marketing Concepts, was on the second floor. It felt good to walk back on the campus although all my classes were in this building. I took the elevator and heard a deep voice asking me to hold it. I did and a very handsome man walked in.